SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Claiming that the interview was a tie and Bubba got the job strictly because he has local ties based on absolutely nothing isn't critical thinking. Claiming the other candidate would have had more success also isn't critical thinking, it's pure conjecture.

Bubba was here when UND was successful. Anyone who's talked to him knows the passion he has for UND and how much he wants the University to be successful. It doesn't take "critical thinking" to understand how those things are going to come through in an interview. 

Rather than critical thinking, perhaps we should be speaking about comprehensive reading for you.

I didn’t say Bubba definitively got the job due to his connections to UND, but rather that it was suspicious and thus a possibility considering past hiring practices at UND. Furthermore, you haven’t ruled that out. Also, I never questioned Bubba’s passion. Rather, you claiming his passion is great is actually an implied argument for that being the de facto tie breaker. We have differing opinions, but you certainly aren’t adding any facts to this whole tie-breaker discussion and are actually expanding it.

You're apparently one of those folks that I predicted would be offended by claiming the hiring process relied too much on local ties. You also have an affinity for unnecessary argument.

Have a good day. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Preferable to throwing nonsense out there just to stir the pot.

If you don't think Bubba held the upper hand with him being from ND, being on staff at UND prior to the interview and stating the HC position at UND was his dream job..........your logic is nonsensical. Not saying that broke the "tie" but let's not turn a blind eye to the fact that all that carried weight. 'Cause it did.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

A lot of kids liked Michael Jackson, too..... doesn’t always correlate into a great idea. 

That's a really poor equivalence.  Lot's of kids (players) liked Dale Lennon,  Roger Thomas, Nick Saben..... if we're just making lists of people.  They were/are all successful.

Kostich is personable and well liked by the very kids we are trying to convince to come to UND.

On November 5, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Dustin said:

Who's emailing the AD?  Just curious.  I was considering doing it.  What would be the best thing(s) to say?

If you don't, know don't email.  Speak from your heart and tell him what you think. Doesn't matter what any of the rest of us think.  Your opinion is as valid as any of the rest of us.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

This is the GOBC we are talking about here Ira, this isn’t Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny!  

You do realize the GOBC is some guys who are self proclaimed insiders.  I don't believe in the tooth fairy but I used to get money if I lost a tooth and put it under my pillow.  Santa and Bunny are real and have more influence than the GOBC here and everywhere. The GOBC folks will be able to chat with decision makers if they donate a few thousand each year but then the decision makers move on, laugh about some of the stupid things they just heard and move on.  If you want the bartender to change the big screen to your game talk to the GOBC.  If you want to influence UND and the athletic department you need at least 8 figures and then you better now what you are talking about.  Sanford offered an initial $10 million with a promise for more for the exclusive Sports Med rights and UND passed.  Keep that in mind before you believe a few thousand a year gets you a "seat in the board room".  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

If you don't think Bubba held the upper hand with him being from ND, being on staff at UND prior to the interview and stating the HC position at UND was his dream job..........your logic is nonsensical. Not saying that broke the "tie" but let's not turn a blind eye to the fact that all that carried weight. 'Cause it did.

Of course that was considered. It should have been considered.   It should not have been the deciding factor. 

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

You do realize the GOBC is some guys who are self proclaimed insiders.  I don't believe in the tooth fairy but I used to get money if I lost a tooth and put it under my pillow.  Santa and Bunny are real and have more influence than the GOBC here and everywhere. The GOBC folks will be able to chat with decision makers if they donate a few thousand each year but then the decision makers move on, laugh about some of the stupid things they just heard and move on.  If you want the bartender to change the big screen to your game talk to the GOBC.  If you want to influence UND and the athletic department you need at least 8 figures and then you better now what you are talking about.  Sanford offered an initial $10 million with a promise for more for the exclusive Sports Med rights and UND passed.  Keep that in mind before you believe a few thousand a year gets you a "seat in the board room".  

My mother always said, “Money talks.”

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with what you're saying; however, let us now consider how connections to UND have clouded the judgement of many past hiring processes. 

Just because Bubba - or anyone for that matter - has past ties to UND, that should not mean qualified candidates for coaching should be denied. Now, the Bubba versus Kalen DoBoer ship has certainly sailed; however, in regards to coordinators, if there are any candidates out there who are qualified and capable but have no previous ties to UND, they should still be contacted, interviewed, and strongly considered. UND football needs to expand its sights if it wants to improve. In my estimation, the level of commitment to those with past ties has historically been excessive. 

You can certainly disagree, as I feel many with ties themselves will, but I just feel this needs to be an emphasized point as new coaches are potentially considered moving forward. 

I don't disagree with you. I don't care where the coach comes from. Familiarity with the region, community, program, personnel etc is a factor that should be considered.  It should not be the most important factor, nor the deciding factor.  As you say, that ship has sailed. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

"some guys"????

It's a guy on a forum pretending to have influence.

In the good ol' days a GOBC may have existed, but you hit the nail on the head here, money talks. However, I'd be careful to think that money influences who is hired as a HC. I do believe they want someone who will bring money to the U.

57 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

They don’t get things done via the boardroom. If you’ve seen “Road House”, it’s more of a band of Brad Wesley type characters that run roughshod over the town to get the outcomes they want.  They had Faison in their pocket.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Rather than critical thinking, perhaps we should be speaking about comprehensive reading for you.

I didn’t say Bubba definitively got the job due to his connections to UND, but rather that it was suspicious and thus a possibility considering past hiring practices at UND. Furthermore, you haven’t ruled that out. Also, I never questioned Bubba’s passion. Rather, you claiming his passion is great is actually an implied argument for that being the de facto tie breaker. We have differing opinions, but you certainly aren’t adding any facts to this whole tie-breaker discussion and are actually expanding it.

You're apparently one of those folks that I predicted would be offended by claiming the hiring process relied too much on local ties. You also have an affinity for unnecessary argument.

Have a good day. 

I mean, you literally said it was a tie and his connections were simply the only tie-breaker. That's the issue I had with your statement, inferring that he didn't actually win the job, he just got it by default, which isn't accurate.

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It is quite suspicious that the tie breaker was simply the UND/more local connections. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Wow. Nonsense? Really?

As far as stirring the pot goes, you need to look in the mirror.

That was directed at a specific poster, not you.

53 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

UND is obviously only capable at hiring from within the family instead of the best candidate. No other way to explain Mike Mannausa as the new athletic director.

By the same token, lots of schools bring back former players to be in that department. Lots bring back former grads, coaches who have a familiarity with the school. Corporations do it too. Is that a bad thing really?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, shep said:

By the same token, lots of schools bring back former players to be in that department. Lots bring back former grads, coaches who have a familiarity with the school. Corporations do it too. Is that a bad thing really?

He was being sarcastic. Mannausau lost the AD race. 

As for your general point, I agree. The foundation should hire people who truly care about and have a connection to UND. 

11 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

He was being sarcastic. Mannausau lost the AD race. 

As for your general point, I agree. The foundation should hire people who truly care about and have a connection to UND. 

As Ira mentioned, familiarity and ties should be a factor, just not the most important factor nor the deciding factor.

I’m not sure anyone can prove that such ties have not been used as the deciding factor in the past at UND, however. My initial post simply warned of this and asked for an emphasis on a fair evaluation process. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As Ira mentioned, familiarity and ties should be a factor, just not the most important factor nor the deciding factor.

I’m not sure anyone can prove that such ties have not been used as the deciding factor in the past at UND, however. My initial post simply warned of this and asked for an emphasis on a fair evaluation process. 

I appreciate your sentiment here. 

I replied only due to the use of the word "fair" as that is now the code word that gets my attention in this and any discussion. What's fair to one is not to another and fair is only fair if the individual thinks it is. It's subjective in a way that defies meaning.

4 minutes ago, shep said:

I appreciate your sentiment here. 

I replied only due to the use of the word "fair" as that is now the code word that gets my attention in this and any discussion. What's fair to one is not to another and fair is only fair if the individual thinks it is. It's subjective in a way that defies meaning.

Understood.

In general, in the context of this discussion, less weight towards UND connections and local ties and more weight towards previous success. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Understood.

In general, in the context of this discussion, less weight towards UND connections and local ties and more weight towards previous success. 

Again...makes sense so long as we don't ignore a candidate's UND connections.