SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Penn St. Nashville 2020-21

FGHTNSX Hawkey14

Like it or not.... one of the MAJOR factors for success in Vegas was the 7500 seat Arena. Glass issues aside(as that can be addressed), The packed, intimate house was key.

I dont think the same feel would have been had in Tmobile.... I dont see 10,000 more people making the trek.

And thats with Minnesota, in Nashville I dont see 20,000 people attending. Vegas has got so much more peripheral actions for so many more folks. Plus easier travel from almost everywhere in the country.  

For Nashville to work I think it has to follow the same small, intimate, and exclusive format.

• Upvote 4

There isn’t an arena in Nashville (even the the Predators current and former practice facilities are way too small) that have more than a couple thousand seats except Bridgestone, which would be too large.  But Nashville likely wants the Frozen Four, so Nashville civic groups might get behind the effort.  A lot of Predator fans might be interested in college hockey experience as they haven’t been exposed.

Penn St actually has a rather large alumni group there and have attended Predator games.  Their alumni base is huge and they seem to be more into hockey that Ohio St as an example as their basketball sucks.  But during football season would be a no-no unless they get a Penn St game in the Titans stadium the same weekend.

http://www.nashvillepennstaters.com/WeAre

From Louisville, Memphis and Atlanta airports Nashville isn’t that far if one can’t get a cheap ticket to Nashville.

18 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

People came to Vegas from 44 states... It's not like everyone is coming from Grand Forks and Fargo.

Nashville is ONLY (:lol:) a 15 hour drive from Fargo, so people could always drive also if they don’t want to fly it, so that could make a difference. Flights were sky high to Vegas and a lot of people flew out of airports not normally in the conversation. Nashville could just be easier to get to for many in the Midwest. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I just found round trip flights from Denver to Nashville 3 months from now for under $300. Nashville went be hard to get to.

I was considering going to Nashville this last summer for vacation and I found flights out of Minneapolis were around $230, 2 months in advance was when I looked. I ended up going to Boston instead though ($105 round trip - hard to beat! :lol:

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Nashville is much harder to get to for North Dakotans than Vegas. Most would prefer Vegas over Nashville, for familiarity alone. 

2 hours ago, WiSioux said:

People came to Vegas from 44 states... It's not like everyone is coming from Grand Forks and Fargo.

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

Allegiant flights aren't cheap when 5000 people want to leave ND at the same time. As we just found out.

A lot of the fans that show up for the Nashville puck drop won't have a primary residence in GF or surrounding area.

WiSioux, you are right, the fans came from everywhere. Most Vegas tickets were originally sold to season tickets holders, but many were resold to loyal UND fans that don't get to see many live games since they left college or ND. These buyers got a boatload of fun for a $200 or more ticket.  I arrived at noon for the FB game on the big screen, that left 7 hours to mingle with the fans. I visited with 21 fraternity brothers that I went to college with at the pre-game and only 4 of us were from GF and had season tickets, that's a small sample pool but shows somewhat of a deviation from the norm. I did run into many people that are season ticket holders but also many that aren't season ticket holders and don't live in the local area. This is far from the case at a normal UND home game. The UND / Ralph destination game planners have something going here.

The airline prices and challenges with limited area flights encouraged locals to put their tickets up for sale.

Edit: I would say a great majority of the fans were from 35 to 75 years old.

• Upvote 2

Nashville will be great.  Arena is downtown right off Broadway.  Hotels are very close as well as Broadway which is packed full of bars and restaurants.  In Vegas, UND fans were spread out over a very large area.  In Nashville, most people will stay downtown, so I think you will see a lot more green.  Not to mention there will be twice as many fans there than in Vegas!!  Another perk.......much cheaper!!!

• Downvote 1

We travel well. Penn st travels well how else do you think a city smaller then Minot can fill a 106,000 seat stadium for football. Even flown with a capt who tried his best to have his Saturday overnights in state college arrive before kickoff. And his wife would meet him at the crew hotel and off to the game they’d go.  

14 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Don't blow the narrative on why there was poor attendance at the Alerus Saturday.

20 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just because 44 states were represented doesn't mean anything close to a majority came from outside the ND/MN area.

Probably not, when you are using ND/MN area vs. GF area. But possible, when you use non-season ticket holders - then your percentages go up. A lot of M/SP residents and a scattering of other states.  Season ticket holders resold many tickets to non GF area buyers, They were for sale on many web sites for a long time. I talked to people who paid $500 a seat down to $150 a seat.

This attendance would be hard to figure out, many were not regulars to live games. But watching on TV, internet, reading print, or replay of a game - these fans kept up with the team.

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2018 at 1:11 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

Like it or not.... one of the MAJOR factors for success in Vegas was the 7500 seat Arena. Glass issues aside(as that can be addressed), The packed, intimate house was key.

I dont think the same feel would have been had in Tmobile.... I dont see 10,000 more people making the trek.

And thats with Minnesota, in Nashville I dont see 20,000 people attending. Vegas has got so much more peripheral actions for so many more folks. Plus easier travel from almost everywhere in the country.  

For Nashville to work I think it has to follow the same small, intimate, and exclusive format.

I agree with this for the most part. I understand why they did what they did (keeping it exclusive and expensive), and things worked out exactly like they were hoping for and it was a great success. I think they made the right call, and now this Vegas game is serving as a great setup for an even bigger success in Nashville. I think this Nashville game can be equally successful, but with a different style. Less exclusiveness feel, lower % of TRUE hardcore UND fans, cheaper tickets, but MUCH higher attendance. 

So if they sold all 7,500 tickets in 30 seconds, how many more did they miss out on? On top of that, they now have this extremely successful Vegas game spreading the hype. They have every person that attended Vegas chomping at the bit to get tickets for the next game, they have all the people that tried to get tickets and failed making sure they don't fail at getting them for this next game, and they also have all the people that didn't think about going to the game pissed that they missed out and chomping at the bit to make it to this next one. In my personal experience, I was discouraged from buying tickets right off the bat when I heard how few seats there were and knew it would be an expensive and a battle to get tickets. So me and every hockey fan I know that didn't go are already talking about going for sure to this next one. I'm sure that's a common theme for all UND fans, not just GF and ND based UND fans. 

The demand is there no doubt. Even if prices are high for this game, I think they'll sell 20,000 tickets no problem...and honestly, that's probably without even including Penn State fans. Look at the 2016 championship game...there were what, 19,500 tickets sold for that game and that was a last minute purchase and trip for a lot of those people? If you can plan this out over a year in advance, you're going to get A LOT of people in those seats. Plus I honestly think Penn State probably has a stronger following than the goofs do currently. Not only that, but I bet they'll get a decent amount of alum making the drive to Nashville with how many thousands of them are scattered throughout the Mid-western workforce. 

If cow state can get 18,000 fans for a regular season game or whatever their brick barn holds, I bet UND can easily get 20k down to Nashville for an epic weekend game no problem. I know I'll be there! 

47 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just because 44 states were represented doesn't mean anything close to a majority came from outside the ND/MN area.

But it goes to show how big of a deal this game was by drawing fans out of every corner of the country to make it there. The uniqueness of this type of game is going to attract every type of fan and regardless of where they live. 

If they get the NHL arena in Nashville. They should have gotten the NHL arena in Vegas.

If you asked UND hockey fans which city they'd prefer Vegas or Nashville. Most would say Vegas.

If you asked UND hockey fans who they'd prefer to play Minnesota or Penn State. Most would say Minnesota.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

If they get the NHL arena in Nashville. They should have gotten the NHL arena in Vegas.

If you asked UND hockey fans which city they'd prefer Vegas or Nashville. Most would say Vegas.

If you asked UND hockey fans who they'd prefer to play Minnesota or Penn State. Most would say Minnesota.

The Vegas game was in the works before the NYC game. They knew after that game at MSG that they should have gotten the NHL rink in Vegas, which is why the Nashville game, which has been in the works for a while, will be at Bridgestone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

The Vegas game was in the works before the NYC game. They knew after that game at MSG that they should have gotten the NHL rink in Vegas, which is why the Nashville game, which has been in the works for a while, will be at Bridgestone. 

I'll start saving for Vegas 2.0 then. :)

I'm one of those people who, along with other friends, were ready to buy tickets but didn't go cause they sold out so fast.

23 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I agree with this for the most part. I understand why they did what they did (keeping it exclusive and expensive), and things worked out exactly like they were hoping for and it was a great success. I think they made the right call, and now this Vegas game is serving as a great setup for an even bigger success in Nashville. I think this Nashville game can be equally successful, but with a different style. Less exclusiveness feel, lower % of TRUE hardcore UND fans, cheaper tickets, but MUCH higher attendance. 

So if they sold all 7,500 tickets in 30 seconds, how many more did they miss out on? On top of that, they now have this extremely successful Vegas game spreading the hype. They have every person that attended Vegas chomping at the bit to get tickets for the next game, they have all the people that tried to get tickets and failed making sure they don't fail at getting them for this next game, and they also have all the people that didn't think about going to the game pissed that they missed out and chomping at the bit to make it to this next one. In my personal experience, I was discouraged from buying tickets right off the bat when I heard how few seats there were and knew it would be an expensive and a battle to get tickets. So me and every hockey fan I know that didn't go are already talking about going for sure to this next one. I'm sure that's a common theme for all UND fans, not just GF and ND based UND fans. 

The demand is there no doubt. Even if prices are high for this game, I think they'll sell 20,000 tickets no problem...and honestly, that's probably without even including Penn State fans. Look at the 2016 championship game...there were what, 19,500 tickets sold for that game and that was a last minute purchase and trip for a lot of those people? If you can plan this out over a year in advance, you're going to get A LOT of people in those seats. Plus I honestly think Penn State probably has a stronger following than the goofs do currently. Not only that, but I bet they'll get a decent amount of alum making the drive to Nashville with how many thousands of them are scattered throughout the Mid-western workforce. 

If cow state can get 18,000 fans for a regular season game or whatever their brick barn holds, I bet UND can easily get 20k down to Nashville for an epic weekend game no problem. I know I'll be there! 

Your 2nd & 3rd paragraphs seem to be a pretty good observation. Would it be great if we had about 15,000 fans and and Penn State had about 5,000 fans. Having oppenent fans in the crowd (especially if there in exculsive sections), would add to the atmosphere. Sign me up.