SiouxSports.com Forum

Idaho

Dustin

6 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

ya...and its a real bitching point with our fan base.(among other things..we are down an AD and have a lame duck president)...I'm not a fan of the kid (crocthfruit) as a QB..no size (5'8") no arm...he really shortens the field...if we were playing sideline to sideline, he'd be ok..we also platoon the QB position with another guy with a cannon (the sumo), but he seems to have the dropskis, and is an injury magnet...but at least a stiff breeze won't knock him over.. we have had 2 qb's transfer out when they saw the writing on the wall that the coach's kid was moving to QB...Luton to Oregon State and Amos to Idaho State..we recruited two others this year, but neither have seen the field even with the redshirt rules changing..I did see on twitter that one of them was running with the 1's today...so I'm not sure what we will see..at this point, to me, the season is done...we get together for a tailgate, a halftime show (we have a kick azz marching band) and a postgame, interrupted by a football exhibition..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, letsfish said:

ya...and its a real bitching point with our fan base.(among other things..we are down an AD and have a lame duck president)...I'm not a fan of the kid (crocthfruit) as a QB..no size (5'8") no arm...he really shortens the field...if we were playing sideline to sideline, he'd be ok..we also platoon the QB position with another guy with a cannon (the sumo), but he seems to have the dropskis, and is an injury magnet...but at least a stiff breeze won't knock him over.. we have had 2 qb's transfer out when they saw the writing on the wall that the coach's kid was moving to QB...Luton to Oregon State and Amos to Idaho State..we recruited two others this year, but neither have seen the field even with the redshirt rules changing..I did see on twitter that one of them was running with the 1's today...so I'm not sure what we will see..at this point, to me, the season is done...we get together for a tailgate, a halftime show (we have a kick azz marching band) and a postgame, interrupted by a football exhibition..

We feel your pain on knowing the season is over early on.  Our season was basically over by the end of September last year with all of the injuries we had.  We got hit really hard in a few spots and had 3rd stringers playing, and also playing some true freshman that weren't ready or scheduled to play last year. 

8 hours ago, letsfish said:

That was kind of my point, pretty rare at FCS level for a head coach to have his son be QB.  I would say the chances of that working out well are between slim and none unless the kid was a real stud.

Hoping that through film study this week Kett gets out of the bad habit of locking on to Wanzek exclusively. We left some huge plays on the table in multiple games because he sometimes forces it to Wanzek. The time Cloyd was WIDE open down our sideline against Weber comes to mind. I’d like to see him spread the ball around the whole game. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Hoping that through film study this week Kett gets out of the bad habit of locking on to Wanzek exclusively. We left some huge plays on the table in multiple games because he sometimes forces it to Wanzek. The time Cloyd was WIDE open down our sideline against Weber comes to mind. I’d like to see him spread the ball around the whole game. 

Kinda like Keaton did...

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Except with more risk taking

Keaton’s passing game was way below average. Many under-throws and skips. Tough kid, great leader, and could run the ball, though.

Big picture - I’m afraid it’s not good to have a quarterback who can’t really throw with the best of ‘em. I’m glad we have true arm talent under center now.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our QBs are forbidden from even thinking about TEs, much less looking in their direction, unless specifically told to do so. Or so it seems.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Our QBs are forbidden from even thinking about TEs, much less looking in their direction, unless specifically told to do so. Or so it seems.

It's so wierd, the TE's had 4 receptions in the first half of the first game......have pretty much disappeared since then.  

25 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

It's so wierd, the TE's had 4 receptions in the first half of the first game......have pretty much disappeared since then.  

Ya, Luke had the 4 catches and was thinking the QB might start looking their way this year.  He had a couple catches the next 2 games and then it dried up. Cloyd got a couple following those games till the Sac game and finally found him for a TD.  Then Luke the last game on the QB scramble. I've been baffled since day one on why they don't use Luke and Cloyd more? They are open often during the games just seems the QB stares down the receivers or forces the throws instead of looking to the other routes/options for a play. These two have great  hands and need to be utilized more. Again, pro-style offense as most call it does not hold water.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, O Town said:

Ya, Luke had the 4 catches and was thinking the QB might start looking their way this year.  He had a couple catches the next 2 games and then it dried up. Cloyd got a couple following those games till the Sac game and finally found him for a TD.  Then Luke the last game on the QB scramble. I've been baffled since day one on why they don't use Luke and Cloyd more? They are open often during the games just seems the QB stares down the receivers or forces the throws instead of looking to the other routes/options for a play. These two have great  hands and need to be utilized more. Again, pro-style offense as most call it does not hold water.

This is becoming more and more obvious to me a novice of football plays. Studs and Kett have gotten their marching orders from Coach. Do not variate. Otherwise how could the both of them play the same way? A good Qb is quick to scope the field and use his arm as it was intended. I have watched enough NFL to see how Tight Ends are utilized. Also Eastern colleges do the same. But here in the Mid West. Oh no, heaven forbid.

11 minutes ago, Finn flick said:

This is becoming more and more obvious to me a novice of football plays. Studs and Kett have gotten their marching orders from Coach. Do not variate. Otherwise how could the both of them play the same way? A good Qb is quick to scope the field and use his arm as it was intended. I have watched enough NFL to see how Tight Ends are utilized. Also Eastern colleges do the same. But here in the Mid West. Oh no, heaven forbid.

SDSU. Also, Weber killed us with their TE.

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

SDSU. Also, Weber killed us with their TE.

Because it’s built into their offense.

Rudolph just has blatant gaps within his offense, noticeably his screen game and TE play-action game. Let’s take this time to remember what Rudolph was prior to coming to UND; certainly nothing impressive or anything that screams championships. 

On 10/30/2018 at 8:52 PM, letsfish said:

Is Idaho down substantially from their Sun Belt and FBS days ( less than two years after a bowl win over Colo St) or is FCS and the Big Sky just better than Idaho presumed?  You have a big game at Florida coming up, so that will be your bowl game.

Practically all your fans on the message board we’re going to boycott FCS, but the attendance doesn’t reflect that.

After four years of Sun Belt football, which overarchingly features box-loaded, run-centric stratagems, UI wasn't prepared for the new-look Big Sky Conference groups. 

So UND's offense may be closer to what Idaho is used to seeing.... and built to stop.

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Is Idaho down substantially from their Sun Belt and FBS days ( less than two years after a bowl win over Colo St) or is FCS and the Big Sky just better than Idaho presumed?  You have a big game at Florida coming up, so that will be your bowl game.

Practically all your fans on the message board we’re going to boycott FCS, but the attendance doesn’t reflect that.

there was a definite drop off of some boosters (and donations) when we went to FCS , but also, in the past,  there were some holding out that said 'we aren't coming back until we're in the big sky'..are those folks back? I don't know..our tailgate area population hasn't changed..but parking priority is based on donation level, so maybe some of the 'new' folks will work their way up...I know out of our core group, we are down 3, but they also were driving 5-6 hours one way, so I don't blame them. I live here, so it's a no brainer to me to 'support the home team' even when we have WSU 8 miles away..I'm not sure I trust our attendance numbers shown all that much..last year we almost always reported 11K+ regardless of how it looked in the dome.. I think our 10K head counts are closer this year and they have switched to scanning the tickets rather than tearing the stubs off, so it may be more accurate..

In the article posted, I don't disagree with any of it..I'm not sure why we are so ungood  this year..football isn't like hoops where you recruit differently based on the conference you are in..it took us a couple three years to get good in the Sky for hoops when we were playing with WAC talent to start...football is football..and there are more bodies on a team.. I think some of our suck is platooning the QB's...neither with a ton of game experience, and not much chance to get a rhythm going when you sit every other series..we are also young in the trenches, so hopefully we can come around in the next few years..

29 minutes ago, letsfish said:

there was a definite drop off of some boosters (and donations) when we went to FCS , but also, in the past,  there were some holding out that said 'we aren't coming back until we're in the big sky'..are those folks back? I don't know..our tailgate area population hasn't changed..but parking priority is based on donation level, so maybe some of the 'new' folks will work their way up...I know out of our core group, we are down 3, but they also were driving 5-6 hours one way, so I don't blame them. I live here, so it's a no brainer to me to 'support the home team' even when we have WSU 8 miles away..I'm not sure I trust our attendance numbers shown all that much..last year we almost always reported 11K+ regardless of how it looked in the dome.. I think our 10K head counts are closer this year and they have switched to scanning the tickets rather than tearing the stubs off, so it may be more accurate..

In the article posted, I don't disagree with any of it..I'm not sure why we are so ungood  this year..football isn't like hoops where you recruit differently based on the conference you are in..it took us a couple three years to get good in the Sky for hoops when we were playing with WAC talent to start...football is football..and there are more bodies on a team.. I think some of our suck is platooning the QB's...neither with a ton of game experience, and not much chance to get a rhythm going when you sit every other series..we are also young in the trenches, so hopefully we can come around in the next few years..

Thanks for the insight letsfish. Appreciate it!