SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

History repeats itself. It’s obvious now. It was almost predictable back 5 years ago when the hire was made. Rudolph has NOT been a successful coach nevermind a successful DI coach. 

Same is looking true for the young inexperienced Kostich. 

At a minimum, a change is needed at offensive coordinator and special teams coordinator.

Hell, I would give Freund the chance to call plays the final 2 games to see what he can do.

Quaint idea.... could have a call in, text,  OR on-line poll about calls. I mean everyone “votes” while watching TV now. Seems there is no control over play calling. Even a multiple choice option....

ground, air....

long pass, short pass....

punt, QB sneak

the possibilitrs are endless and could be used for offense, defense, and special teams....

on a serious note.... these decisions need to be announced BEFORE the December signing day

43 minutes ago, shep said:

Someone mentioned the other UND coaching situation with Brian Kelly effectively replacing most, if not all, of his staff a couple years ago. It worked there; could work here.

Would hate to see a Cedric Case type recruit have an excuse not to come here, and some of the RS and other recruits as well. We all know how many transferred out after Muss was canned. Hate to see the team lose good players in a coaching regime change.

I could have farted out in Morse Code a better 4th quarter special teams and offensive game plan than we saw yesterday. 

No recruit is worth keeping an inept coaching staff.   Said recruit would never reach their full potential anyway if they're poorly coached.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nodak78 said:

My wish for  Early Christmas is a new special teams coach.  Also Freund promoted to OC and QB coach.  Bring in 2 very good coaches for Special team and WR's.  

I have no clue who the go-to Special Teams Coach or WR coach could be, but he must be able to recruit too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

Someone mentioned the other UND coaching situation with Brian Kelly effectively replacing most, if not all, of his staff a couple years ago. It worked there; could work here.

Would hate to see a Cedric Case type recruit have an excuse not to come here, and some of the RS and other recruits as well. We all know how many transferred out after Muss was canned. Hate to see the team lose good players in a coaching regime change.

Bubbas loyalty will need a push from the AD.  Pretty simple at this point ....option A (changes to his staff) or option B ( complete overhaul) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Longtime fan said:

Bubbas loyalty will need a push from the AD.  Pretty simple at this point ....option A (changes to his staff) or option B ( complete overhaul) 

I understand that exactly what happened to Kelly at Notre Dame.

I'm even wondering about Bubba taking over the DC job or does wearing the HC hat and the DC hat become too much? I know a guy like LIncoln Riley at OK is OC and HC. NO I'm comparing him to a likely NFL coach.

I detest being a fan calling for a change as I am far from an expert, but I think it is time....  Who to replace HC, OC, DC, STC.....  I assume lower level will sort itself out with changes at the top.  I THINK that the Muss hangover has carried over, not good begets not good in the same way great begets great...   Not an easy thing to change, but change you must...  The odds of surpassing Moo U in this reality are astronomical, doubt any program will achieve it, especially if they don't move up.  Being the big fish in a little bowl has its perks..  Hope Chaves has more balls than Bubba.  The sun rose today, hopefully it sets on this coaching staff soon.  Time to move ahead.  Who is a legit D1 coach?

I am getting a real graphic picture.... farting in Morse Code.

1) quit blaming everything on Muss et al.... we are here now for whatever it is worth

2) I think Option A or B...makes it simple 

3) Balls is no longer politically correct.... gonadal fortitude is

4) someone,  not sure who or how many people, has a lot of work to do before mid-December....

5) some people are just NICE and don’t want to confont issues.... time to find someone who will tackle this..... whomever and wherever....

So I don’t think Bubba will actually get canned and man I wish he was more successful because you can just see how much he loves UND but in the hypothetical scenario that we have a new HC next year, who are some candidates at the top of the list? DeBoer has been mentioned but likely wouldn’t want to take the paycut but maybe he wants a HC position?

1 hour ago, shep said:

Brian Kelly has been a boss everywhere he has been, and had recently been successful at Notre Dame.  Can Bubba say the same?

50 minutes ago, shep said:

I'm even wondering about Bubba taking over the DC job or does wearing the HC hat and the DC hat become too much? 

Would easily be too much. Bubba struggles managing the game the way it is. Leave the Bubba and Schmidt arrangement as is and change the OC and ST coordinator. If Bubba doesn't want to do that, remove Bubba from duties and start anew. Chaves knows good football coaches from his time at Eastern Washington. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

So I don’t think Bubba will actually get canned and man I wish he was more successful because you can just see how much he loves UND but in the hypothetical scenario that we have a new HC next year, who are some candidates at the top of the list? DeBoer has been mentioned but likely wouldn’t want to take the paycut but maybe he wants a HC position?

DoBoer won't come here. He's an FBS coordinator having success; bigger things on the horizon for him. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Brian Kelly has been a boss everywhere he has been, and had recently been successful at Notre Dame.  Can Bubba say the same?

NOPE

I made this argument last season but got killed for it because the injury situation was the argument of choice at that time. 

Special teams has cost us dearly at least twice this season. 
And again we're facing injuries which I believe is strength and conditioning related. 

At a minimum those must be addressed. 

But there's a deeper issue and it's been mentioned here: There's no will to defeat an opponent.

I see three levels: winning, defeating someone, and humiliating someone. 

It's like the coaches are afraid to win, much less defeat someone. And I'm not saying humiliate, I'm saying defeat. Defeating someone is going out and scoring one more time to put a game out of reach. It is not sitting back and relying on your defense to run out a clock, and that is just trying to get the win. And just trying to win means you're accepting the real possibility you'll lose. 

Bubba's a nice guy and he's fixed a lot of what was wrong with the program, but I believe he's at the "Duluth" point again. He and his staff won't take the program any further. The personnel are there; the foundations are restored; but whatever "it" is to get the program to the championship level "it" just isn't there with this staff. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

The Deboer ship has sailed.  UND had a chance to hire a young fast riser and instead went with a legacy retread.  Perpetual mediocrity has been the result.  

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

The Deboer ship has sailed.  UND had a chance to hire a young fast riser and instead went with a legacy retread.  Perpetual mediocrity has been the result.  

Agree with this...as did many on this board at the time of the hire.