SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

22 hours ago, shep said:

Me too, as I have NEVER encountered a worse run bar than the Tavern at the Alerus. ONE bartender and maybe 2 barmaids for a bar full of thirsty pre-game fans. It's nuts.

It's nuts even when the place isn't busy.  Most consistently slow service of any place I've ever been to.

57 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Isn't FB.......FB? It's the same Xs and Os. As a coach you can either figure it out or you can't.

This is my thought as well, what are the big fears about the transition from DIII to D1? I'm honestly interested, to me if someone can coach, they can coach. 

My $.02, I'm with the majority that there needs to be changes at a minimum at Offensive & ST coordinators. My problem with this is Bubba is the man in charge and these changes should have happened years ago. If Bubba didn't see this or is too loyal, then he ultimately is to blame. 

Bubba and this coaching staff has made this program relevant and I believe this team is close to breaking through. They have talent and if you simply break down this year alone, they have 4 blow out wins against FCS programs and 4 close games (3 losses with a combined 11 points). This also isn't a Senior heavy team, there's tons of talent remaining on the roster. My question would be, is changes Offensive & ST coordinators enough to really put this team over the hump? I don't think it is.

The great news is Chaves is an excellent AD, I have all the faith that he will make the right decisions to move this program forward.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, AJS said:

My $.02, I'm with the majority that there needs to be changes at a minimum at Offensive & ST coordinators. My problem with this is Bubba is the man in charge and these changes should have happened years ago. If Bubba didn't see this or is too loyal, then he ultimately is to blame. 

Bubba and this coaching staff has made this program relevant and I believe this team is close to breaking through. They have talent and if you simply break down this year alone, they have 4 blow out wins against FCS programs and 4 close games (3 losses with a combined 11 points). This also isn't a Senior heavy team, there's tons of talent remaining on the roster. My question would be, is changes Offensive & ST coordinators enough to really put this team over the hump? I don't think it is.

The great news is Chaves is an excellent AD, I have all the faith that he will make the right decisions to move this program forward.

If our ST performed a bit above average, I believe our only loss would have been the Huskies.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Isn't FB.......FB? It's the same Xs and Os. As a coach you can either figure it out or you can't.

PJ Fleck and Craig Bohl don't seem destined for success.  The coach at UC Davis didn't cut it in FBS, but is successful at FCS.  Higher level of play means what it takes to be successful requires greater skill as a coach.  

I would like to see a serious effort at getting Jake Landry to look at the OC position.  He has a pretty good resume.  And of course get someone else to coach ST

40 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

PJ Fleck and Craig Bohl don't seem destined for success.  The coach at UC Davis didn't cut it in FBS, but is successful at FCS.  Higher level of play means what it takes to be successful requires greater skill as a coach.  

I would like to see a serious effort at getting Jake Landry to look at the OC position.  He has a pretty good resume.  And of course get someone else to coach ST

I would say both have been very successful. Are they Saban? No.......but both have faired well and have had success.

43 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

He was fired from Mary last year and is looking for a job isn’t he? Was a solid ST coach for UND

in all seriousness....if kotnelnicki wanted too he cold accept the job as st coach tomorrow and be coach the same day? or is there too much red tape to make this happen so quick...he was a great st coach under muss.

What bothers me the most about the whole Rudy debacle  (among such things as philosophy, in-game adjustments, and a general failure to adapt to personnel) is that the passing game is simply not there outside of a few outlier games. Using a run-heavy offense, particularly when you have stud running backs like UND has, should open up all sorts of opportunities for the passing game. 1 on 1 receiver match-ups, play-action to the TE or in general, bootleg action, etc. There is so much that can be done with a passing game with a run-first philosophy. The problem is that we don't use speed down the field except maybe once or twice a game, we don't look for the tight ends (and we've had some athletes there), we don't really do any swing passes. 

On top of all that, we never seem to develop a quarterback. Studsrud was a game manager who could run but we didn't run him because we had no backups for awhile. Ketteringham has the better arm but locks on to one receiver at a time, makes it easy for the defense. That is on the QB coach, who also happens to be Rudy. He is not good as a QB coach and if Bubba for whatever gods awful reason decides to stick with him, he should at least be removed as a QB coach. His evaluation, his development with young QB's is non-existent (Brad Heidlebaugh as #2 QB everyone). 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Cratter said:

They are celebrating a good season.

Couldn't be further fun the truth. This is the kind of stuff that's just flat out BS. The players and staff care more than any fan on a message board with all the time and effort they put into entertaining us. Go ahead and ask any of the coaches how they feel about the season next time you see them. I can promise you that you aren't going to an answer anywhere near that. 

Bubba has shown us over and over again what kind of game coach and half time stratagist he is.  He has also shown us what kind of schemes and assistants he wants.  He has also shown us loud and clear how willing he is to make changes.  I'm not sure why many don't see him as the main problem.  Even with a few new assistants he will always be the guy without the stones to go for it on 4th and less than 1 on the opponents 45 yard line in a must win game.  We need higher standards.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Oh I agree!!  I'm just speculating as to what I think Bubba might do.  I could see him keeping Rudy.   Both Rudy and Kostich need to be replaced at  minimum in my opinion. 

I wouldn't get rid of Kostich.  Maybe he needs a different role but I would keep him on the staff.

My view from afar - I believe the kids like him and he is a good recruiter.

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:39 PM, Cratter said:

Bubba will be disappointed not making the playoffs, but I can see him seeing this year as a success as they improved from last year and has to overcome some key injuries once again.

No he won't.