SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Penn St. Nashville 2020-21

FGHTNSX Hawkey14

14 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I'll start saving for Vegas 2.0 then. :)

I'm one of those people who, along with other friends, were ready to buy tickets but didn't go cause they sold out so fast.

A few UND fans were selling tickets at the pregame party, but not many. (if you wanted to gamble on getting a ticket) Anyway, it looks like the mark is 17,113 for Ice Hockey in Nashville.

Bridgestone Arena has a seating capacity of 17,113 for ice hockey, 19,395 for basketball, 10,000 for half-house concerts, 18,500 for end-stage concerts and 20,000 for center-stage concerts, depending on the configuration used. 

A quick search shows that capacity seating for Bridgestone Arena is 17,133 for hockey.  I have not doubts that a game against Penn State would sell out.  I skipped on Vegas but would not skip out on Nasheville for a number of reasons.  I also attended MSG and the Omaha game.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Don't blow the narrative on why there was poor attendance at the Alerus Saturday.

You don't see the disparity in the attendance figures for the home games?  Even you have to admit they were missing at least 500-1000 people that would have been at the Alerus Center.  

1 minute ago, dmksioux said:

A quick search shows that capacity seating for Bridgestone Arena is 17,133 for hockey.  I have not doubts that a game against Penn State would sell out.  I skipped on Vegas but would not skip out on Nasheville for a number of reasons.  I also attended MSG and the Omaha game.  

I see we caught the seating capacity at the same time......these are can't miss trips!!  

2 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

We travel well. Penn st travels well how else do you think a city smaller then Minot can fill a 106,000 seat stadium for football. Even flown with a capt who tried his best to have his Saturday overnights in state college arrive before kickoff. And his wife would meet him at the crew hotel and off to the game they’d go.  

Comparing State College to Minot is like comparing Apple's to Oranges. State College fills it's stadium with people from its surrounding big cities (Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Philly).

19 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Comparing State College to Minot is like comparing Apple's to Oranges. State College fills it's stadium with people from its surrounding big cities (Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Philly).

You’ve proven my point. They travel. It’s 3-4 hour drive from those cities. 

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

You don't see the disparity in the attendance figures for the home games?  Even you have to admit they were missing at least 500-1000 people that would have been at the Alerus Center.  

I had no problem finding someone to use my 4 tickets so my seats weren't empty. 

Delta flys direct from Minny to Nashville in 2 hrs 11 minutes for $255 on Priceline 

It’s a bucket list town with great party bars, restaurants, bourbon, and live music close together with no cover. 

North Dakota can take over the Wild Horse with 2,000 capacity. 

I wouldn’t count on PSU fans if they play a football that night but if not there would be a couple thousand from the local base.

But I think it could sell out simply because of the location, venue, and a shot at PSU.

Getting a vrbo for 5-6 days in the surrounding area might be a good idea. There’s a lot of great views and things to do within driving distance. 

I go to maybe 3-4 hockey games a year. I would seriously consider going to Nashville. I have been there a few times and had a blast. I think I can convince up to a group of ten to make Nashville an event get together. Most of them have never been to a college hockey game. The big arena with a great chance to get tickets would allow this get together to happen.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4521438-commentary-und-destination-games-keep-growing-popularity

"And, assuming they get things finalized, Nashville 2020 will be bigger than Vegas."

Given the high demand for Vegas tickets and the number of fans that wanted to go but couldn't, and the fact that the game will be in an 17,000+ seat arena....Absolutely Nashville will be bigger than Vegas.  Just for the fact there will be well over twice as many people there.  Can you imagine a scene like this on Broadway on game day but instead with a sea of green UND fans?!!!!+

broadway.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

These destination games could be a big thing in the future if done right as Brad points out.

But then the REA will be turned over to the University and will they keep doing them?

Besides being something fun for the fans who can afford to do it, what other benefits are there from a UND standpoint?  I mean, it's a hockey game that could be played in GF with people spending money in GF restaurants and bars.  Does the arena or UND benefit financially from the ticket sales?

Also, I'd like to see a little more coordination with the Football schedule, as to not have conflicts.  I was at the game in MSG, but actually was bummed that I would miss the first home playoff football game in years (although, in the end, it was probably better that I was in NYC, with the football game ending the way it did).  The Vegas hockey game seemed to trump the important home football game this year.

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Besides being something fun for the fans who can afford to do it, what other benefits are there from a UND standpoint?  I mean, it's a hockey game that could be played in GF with people spending money in GF restaurants and bars.  Does the arena or UND benefit financially from the ticket sales?

That's the point many will make. Especially if it takes away a UND home game.

33 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Besides being something fun for the fans who can afford to do it, what other benefits are there from a UND standpoint?

I mean, it's a hockey game that could be played in GF with people spending money in GF restaurants and bars.  Does the arena or UND benefit financially from the ticket sales?

Also, I'd like to see a little more coordination with the Football schedule, as to not have conflicts.  I was at the game in MSG, but actually was bummed that I would miss the first home playoff football game in years (although, in the end, it was probably better that I was in NYC, with the football game ending the way it did).  The Vegas hockey game seemed to trump the important home football game this year.

I am guessing your first statement is the key. Many UND fans can afford the trip but it is the alum who can REALLY afford it that I am assuming had some scheduled time and meetings with the higher ups in our alumni office and administration to discuss possible donations, scholarships, endowments, etc.....if not, then they are doing it wrong.

• Upvote 1