SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

On 11/3/2018 at 10:01 PM, Hawkster said:

More transfers aren't the answer, they're just washouts from other programs.  Look at Kett,  he didn't become our miracle cure.     The answer obviously is recruting better players and retaining them.   Hopefully Boltman is ready at QB next year.

You really think Boltman will leap frog Kett and Zim? I think Kett has the potential but got turned into a robot by the coaches. He got worse as the season went on. I still remember seeing him those first 3 games taking risks, making athletic moves and making plays. Now the last few he doesn't really do much of anything. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

You really think Boltman will leap frog Kett and Zim? I think Kett has the potential but got turned into a robot by the coaches. He got worse as the season went on. I still remember seeing him those first 3 games taking risks, making athletic moves and making plays. Now the last few he doesn't really do much of anything. 

A very accurate description.  Although people rightly point to special teams and play calling as glaring and reoccurent weaknesses, in my opinion the total lack of quarterback development is right up there too.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jdub27 said:

UND is obviously only capable at hiring from within the family instead of the best candidate. No other way to explain Mike Mannausa as the new athletic director.

Mike is a fund raiser and works with the Athletic Department and the Alumni Assn.  From everything I have seen and heard he is doing a very good job.  He has some great connections and is well liked. I hope that explains things.  The people in these positions have a very difficult job and the connections are an important factor. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Mike is a fund raiser and works with the Athletic Department and the Alumni Assn.  From everything I have seen and heard he is doing a very good job.  He has some great connections and is well liked. I hope that explains things.  The people in these positions have a very difficult job and the connections are an important factor. 

Agree 1000%. My post was made in jest. After sitting through the AD interviews, Mike was likely a close second, just didn't have quite the experience he needed. He's working very closely with Chaves on HPC Pt. II which is Priority 1 and I think Mike will be a huge asset on that front.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

That's a really poor equivalence.  Lot's of kids (players) liked Dale Lennon,  Roger Thomas, Nick Saben..... if we're just making lists of people.  They were/are all successful.

Kostich is personable and well liked by the very kids we are trying to convince to come to UND.

My goofy analogy was only meant to point out that sometimes kids might like something that turns out to not be in their best interest.  The close games UND has lost in recent years that involved huge special teams gaffes is too much to ignore and continue giving him a free pass.  

• Upvote 2

This is a great article on building a program.  Sone examples are how Syracuse rebuilt its entire program in three years and is now ranked.  Stanford used to be crap but Harbaugh built it from scraps.  Boise St is almost a template.

https://medium.com/therecord/syracuse-football-the-art-of-building-a-program-4b5120588046

Kostich and Rudy aren’t gone soon, Bubba needs to go first.

UCDavis, Montana, Mont St, and even Idaho St have really changed up their programs with new coaches, as think their admin saw the old coaches as just status quo, which isn’t good enough. Weber St and EWU seem to have it right, currently.

• Like 2

Hypothetical question... If UND looked 70 miles south at a coordinator (for UND HC), is that stupid 30 day, or whatever it was when Schweigert was finally hired, window waived? Can an employee at another ND institution be brought in without a long waiting period?

29 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Hypothetical question... If UND looked 70 miles south at a coordinator (for UND HC), is that stupid 30 day, or whatever it was when Schweigert was finally hired, window waived? Can an employee at another ND institution be brought in without a long waiting period?

I do NOT believe it's waived and it would be a HUGE reason why a coach from that school may be reluctant to apply.

4 minutes ago, shep said:

I do NOT believe it's waived and it would be a HUGE reason why a coach from that school may be reluctant to apply.

If Bubba was let go, the early signing date will turn out to be a bad thing for us this year.....we won't have a coach the weeks leading up to it.  

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

If Bubba was let go, the early signing date will turn out to be a bad thing for us this year.....we won't have a coach the weeks leading up to it.  

Bubba will not be let go. I’m not certain there will even be an ultimatum forthcoming for a couple members of the staff. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, zonadub said:

The major issue for potential applicants/candidates was open records which allowed the media to access communications and openly write about those who had applied. This is no longer an issue, fortunately. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Bubba will not be let go. I’m not certain there will even be an ultimatum forthcoming for a couple members of the staff. 

I agree, I don't think he will be let go either.....just made me think about the down side of the early signing day.    I'd really like to make the playoffs, but if we make the playoffs I would say there won't be any type of ultimatum about the staff and Rudy will stay, and Bubba will still even have a hard time replacing Kostich……. even though it's obvious it needs to happen.  

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The major issue for potential applicants/candidates was open records which allowed the media to access communications and openly write about those who had applied. This is no longer an issue, fortunately. 

When did this change?

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

7 minutes ago, shep said:

When did this change?

I believe the open records only closed for presidential applicants. Still open for coaches and everyone else. 

22 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, I don't think he will be let go either.....just made me think about the down side of the early signing day.    I'd really like to make the playoffs, but if we make the playoffs I would say there won't be any type of ultimatum about the staff and Rudy will stay, and Bubba will still even have a hard time replacing Kostich……. even though it's obvious it needs to happen.  

That is honestly my biggest fear. We are going to get into the playoffs and nothing will change. They will just look at the playoff berth, the record, and the stats that fit their agenda and call it a huge success and big improvement from last year. When the real eye test is what we all see and know and I’m not gonna waste my breath on the headsets anymore. Usually the people say when a team has a bad record that they are a better team than their record shows.....I think it could be the opposite for us. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, LeaveNoDoubt said:

That is honestly my biggest fear. We are going to get into the playoffs and nothing will change. They will just look at the playoff berth, the record, and the stats that fit their agenda and call it a huge success and big improvement from last year. When the real eye test is what we all see and know and I’m not gonna waste my breath on the headsets anymore. Usually the people say when a team has a bad record that they are a better team than their record shows.....I think it could be the opposite for us. 

It's possible.....except for the rare game where Rudy dials up a good game plan, which is few and far between and he can really only do that when we are getting 6-7 yards at a crack when running the ball.  Usually you like to look at how your team has improved as the year has gone on.  I feel like we are playing this season in reverse so far.   I will be hoping for an offensive miracle on Saturday, and another one should we be fortunate enough to make the playoffs.  

I kind of wish we knew if we were going to make the playoffs with a win.  If we win and don't get in anyway, I'd probably prefer another inept performance by the offense on Saturday just to force the issue with the offensive coordinator.  

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

This is a great article on building a program.  Sone examples are how Syracuse rebuilt its entire program in three years and is now ranked.  Stanford used to be crap but Harbaugh built it from scraps.  Boise St is almost a template.

https://medium.com/therecord/syracuse-football-the-art-of-building-a-program-4b5120588046

Kostich and Rudy aren’t gone soon, Bubba needs to go first.

UCDavis, Montana, Mont St, and even Idaho St have really changed up their programs with new coaches, as think their admin saw the old coaches as just status quo, which isn’t good enough. Weber St and EWU seem to have it right, currently.

“ ... if you satisfy coaching and culture requirements, the wins will come and with the help of a committed athletic department, the wins and a few shiny facilities will aid in your recruiting, preserving your success.” 

This is a tremendous quote. Everyone read this and let it sink in. As for UND football, there are a few critical areas of this ongoing - coaching issues, culture (too “nice guy”) to finish games, and HPC phase II. 

Books by Jon Gordon... there are several... deal with attitude and responding to challenges beyond your control. Many athletic teams ( and businesses) use these. Again the culture or attitude is so important and I felt the incoming class can help with that. Hope something can be done about these coaching issues.... that are reallybover my head.

Bubba and company have shown us their coaching chops time and time again.  Bubba will always be the guy who is too stubborn to make changes, whose team gets out-adjusted every half-time, who thinks Kostich and Rudolph are doing a good job, and who won't go for it on 4th and less than 1/2 on the opponents 45 yard line.  He has shown us he will not change.  Is this the guy we want leading us into the future?  Be prepared for years of frustrating football - some good seasons mixed in, but always collapsing in big games.  I'm not sure why so many think he's the guy.

• Upvote 4

On 11/7/2018 at 8:35 AM, Irish said:

A very accurate description.  Although people rightly point to special teams and play calling as glaring and reoccurent weaknesses, in my opinion the total lack of quarterback development is right up there too.

This.  Studsrud was way worse his senior year after they made him stop running.  And these are the same coaches that thought a current wide receiver was better than Zimmerman.  Feel bad for that guy.