SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Penn St. Nashville 2020-21

FGHTNSX Hawkey14

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The Madison Square Garden game wasn't the Hall of Fame game.

I understand that and I am replying to your comment about these destination games and losing a home game. From my understanding, if it is the hall of fame game they get to add another game to their schedule.

10 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I understand that and I am replying to your comment about these destination games and losing a home game. From my understanding, if it is the hall of fame game they get to add another game to their schedule.

Understood. You are correct. This one was a "bonus" game.

Point is all these destination games won't be that way as history has proved.

Wisconsin hosted the Hall of Fame game last year in Madison.

I just played in a hockey tournament out in Nashville this past May and it is a total party town. It also helped that the Preds were playing the Jets in the playoffs but regardless, it’s a crazy fun town. I’m very much looking forward to going back for the UND destination game in a few years. 

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Reasons to have these games in my opinion:

- Exposure to other markets including emerging ones(such as Vegas, Nashville, Seattle) as who knows where the next Auston Matthews is coming from?

-Recruiting- Players look forward to these experiences and notice them when picking schools. Imagine being a recruit and seeing social media posts and highlights of the crazy party in Vegas?

- Alumni support - Bring alumni into the fold that can't make it to The Ralph for home games but will definitely go to a worthwhile destination and as a result spend more $ on tickets, apparel, donations, etc.

Also I will add player experience. When these players graduate, looking back, these are going to be games they’ll remember. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

- Exposure to other markets including emerging ones(such as Vegas, Nashville, Seattle) as who knows where the next Auston Matthews is coming from?

-Recruiting- Players look forward to these experiences and notice them when picking schools. Imagine being a recruit and seeing social media posts and highlights of the crazy party in Vegas?

- Alumni support - Bring alumni into the fold that can't make it to The Ralph for home games but will definitely go to a worthwhile destination and as a result spend more $ on tickets, apparel, donations, etc.

All excellent points.

The NCHC helped sponsor and put on the New York game, including helping arrange the match-up, so there is a bit of a difference when trying to use that as a comparison. Good chance that game doesn't happen without that backing and it didn't replace anything. Even if you want to claim UND "lost" a home game, as already stated, UND hosted the HoF game that year, so they picked up an exempt game anyway that replaces any potential loss.

At this point, UND/REA probably feels pretty confident they can put the games on themselves and collect more of the revenue.

50 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Is it possible to have a recruit visit the destination game, or do they have to visit the campus on their official visit?   Don't know how any recruit could not have been impressed with the atmosphere at the game in Vegas last weekend.  

So why the delay to announce the Nashville game?  Waiting for the football schedule to be released?  Penn St to formally accept to play the game?  I would guess with the buzz of the Vegas game still hanging around, You would think they would make the announcement sooner rather than later.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

The key here is for UND not to over play their hand and schedule these destination games too often. We don’t want it becoming how outdoor games have become....over exposed and passé. 

Once every two years seems like the sweet spot while not overdoing it.   I'll be there!   

36 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

The key here is for UND not to over play their hand and schedule these destination games too often. We don’t want it becoming how outdoor games have become....over exposed and passé. 

Irish hockey to host Michigan at Notre Dame stadium outdoor game

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2018-10-30/irish-hockey-host-michigan-notre-dame-stadium-outdoor-game

13 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I remember when the outdoor game vs UNO was announced I thought it was the coolest idea.  Now... I really hope they never schedule another one.

Based on the ice conditions and delays that occurred that day, I don't think you have anything to worry about!!

52 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I remember when the outdoor game vs UNO was announced I thought it was the coolest idea.  Now... I really hope they never schedule another one.

38 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Based on the ice conditions and delays that occurred that day, I don't think you have anything to worry about!!

That seemed to be a outlier. I thought it should've been a late gake from the start. Also USHL game should've been played a different day to test ice as well as to not tear it up for the Collegiate game. 

That was the first of 3 outdoor games I have been to, fans were still great but experience could've been improved. Did REA guys help put that together?

The Hockey City Classic in MN had opposite issue when they choise night game and wind chills were -13. Supposidely the had to pump warm water thru the under ice piping to keep it playable. The NHL guys have it to a pretty good science for the Stadium Series.

I don't agree that it would necessarily take away a home game, even if it isn't a hof game.  If it is a one - off, with a name school, there is a chance that getting them to come to the Ralph, we would need to do a home and home.  This allows UND to play a name school, at a favorable neutral site venue, and likely not have to owe a return trip.  I'm thinking a program like Penn State would jump at the chance to do Nashville, without requiring much in return.  However, I'd speculate that part of the reason Michigan supposedly backed out, or fell through, is because they may have wanted a home game in return, or some other type of compensation.  They are notorious for only wanting to play home games. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I don't agree that it would necessarily take away a home game, even if it isn't a hof game.  If it is a one - off, with a name school, there is a chance that getting them to come to the Ralph, we would need to do a home and home.  This allows UND to play a name school, at a favorable neutral site venue, and likely not have to owe a return trip.  I'm thinking a program like Penn State would jump at the chance to do Nashville, without requiring much in return.  However, I'd speculate that part of the reason Michigan supposedly backed out, or fell through, is because they may have wanted a home game in return, or some other type of compensation.  They are notorious for only wanting to play home games. 

Yeah, playing Penn St doesn't do much for me...would rather it was a Michigan/BC/DU/Minny (again) matchup, would think it would be a bigger draw.  Maybe the Fighting Paterno's fans will show up in full force.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Does Penn State have a hockey message board?  Can't really find anything online, which is surprising given their attendance.

Not sure about message board but they have some bloggers I would call moderately clueless... but I do remember when this rumored game started to pick up steam, I think they were excited to play traditional power as opposed to their normal non conference schedule of Atlantic Hockey opponents. 

I googled Roar Zone - that’s the name of their student section, and some things come up.