SiouxSports.com Forum

Nothing on the Horizon

The Sicatoka

Corella,

Not sure about RPI either but i thought that after next year we (the SU's) would count towards RPI's of opponents but not necessarily establish an RPI of our own. That is maybe why there is a NA in the columns of the provisional schools.

Again, I'm not Dick Vitale or Andy Katz on this subject, so any news could help me as well.

:)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know all of you love it, but can you really tell me that you wouldn't give up one of your NC's in hockey to see UND in the big dance? UND being in the big dance would give the school more publicity than all of the hockey national championships combined. Just think about it before you blast me.

That statement obviously comes from someone who is a basketball fan and not a hockey fan. Also comes from a fan of a team who doesn't have any D 1 Championships at their school.

Is basketball more popular? No question about it, you win there, but I wouldn't give up one of our national championships to take part in the "Big Dance". So NDSU gets to the big dance, once over the next 30 years, congrats.

Each thing is what it is and I, for one, would not trade a hockey NC, DII football NC, women's DII NC or air team NC for a shot at anything - to do so would dishonor those whose performance made the championship possible. The time may well come that a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the "Big Dance" will be in our hopes and dreams but such an appearance should NEVER diminish what has happened in the past.

Corella,

Not sure about RPI either but i thought that after next year we (the SU's) would count towards RPI's of opponents but not necessarily establish an RPI of our own. That is maybe why there is a NA in the columns of the provisional schools.

Again, I'm not Dick Vitale or Andy Katz on this subject, so any news could help me as well.

:)

This is from collegerpi.com...

Why don't Longwood, North Dakota St, Northern Colorado, UC Davis and Utah Valley St count as Division I teams?

These schools are in the process of moving up to full Division I status, but are not quite there yet. It used to be that teams would not be considered D-I for the purposes of the RPI until they became full-fledged members of Division I, but now they will count in the RPI if they play a full Division I schedule. That is defined as one with no more than four games against teams outside of Division I. None of these teams are close to playing a full D-I schedule.

not sure if that answers anything, but.

Corella, you are definitely the guru when it comes to college basketball. You need to post on Bisonville more often. It appears that a conference would not really be penalized for taking the SU's when it comes to RPI. Let's say the mid-con takes us and expands to 12 teams with a two divisions. That would be 16 DI games. I don't think it would be that hard to find 5 or 6 nonconference games to fill out the schedule, so IMO it is not really a risk for a conference to take a provisional team.

Corella, you are definitely the guru when it comes to college basketball. You need to post on Bisonville more often. It appears that a conference would not really be penalized for taking the SU's when it comes to RPI. Let's say the mid-con takes us and expands to 12 teams with a two divisions. That would be 16 DI games. I don't think it would be that hard to find 5 or 6 nonconference games to fill out the schedule, so IMO it is not really a risk for a conference to take a provisional team.

I guess we are going to have to disagree, because I see it as a potential major problem for an established conference to take a provisional team. Sure, being in a conference takes care of a bit over half of the schedule, but the hard part would be to secure the rest of the 8 or so mandatory D1 games. If Coach, Miles, Nagy, or hopefully Coach Glas in the not too distant futurre calls me, a D1 coach, and wants to hook up on a game, and they have a conference schedule and not much else, there is no chance in Hell I am even thinking about it. Those teams that may be scheduled are putting themselves at major risk, and I am typing this in the most unbiased thoughts, because if the SU's don't get their "full D1 schedule", the teams that have scheduled them are completely screwed. Their schedule suddenly drops from 28 to 27 regular season games in the NCAA and RPI's, and that is something that could easily put a bubble team out of the Big Dance, drop an established seed a few spots in tourney rankings. Also, as it has been suggested that the Mid-Con add up to 3 teams, and those 3 could be UNC, NDSU, and SDSU, and all three don't get "full D1 schedules" for a year or 2, that would burn every team in that conference. Even having 2 of those 3 teams not meet the requirement would be chaotic. Think about every team in the conference losing 4, 5, or 6 games in the RPI and NCAA's eyes. It would completely cripple them.

Just looking at it from other teams in Mid-Cons perspective, especially on this RPI issue in basketball, the conferences' baby, there are obviously some major concerns out there that are not as clear and evident as common public perception suggests. I am a big believer in the RPI, as are many people in D1 college basketball, and the power that it holds and how it rates teams. From a basketball perspective, I believe it is a huge hurdle for the SU's and hopefully UND in not too long to jump through in their provisional years

Sure, being in a conference takes care of a bit over half of the schedule, but the hard part would be to secure the rest of the 8 or so mandatory D1 games

From the grand forks paper:

"The lack of home games won't be as big of a problem in two seasons. Manhattan, Butler, Denver, Missouri-Kansas City, Tennessee State, Southeast Missouri State and Wisconsin-Milwaukee will play SDSU in Brookings in the 2005-06 season."

Thats 7 home games, I'd be willing to be that SDSU could find an additional 4 or 5 away D-I games over the next two years to give it an RPI rating. This may already be what Nagy is planning.

If Coach, Miles, Nagy, or hopefully Coach Glas in the not too distant futurre calls me, a D1 coach, and wants to hook up on a game, and they have a conference schedule and not much else, there is no chance in Hell I am even thinking about it.

Luckily real coaches are thinking about it and scheduling games. If coaches are scheduling the Jacks in the first year of transition, when we don't belong to a conference, they will definately schedule us in the future.

Here's the Jacks DI opponets so far next year:

Men's BB

Nov. 19, at Butler

Nov. 27, at Manhattan

Dec. 1, at Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Dec. 4, at SE Missouri St.

Dec. 11, at Denver

Dec, 22, at Tennessee State

Jan. 3, at San Diego St.

Jan. 17, at UMKC

Jan. 29, at Arkansas St.

That's nine games, plus I think there's a tournament.