SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

So there are some that believe UND can afford to eat 3 years of the head football coach's salary? We are not Notre Dame. And do we really need to continue with all the "then you are settling for mediocrity, etc". UND has been slashing budgets in every EDUCATIONAL department at the U - which is their primary mission. Hopefully changes will be made - but you gotta believe they will be made within a constrained budget. 

• Upvote 1

The worst part about this team was that they got worse as the season went on and it also looked like they lost interest. I think there is a lot of changes that need to take place. On the coaching side I would start like this.

1. Strengh and conditioning

2. OC

3. Offensive line coach

There also needs to be changes inside the athletic department that would make these changes and up grade. Need to secure the funds to attract quality coaches. After this year's performance a whole sale change could be called for but I don't believe they will do that.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

So there are some that believe UND can afford to eat 3 years of the head football coach's salary? We are not Notre Dame. And do we really need to continue with all the "then you are settling for mediocrity, etc". UND has been slashing budgets in every EDUCATIONAL department at the U - which is their primary mission. Hopefully changes will be made - but you gotta believe they will be made within a constrained budget. 

Fundraising much easier for one over the other.  Ask yourself, what would Notre Dame be without it's football team?  Notre what?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Three years of salary? No, even P5 conference schools would think twice before doing that. But the closer we get to the end of Bubba's current deal, the cheaper it will get to buy him out. Which means he better sit down and think long and hard about whether it is worth it sticking with his assistants no matter what. Chaves didn't hire him (or anyone else at UND), so he is more likely to make changes down the line.

Does anyone know how much it cost to buy out Mussman? It couldn't have been cheap, but we came up with it.

Finally, why is UND flat broke all the time while NDSU is swimming in cash? That putrid situation needs to change or this will be just the start of a long period of mediocrity.

PS: I don't want to hear about how much corporate money is floating around Imperial Cass County; we have to focus on controlling what we can control.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Was it the oline or Kett and the play calling?   Yesterday Kett had 2 completions over 10 yards and one of those was long screen.  Stack the box, bring pressure and cover wanzek.   That’s it.  Kett doesn’t look at anyone else, even as a look off.

The OL play was abysmal both for the run and pass protection.  Kett couldn't get set up all day as he was always being chased.  Don’t  think Zimmerman or Bolt would have performed well.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

There also needs to be changes inside the athletic department that would make these changes and up grade. Need to secure the funds to attract quality coaches. After this year's performance a whole sale change could be called for but I don't believe they will do that.

Agree 1000% And that will involve "spending other people's money", so we all better get used to that idea because that is how 90% of this stuff is funded.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Three years of salary? No, even P5 conference schools would think twice before doing that. But the closer we get to the end of Bubba's current deal, the cheaper it will get to buy him out. Which means he better sit down and think long and hard about whether it is worth it sticking with his assistants no matter what. Chaves didn't hire him (or anyone else at UND), so he is more likely to make changes down the line.

Does anyone know how much it cost to buy out Mussman? It couldn't have been cheap, but we came up with it.

Finally, why is UND flat broke all the time while NDSU is swimming in cash? That putrid situation needs to change or this will be just the start of a long period of mediocrity.

Moving Bubba to a Foundation position could be a cheap way to go.  Bubba loves UND so that might be a good fit and his staff needs to be completely redone.   This isn’t a P5 staff where it would cost millions.  A new coach almost has to be in place prior to signing day.

• Like 3

I was out of town this weekend for a destination wedding but it looks like I didn't miss much.    I didn't see the game or listen to it but skimming the GDT it's just the same old sheet show.   I keep preaching Bubba can't recruit and the lack of QB must have been front and center for this game.    It beats me why he didn't go with Boltman after the Idaho disaster.   I doubt that anything will change by getting rid of Rudy and Kostich, it's still Bubba's philosophy.    For those saying we can't afford to let Bubba go, remember that we aren't on the hook for everything if Bubba gets another job and the bigger question, can we afford to keep him?   Cut our losses and start over.  Please!

• Upvote 1

Regarding Schweigerts "philosophy", he needs to have the ability to adapt to the players on the team.  I suppose maybe that is what he has done during his time here, given the riches we've had at RB the last 4 years.  

But I remember when he was at Duluth, they had a scary wide open offense.  Their QB, Schlafke, was outstanding, but they didn't force HB dives all day long.

I wish the NCC stats were still available somewhere, because I bet UMD was near the top of the league during those years.

There have been many posts that have said "Rudolph runs the offense that Bubba wants him to run".  I can't imagine the offense we saw the last two weeks is the one Bubba wants.  He needs to recognize that issue and eliminate it.  If he isn't willing to do that, he needs to be gone.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Regarding Schweigerts "philosophy", he needs to have the ability to adapt to the players on the team.  I suppose maybe that is what he has done during his time here, given the riches we've had at RB the last 4 years.  

But I remember when he was at Duluth, they had a scary wide open offense.  Their QB, Schlafke, was outstanding, but they didn't force HB dives all day long.

I wish the NCC stats were still available somewhere, because I bet UMD was near the top of the league during those years.

There have been many posts that have said "Rudolph runs the offense that Bubba wants him to run".  I can't imagine the offense we saw the last two weeks is the one Bubba wants.  He needs to recognize that issue and eliminate it.  If he isn't willing to do that, he needs to be gone.   

It may be the way Bubba wants to run the offense but its Rudy's Plays/Schemes/Formations. Rudy wasn't qualified for the Job and has shown us that. If he and a few others arnt gone then Bubba has to go.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

The 2005 Bulldogs with Schlafke set most of the passing records for Duluth.  310-498 - 3369 yards.  Believe he had Danny Ragsdale as his OC then, who used his indoor football experience to run the offense.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I still support Bubba as HC.  I think we need to make some changes but he wouldn't be one of them.

I had the same feeling last year until he said he wasn't making any changes to his staff. Will you still support him if he doesn't make any changes??

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Taking everything else out of the equation Bubba's inability to coach to actually WIN games this year was glaring.......and disturbing.

Completely agree with this.  3 games to go and we needed to win 2 vs Idaho, Portland State and Northern Arizona.  Did not play well in any of the 3 games and went 1-2.  Unacceptable.

21 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I still support Bubba as HC.  I think we need to make some changes but he wouldn't be one of them.

I'm not sure what you see in Bubba that no one else does - He's the one who made the decision to stand pat last year. He couldn't even take care of the blocked punt situation.  And unless you are in some alternate dimension, you sure as heck didn't see him out-coach anyone in a game situation this year.  

• Upvote 3

If you really look at it, it all starts on the offensive side of the ball. We are trying to be a running force with below average OL and below average TE play. For what we want to do offensively, we simply don't have the dudes. For what we have been recruiting, I just don't get the offensive philosophy. Also, I have never been impressed with Knauf, but hey that is just me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

If you really look at it, it all starts on the offensive side of the ball. We are trying to be a running force with below average OL and below average TE play. For what we want to do offensively, we simply don't have the dudes. For what we have been recruiting, I just don't get the offensive philosophy. Also, I have never been impressed with Knauf, but hey that is just me.

I don't care who your "dudes" are at TE and OL, if the QB play is going to be like it was this season as well as the play-calling the result will be the same.  As for TE's the way they are used, we would be far better off playing with 6 OL on the field.

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I don't care who your "dudes" are at TE and OL, if the QB play is going to be like it was this season as well as the play-calling the result will be the same.  As for TE's the way they are used, we would be far better off playing with 6 OL on the field.

I completely agree. Look at any team that is successful on offense and it starts up front. Do we have one guy who would start at NDSU, SDSU, or any other midwest FCS school on the line?

6 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I completely agree. Look at any team that is successful on offense and it starts up front. Do we have one guy who would start at NDSU, SDSU, or any other midwest FCS school on the line?

How do you think NDSU offense would have performed this season if Rudy had been the OC/QB coach the last 5 seasons?  Personally, I think NDSU would have been a "bubble" playoff team much like UND.  Within reason, its not the players, its the coaching.  Cloyd is one of a handful of guys in UND's program that would be All-americans if used correctly at UND or were playing for other schools and that includes FBS.  There are others.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

You constantly hear people commenting about how Siouxsports users overreact about coaching and about UND teams. But I couldn't disagree more 

Grand Forks and UND hold their teams to high standards because it's a winning community. This is great tradition to have and be involved in. If people weren't pissed, then that's when you should start worrying. We care and have high expectations and that's a good thing in my opinion. 

UND ended the season 6-5 which on paper doesn't look glaringly bad, but it absolutely does not tell the story of the season. This season very clearly exposed the worse than poor coaching UND has and something needs to change immediately. 

The same team at the beginning of the year that was giving a very good FBS team Washington a run for their money into the 4th quarter, was unable to run or throw the ball against a very very poor NAU team that had already curled up and died for the year. The HUGE regression this team took week after week after week is 100% on the coaching staff and is absolutely inexcusable at this level. To cut them slack I would love to say that a lot of the other Big Sky teams got better as the year went on and UND just stayed flat, so Bubba needs to clean things up...but that is absolutely NOT true. NAU was a poor team to begin with and they were at the lowest point of their season and they STILL piss pounded UND. That just shows how badly UND back-peddled. I have never seen anything like it. I legitimately think that whatever coaching style they're using somehow actually made every player worse, especially on offense. Everyone seemed so scared to do anything out of the ordinary. The offense looked slow, predictable, scared, tentative and indecisive. Thinking about the QB and OL showing on Saturday just makes me sick and I don't even want to get started on that. Having that many weapons on offense and having that poor of a showing is unreal. It seems like there is a giant bottle neck at Rudy and Bubba that all this talent is rotting away. I feel bad for the SRs that had to play for this team as they were all made into slightly worse players over their years at UND. I feel even worse for the players still stuck there now. I wouldn't blame them for leaving to another school where they want to develop forward and not be sucked backward. It's 2018 and UND needs some new younger energy that's up with the latest and greatest training strategies and play calling philosophies. 

I will have very minimal support for this team if no changes are made this off-season. These coaches are pathetic 

100% agree.  The job of a coach is to make the team play better than the sum of the parts.  At UND right now I would be pleased of we could just consistently play as well as the sum of the parts.  The last 3 games UND played at about 50% the sum of the parts.