SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

Just now, tnt said:

Problem is that he didn't think it was a problem last year.  Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in his judgement, nor do some of the decisions he made in games that had nothing to do with Rudy. 

Has the offense ever been above average or even average under Rudy?  Even in 2016 defense set up a lot of scores and scored alot of points.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, lets eat said:

Bubba needed to go   He's a nice old man that the players don't respect as a coach.   Coaching personnel will change but he's still in charge..    Think about this for a minute,  if you had to go to battle with someone leading the charge, would you want him leading?  Just saying!!!

Guy apparently from Minot, who thought Bolinske and Heidelbaugh were good QBs, suddenly has no faith in Bubba after Rudy is fired?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So we can look forward to another season of not going for it on 4th down when that is the call to try to win a game.

Perhaps Bubba will have more confidence in a new OC dialing up a play.  Not sure of the exact number, but our 4th down conversion rate didn't seem very good this year.

25 minutes ago, homer said:

On the flip side you could argue no one cares more about the program than he does.  

If you had to go to battle with someone, would you not want someone that has unquestioned passion for what you are fighting for?

Give the guy a chance to fix his hiring error.  This is the life of the coaching world.  

Having someone with no stones that "cares" is not helpful - I'd rather have a guy who is less emotional but who plays to win and will do everything he can to put his team in that position.  

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Tangolou said:

The worst part about this team was that they got worse as the season went on and it also looked like they lost interest. I think there is a lot of changes that need to take place. On the coaching side I would start like this.

1. Strengh and conditioning

2. OC

3. Offensive line coach

There also needs to be changes inside the athletic department that would make these changes an up grade. Need to secure the funds to attract quality coaches. After this year's performance a whole sale change could be called for but I don't believe they will do that.

Wasn't there a song that went "2 out of 3 ain't bad"?

So do we go for an experience O.C. or take a risk with someone that seems "up & coming"? 

How about Noah Pauley from UM-D? Constantly ranking as one of the top offenses, same recruiting area, top D-2 program, comfortable with Football not being the primary sport but still successful. 

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

Having someone with no stones that "cares" is not helpful - I'd rather have a guy who is less emotional but who plays to win and will do everything he can to put his team in that position.  

I'll take a lot of heat for this but in the situation on Saturday with the way our offense was playing the argument could be made that in that situation Bubba made the right call.  Our defense did have a better chance of getting a stop vs. the offense getting two yards (on that day and the week prior).  Its easy for me to say sitting in my chair I would have gone for it. 

However I do feel Bubba plays it way to tight sometimes and hopefully some new blood at OC can get him loosen up a little bit.   Bubba will always hang his hat on his defense and hopefully that will change.  

I can think of a coach that was at a school 80 miles to the south of Grand Forks that punted on a 4th and short in a quarterfinal game in 2010 and ended up losing.  He will admit he learned from that play and got more aggressive in his philosophy every year after.  It was a learning experience for a guy that was a very good coach even though he played it safe all the time.  

2 minutes ago, northernraider said:

So do we go for an experience O.C. or take a risk with someone that seems "up & coming"? 

How about Noah Pauley from UM-D? Constantly ranking as one of the top offenses, same recruiting area, top D-2 program

I'd want to take a look at coaches from Duluth and Mankato, along with other FCS squads.

11 minutes ago, homer said:

I'll take a lot of heat for this but in the situation on Saturday with the way our offense was playing the argument could be made that in that situation Bubba made the right call.  Our defense did have a better chance of getting a stop vs. the offense getting two yards (on that day and the week prior).  Its easy for me to say sitting in my chair I would have gone for it.  

Agree 100%. Maybe it is a fine line, but "not having the stones" to go for it is not the same thing as not having faith in your offense to convert. If you've lost that much faith in your offense, the changes today are no surprise at all.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Irish said:

Changes needed to be made after last season.

7 minutes ago, homer said:

However I do feel Bubba plays it way to tight sometimes and hopefully some new blood at OC can get him loosen up a little bit.   Bubba will always hang his hat on his defense and hopefully that will change.  

I can think of a coach that was at a school 80 miles to the south of Grand Forks that punted on a 4th and short in a quarterfinal game in 2010 and ended up losing.  He will admit he learned from that play and got more aggressive in his philosophy every year after.  It was a learning experience for a guy that was a very good coach even though he played it safe all the time.  

No way.  Remember the scenario.  NAU takes over at UND 30 and UND defense forces a TO on the first frickin' play and returns it to the NAU 48.  3 plays for 7 yards.  We punt it back for a net gain of 21 yards.  The game was over at that point.  

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

No way.  Remember the scenario.  NAU takes over at UND 30 and UND defense forces a TO on the first frickin' play and returns it to the NAU 48.  3 plays for 7 yards.  We punt it back for a net gain of 21 yards.  The game was over at that point.  

This.....^^^

Some people here are as nutless as Bubba.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I'm not trying to kick a dead horse but I honestly think anyone will be better than what we had this season. 

I would certainly agree over the last half of the season.  If Rudy was trying to "throw" the games I am not sure he could have done a better job.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic