SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

1 minute ago, GoHawks said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4531446-und-football-coach-bubba-schweigert-makes-coaching-staff-shakeup

Schweigert said he would like to move as quickly as possible to fill these roles, adding he’s open to a change in offensive philosophy.

Well that's interesting.....

I guess Bubba finally grew tired of a run off tackle, followed by a pitch out wide, followed by Kett in shotgun falling to the ground.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Schweigert said he made the coaching staff decisions on his own and not under the directive of first-year athletic director Bill Chaves.

Schweigert said he would like to move as quickly as possible to fill these roles, adding he’s open to a change in offensive philosophy.

“We’ll see,” Schweigert said when asked if he wants to stay with a run-heavy offensive style. “We just want to move the football consistently. I think those decisions need to be made as we talk to potential candidates.”

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

Would rather have seen Kostich and Baukol go before Knauf.......

I really can't believe Kostich isn't the first guy gone.......

I think the correct call was made today.  Special teams is more than a punt formation, which needs to changed by the way.  Kostich brings a lot to the table.  I think the kicker and punter are better next year and that will help, too.  If we ever used TEs maybe we could evaluate him better next year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

I think the kicker and punter are better next year and that will help, too.

there was progression throughout the year, I thought.  From what I've read on here, Kostich really connects with the players and is a good recruiter.  Probably what saved him.

• Upvote 1

As a season ticket holder for 20+ years the not going for it on 4th and 2 sealed the deal for me on my decision not renew my tickets. These coaching decisions/changes aren't changing that. One more year as an independent and one year in the Valley then NDSU comes to the Alerus in 2021. If this program isn't still a total s** show after the 2020 season I'll revisit getting season tickets again......plus it's not like I can't get tickets at walk up for any game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I think the correct call was made today.  Special teams is more than a punt formation, which needs to changed by the way.  Kostich brings a lot to the table.  I think the kicker and punter are better next year and that will help, too.  If we ever used TEs maybe we could evaluate him better next year.

Good points. I'm sure the TEs will be used more; they can't be used less. 

19 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This.....^^^

Some people here are as nutless as Bubba.

If this comment is directed at me i will admit I had zero confidence in our offense getting more than ten yards there.  I had more faith in our punter getting off a better punt and pinning them inside the 10, which he didn’t do either.  

13 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

These were the correct decisions. I think Bubba and Schmidt can build a championship defense. The offense, with QB and offensive line being the most disappointing positions, was not even close to an average level from '14 - '18, unfortunately. These were the right moves to make but now let's see who the replacements are - that is very critical. 

I like how Bubba recognizes and addresses the recruiting and depth concerns. This obviously needs to improve, and since he mentioned it, I now expect it to improve. Add it to the objectives for next season.

AREAS NEEDING TO IMPROVE:

1) QB play

2) offensive line play

3) offensive play-calling and scheme 

4) Punt Protection

5) Field Goals and Kickoff

6) Recruiting and Depth (namely offensive line, wide receiver, and now running back and defensive line). 

1 minute ago, homer said:

If this comment is directed at me i will admit I had zero confidence in our offense getting more than ten yards there.  I had more faith in our punter getting off a better punt and pinning them inside the 10, which he didn’t do either.  

The problem for me in that situation is momentum.  The series before the defense creates a turnover after the offense and specials gave NAU unbelievable field position at UND 30.  3 plays and 1:44 later the offense has bombed again and the d is back out there again.  No qb change, nothing different.    When we punted, Bubba was signaling the game and season was over.

12 minutes ago, homer said:

For argument sake.......punt pins NAU at the 10. Say they gain 5 yards on 3 plays. They punt from the 15. 35 yard punt to 50. 8 yard punt return. Where is UND starting with the ball? Huh........

Minus previous minutes off the clock to boot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The problem for me in that situation is momentum.  The series before the defense creates a turnover after the offense and specials gave NAU unbelievable field position at UND 30.  3 plays and 1:44 later the offense has bombed again and the d is back out there again.  No qb change, nothing different.    When we punted, Bubba was signaling the game and season was over.

I would have liked to see a QB change at half at the latest.  The offense needed that shot in the arm and it’s no disrespect to Ket who I have been a fan of.  He was off Saturday (and maybe the one before). 

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

For argument sake.......punt pins NAU at the 10. Say they gain 5 yards on 3 plays. They punt from the 15. 35 yard put to 50. 8 yard punt return. Where is IND starting with the ball? Minus previous minutes off the clock.

The punt there was unconscionable to me.  Bubba was signaling he had more confidence in the defense scoring than the offense getting 3 yards. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

For argument sake.......punt pins NAU attached the 10. Say they gain 5 yards on 3 plays. They punt from the 15. 35 yard put to 50. 8 yard punt return. Where is IND starting with the ball? Minus previous time off the clock.

Go for it on 4th down with what I would call less than 50% chance of converting.  Get that same stop, same punt and same return and your now starting at the opposing 15 with previous time off the clock.  

Its all speculative but when JJ got stopped the play before, I wasn’t confident on 4th.  However I wouldn’t have been against going for it.  Problem is, I don’t think we could have thrown for it and would have almost had to run a QB run play. 

Only my opinion which doesn’t count for anything I know  

9 minutes ago, homer said:

Agree. We were 3rd and 2 and I believe we got stuffed on that play.  Pinning them deep with a punt is a reasonable play there.  It didn’t work out so it turned out to be a bad idea.  Going for it was reasonable too but not a slam dunk. 

In hindsight it is clear but wasn’t 100% at the time. 

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

The punt there was unconscionable to me.  Bubba was signaling he had more confidence in the defense scoring than the offense getting 3 yards. 

Can you blame him?  That’s how we won the week before. 

Just now, homer said:

Go for it on 4th down with what I would call less than 50% chance of converting.  Get that same stop, same punt and same return and your now starting at the opposing 15 with previous time off the clock.  

Its all speculative but when JJ got stopped the play before, I wasn’t confident on 4th.  However I wouldn’t have been against going for it.  Problem is, I don’t think we could have thrown for it and would have almost had to run a QB run play. 

Only my opinion which doesn’t count for anything I know  

What is 10 divided by 4?  Same odds needed every play moving forward. 

Goodness.......

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

What is 10 divided by 4?  Same odds needed every play moving forward. 

Goodness.......

What’s 7 divided by 3 cause that’s what we gained the 3 plays prior. 

I understand math and the situation fine. 

24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

As a season ticket holder for 20+ years the not going for it on 4th and 2 sealed the deal for me on my decision not renew my tickets. These coaching decisions/changes aren't changing that. One more year as an independent and one year in the Valley then NDSU comes to the Alerus in 2021. If this program isn't still a total s** show after the 2020 season I'll revisit getting season tickets again......plus it's not like I can get ticket at walk up for any game.

We will miss you at the games...hopefully you still watch the games so we can hear all of your negative comments. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxfb said:

We will miss you at the games...hopefully you still watch the games so we can hear all of you negative comments. 

Appreciate it.

Will do.....and if I don't there are plenty to fill the void so you enjoy either way.