SiouxSports.com Forum

WDAZ.com merges with WDAY.com

nodak651

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, John W. said:

Forum Communications strikes again......they've turned the Herald from a morning paper to an afternoon paper.......how long before WDAZ is completely shuttered..GF needs new blood for newspaper owners...Herald's market reach is about 250.000 people...from Baudette east to Rugby and south until it merges with the Forum..

While I hear what you're saying in ref to "afternoon paper" as the news is late, they would actually be better if they did go back to being an afternoon paper again (or even just mid morning), that way the game stories from the previous night would at least make it in the next day's paper instead of 2 -3 days later.  But yup, WDAZ is slowly fading away... 

So will there be any local sports coverage?  I only get Fargo stations on DirecTV and quit watching news quite a while ago as they never cover anything out of GF other than quick UND hockey blurb.  Has this changed?

WDAZ had found pretty decent niche the last past 5 years or so of getting stories out there of local athletes.  Though they still forget to shoot some sports until state trips are involved.  Herald has reduced their high school coverage the last couple years.  Not their choice.  Parent company wants to make sure we get plenty of mcfooly and kolcrap.

KNOX radio needs to increase its news and sports coverage.  KROX in Crookston provides a lot of HS sports coverage and other news, as the TV stations don’t and the local paper is so slow.  KNOX has a news/sports site, but doesn’t have that many breaking stories as KROX does.

• Upvote 1

Forum Communications is slowly converting the Herald website into the "online version of WDAZ."

Seems to be part of the reason the Herald recently hired a new sportswoman. As she seems to do a lot of video.

(The physical GF Herald will likely be completely gone in three to five years. The paper lost Mondays, just like WDAZ had previously lost weekends.)

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

KNOX radio needs to increase its news and sports coverage.  KROX in Crookston provides a lot of HS sports coverage and other news, as the TV stations don’t and the local paper is so slow.  KNOX has a news/sports site, but doesn’t have that many breaking stories as KROX does.

Fees’ take pride in KROX.  I think they are better then the times. 

51 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Fees’ take pride in KROX.  I think they are better then the times. 

Chris does a great job and puts on a lot of miles to do his coverage.  Goes to a lot of state competitions just to get pictures.

Just now, Smoggy said:

Chris does a great job and puts on a lot of miles to do his coverage.  Goes to a lot of state competitions just to get pictures.

Frank was still in the booth last year with Mr. Kleven  broadcasting boys and girls hockey (Scott) he’ll always be Mr. Kleven to me. 

On 11/30/2018 at 2:20 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Do the cities of Williston and Dickinson still have their own newscasts for their two stations in each?  If so, Bismarck doesn’t have the power yet to take over Minot, Williston and Dickinson.

As far as NBC, Dickinson lost their local news in the mid to late 90s, when Meyer TV still owned the stations.

Williston still has local news, and Jon Cole still does sports up there.  I'm guessing the distance from Bismarck and the huge amount of Montana that gets KUMV is part of why they still have theirs, they can do news more relevant to the area than Bismarck could.

On the CBS side, Dickinson hasn't had local news since Reiten bought the station in the 80s and turned it into KXMA.  Other than When Tom Szymanski was at KXMB, there was a time when they'd insert weather forecasts specifically for Dickinson, but they stopped that by the time he moved back to Fargo.  I have no idea if KXMD ever had local news, I am going to assume not.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you haven't already done so give them a follow:

https://twitter.com/grandlifestyle1

It's the least a person can do to try and support people working to cover anything Grand Forks related....especially with the elimination of WDAZ.

While I'm (and you) at it bookmarck knoxradio.com (or follow on twitter) as they have their own independent news room and are doing more local Grand Forks news and sports video via youtube live.

• 2 weeks later...

I once was one of those that got up & read the paper daily but got sick of the Herald long ago at least 10 yrs or more quit the Herald & really never missed it -

Have went thru phases where I listened to KNOX on radio but it is Lame as much as interesting 

More reasons to eventually get the he!! Out 

I check out the Herald website .mainly to see who died

I know.....I know 

• 2 weeks later...

Forum recently announced that they are moving the Dickinson Press to Mail delivery only.  No more carriers.  They have a special agreement with the post office to pick up the papers in the morning, and it will come with that day's mail.  If you liked reading the paper with breakfast, you will be soon out of luck.

Wonder how long it will take for them to use this idea for their bigger papers?

3 hours ago, NeutralObserver said:

Forum recently announced that they are moving the Dickinson Press to Mail delivery only.  No more carriers.  They have a special agreement with the post office to pick up the papers in the morning, and it will come with that day's mail.  If you liked reading the paper with breakfast, you will be soon out of luck.

Wonder how long it will take for them to use this idea for their bigger papers?

I think this seriously devalues their product.

By the time the mail comes, Ive heard everything theough aocial media or TV news already.

Plus those carriers, thise kids with a paper route, the children.... who will think about the children.!.!.!.!.!!

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

In our area it is adults doing the delivery, because the routes have become so long, the days of the paperboy on the bike are gone.

that and the fact that those snowflake kids dont work for a thing anymore....

- signed grumpy old man.  ;)