SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

21 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The problem for me in that situation is momentum.  The series before the defense creates a turnover after the offense and specials gave NAU unbelievable field position at UND 30.  3 plays and 1:44 later the offense has bombed again and the d is back out there again.  No qb change, nothing different.    When we punted, Bubba was signaling the game and season was over.

I am not sure there was a better option at QB a

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

You might be correct, but I think signaling to the team we were willing to try would have provided a spark.  Put in Boltman, at least I have heard he is a actual threat to run.

In middle of 3rd qtr Boltman put his helmet on when we were about to receive punt and I thought he might go in.  Nope unfortunately 

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

As a season ticket holder for 20+ years the not going for it on 4th and 2 sealed the deal for me on my decision not renew my tickets. These coaching decisions/changes aren't changing that. One more year as an independent and one year in the Valley then NDSU comes to the Alerus in 2021. If this program isn't still a total s** show after the 2020 season I'll revisit getting season tickets again......plus it's not like I can get ticket at walk up for any game.

You don't go to the games. You admit that regularly on here. All you do is bitch. Fair weather fans like you are hardly a loss when they "decide not to renew their season tickets." You talk sh*% about how "everybody thinks like I do." Most don't. I couldn't care less whether an @#shole like you (mods, I'll show myself out.) comes to the games or has season tickets. From your posts and attitude, you were never a good teammate, always taking the cynical side of everything so you can say "I told you so...." You mock any enthusiasm for the program and ridicule anyone who shows the slightest optimism. If you are who I think you are, you stand about 5'3 and are equally wide so I doubt your athleticism ever carried the day. You talk about courage, "nuts" but say all this hiding behind a fan forum moniker. The players and coaches have their names on the roster. Pretty brave of you to continually call them out anonymously. I can only hope that in the real world, in your real life, you are not as big a jerk as you are on this forum. (Yes, mods name-calling....see above, I'll show myself out.) I hope I never meet you. At least I know from here on out I won't run into you at the games....since, you know, you aren't renewing your season tickets. Praise the Lord........

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

You constantly hear people commenting about how Siouxsports users overreact about coaching and about UND teams. But I couldn't disagree more 

Grand Forks and UND hold their teams to high standards because it's a winning community. This is great tradition to have and be involved in. If people weren't pissed, then that's when you should start worrying. We care and have high expectations and that's a good thing in my opinion. 

UND ended the season 6-5 which on paper doesn't look glaringly bad, but it absolutely does not tell the story of the season. This season very clearly exposed the worse than poor coaching UND has and something needs to change immediately. 

The same team at the beginning of the year that was giving a very good FBS team Washington a run for their money into the 4th quarter, was unable to run or throw the ball against a very very poor NAU team that had already curled up and died for the year. The HUGE regression this team took week after week after week is 100% on the coaching staff and is absolutely inexcusable at this level. To cut them slack I would love to say that a lot of the other Big Sky teams got better as the year went on and UND just stayed flat, so Bubba needs to clean things up...but that is absolutely NOT true. NAU was a poor team to begin with and they were at the lowest point of their season and they STILL piss pounded UND. That just shows how badly UND back-peddled. I have never seen anything like it. I legitimately think that whatever coaching style they're using somehow actually made every player worse, especially on offense. Everyone seemed so scared to do anything out of the ordinary. The offense looked slow, predictable, scared, tentative and indecisive. Thinking about the QB and OL showing on Saturday just makes me sick and I don't even want to get started on that. Having that many weapons on offense and having that poor of a showing is unreal. It seems like there is a giant bottle neck at Rudy and Bubba that is letting all this talent rot away. I feel bad for the SRs that had to play for this team as they were all made into slightly worse players over their years at UND. I feel even worse for the players still stuck there now. I wouldn't blame them for leaving to another school where they want to develop forward and not be sucked backward. It's 2018 and UND needs some new younger energy that's up with the latest and greatest training strategies and play calling philosophies. 

I will have very minimal support for this team if no changes are made this off-season. These coaches are pathetic 

This might be the best assessment of this season and the coaching staff I have see yet.  Did you see the players looking at each other on the sidelines last Saturday?  It was like "here we go again".  They have seen it time after time, and you could see it on their faces.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ep92501 said:

This might be the best assessment of this season and the coaching staff I have see yet.  Did you see the players looking at each other on the sidelines last Saturday?  It was like "here we go again".  They have seen it time after time, and you could see it on their faces.  

I agree, the body language on the sideline and on the field grew worse and worse as that game wore on.  The punt ended the game.  I am not so sure this hasn't been happening on the team for weeks.

Second half offensive scoring:

MVSU - 14

UW - 0

SHSU - 7

ISU - 0

UNC - 14

UM - 7

SStU - 27

WSU - 3

UI - 10

PSU - 3

NAU -6

91 second half points.  8 games where it was 7 or less after the opposing defense made their adjustments.  We still won 6 games and should have won 7. Crazy.

Since we know for sure who’s gone and who’s staying I’m satisfied with Rudy being gone.  Four years to late but it needed to happen. Finally 

*please do not hire from within! New blood! 

* Being at e wash, the offensive capital of the fcs, Chavez must have some connections or leads.  Use them 

* bubba has a defensive background .  The new guy should be given 100% offensive call rights  Give him the keys with full confidence 

* looking for risk taker, a guy that is able to adjust to in game situations, mix up the pass and run as needed, study film on opposing Ds to attack their weakness or weaknesses and USE YOUR PERSONAL APPROPRIATELY !  Offense 101 

If the attrition holds , there is a lot returning starters combined with talent. Next years team has potential to be very good.   If they are able to find a competent OC (anything will be an upgrade) and the guys are able to learn the system quickly ...this could be a fun group to watch.  I’m cautiously optimistic but nevertheless optimistic.  I would have to think that the defense is happy with today’s news as well  

UND plays @ndsu @ e wash @ Weber , uc Davis , Montana st next year.  Und will need some offense to keep pace with these teams.  

Great move by bubba today. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bubba was signaling he had more confidence in the defense scoring than the offense getting 3 yards. 

Hence the firing of his now former OC and offensive line coach. Any amount of confidence in your offense would mean keep them out there on that particular 4th down; Bubba did not have such confidence and rightfully so.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

You don't go to the games. You admit that regularly on here. All you do is bitch. Fair weather fans like you are hardly a loss when they "decide not to renew their season tickets." You talk sh*% about how "everybody thinks like I do." Most don't. I couldn't care less whether an @#shole like you (mods, I'll show myself out.) comes to the games or has season tickets. From your posts and attitude, you were never a good teammate, always taking the cynical side of everything so you can say "I told you so...." You mock any enthusiasm for the program and ridicule anyone who shows the slightest optimism. If you are who I think you are, you stand about 5'3 and are equally wide so I doubt your athleticism ever carried the day. You talk about courage, "nuts" but say all this hiding behind a fan forum moniker. The players and coaches have their names on the roster. Pretty brave of you to continually call them out anonymously. I can only hope that in the real world, in your real life, you are not as big a jerk as you are on this forum. (Yes, mods name-calling....see above, I'll show myself out.) I hope I never meet you. At least I know from here on out I won't run into you at the games....since, you know, you aren't renewing your season tickets. Praise the Lord........

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Hence the firing of his now former OC and offensive line coach. Any amount of confidence in your offense would mean keep them out there on that particular 4th down; Bubba did not have such confidence and rightfully so.  

Looking back, I'm not so sure the season didn't change drastically at Idaho.  Defense creates turnover on the first play or close to it and gives UND ball deep inside UI territory.  If we punch that in, is it likely Idaho caves and we win by 20+?  The bad part of that scenario is we probably win at NAU, are 8-3, in the playoffs and Rudy and Knauf are still on the staff for one more season.

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

I could not be more disappointed - the big problem still remains - buckle up for more mediocre football.  I firmly believe Bubba can stymie even the most creative O coordinator.  

I tend to agree.  I love the passion Bubba has and believe he desperately wants to win.  But, one thing I’d like to know is what the relationship was between Bubba and Rudy.   Did Bubba hand the keys to the offense completely to Rudy?   Was this truly Rudy’s offense, or was Rudy charged with staying within Bubba’s conservative, vanilla offensive parameters?  

Did Bubba not think some type of shakeup was needed (or not allow it) in opening up the playbook, trying a few new wrinkles or giving a different QB a chance at some point in the past 4 weeks?   He could have and should have instructed the OC that changes needed to be made, weeks ago.  (Or, last year).  If it was Rudy’s offense to run and Bubba didn’t demand some changes, I think Bubba should have been the first one gone.    If it was Bubba’s choice and mandate to “stay the course”,  I'm not sure what will improve with a new OC.  We could get a great new OC, but if Bubba reins him in, it might not be much different.

He looked really, really uncomfortable in the news conference.  I'm guessing he was told to make some changes or the AD would.

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

I could not be more disappointed - the big problem still remains - buckle up for more mediocre football.  I firmly believe Bubba can stymie even the most creative O coordinator.  

If Bubba didn't think changes needed to be made, he would have kept Rudolph. On the other hand, if he brings in Randy Hedberg..............:crazy:

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

I think the correct call was made today.  Special teams is more than a punt formation, which needs to changed by the way.  Kostich brings a lot to the table.  I think the kicker and punter are better next year and that will help, too.  If we ever used TEs maybe we could evaluate him better next year.

They screwed up the blocking all three times on the punt blocks.  That is coaching.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Mussman was a good offensive coordinator and play-caller. Might be too awkward for him and/or Bubba.

everyone recruit is gone, the ad is gone, he's got contacts in the midwest...if we aint gonna get a clean slate might as well bring back muss...he had a nice balance of run pass and was able to get good qb's (until the joe bartels experiment!)

• Upvote 1

One things for sure, if things still don't improve next year than it's all on Bubba.  No way can he dodge the blame again.   Now the big question is, does he hire someone better or will just go back to the same well and take a mediocre candidate?  If we have another 6-5 season next year the program will be such a deep hole we won't see daylight for years to come.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hawkster said:

One things for sure, if things still don't improve next year than it's all on Bubba.  No way can he dodge the blame again.   Now the big question is, does he hire someone better or will just go back to the same well and take a mediocre candidate?  If we have another 6-5 season next year the program will be such a deep hole we won't see daylight for years to come.

100% agree

• UNDBIZ locked this topic