SiouxSports.com Forum

WDAZ.com merges with WDAY.com

nodak651

13 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

At some point there is going to be an opportunity for a new local Grand Forks paper to start up and take the market.

That should go down as the dumbest post ever on sioux sports!  Who in their right mind would ever start up a newspaper in this day and age? Especially in a small market like grand forks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Texas rancher said:

That should go down as the dumbest post ever on sioux sports!  Who in their right mind would ever start up a newspaper in this day and age? Especially in a small market like grand forks.

I realize siouxsports doesn't have nearly the level of dumb posts as bisonswille so the standard is a little different, but if Jamestown can have a daily newspaper, I think Grand Forks can manage.  We're not there yet (may not even be there in 15 years), but Grand Forks will start losing a lot more coverage eventually, as the focus will be on Fargo.  Wouldn't even need a physical paper, just a website with Grand Forks news.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I realize siouxsports doesn't have nearly the level of dumb posts as bisonswille so the standard is a little different, but if Jamestown can have a daily newspaper, I think Grand Forks can manage.  We're not there yet (may not even be there in 15 years), but Grand Forks will start losing a lot more coverage eventually, as the focus will be on Fargo.  Wouldn't even need a physical paper, just a website with Grand Forks news.

Jamestown has an established newspaper, just like devils lake, and other small towns. You are moving the goal posts from what you originally posted, you were claiming someone was going to come into grand forks and start a newspaper.  Newsflash, never going to happen, I know you will never admit it was a stupid statement. Have a nice day.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Jamestown has an established newspaper, just like devils lake, and other small towns. You are moving the goal posts from what you originally posted, you were claiming someone was going to come into grand forks and start a newspaper.  Newsflash, never going to happen, I know you will never admit it was a stupid statement. Have a nice day.

I don't see how I've moved the goalposts, but whatever.  You overreacted to a statement and now you're trying to shout down the opponent in an effort to end discussion.  Good job.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't see how I've moved the goalposts, but whatever.  You overreacted to a statement and now you're trying to shout down the opponent in an effort to end discussion.  Good job.

I agree with you. It’s a long shot but towns like Dickinson are getting mostly Fargo news in their newspaper and their subscriptions are dropping.  Not because people don’t want the news paper, they just want local news.  

I can only imagine how Fargo news and sports coverage is going to be received in Grand Forks.  

39 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

This as long as they give updated news and not a week old like UND playing Montana a week after the game.  Local is the key. Local will support local given a choice.

Forum Communications strikes again......they've turned the Herald from a morning paper to an afternoon paper.......how long before WDAZ is completely shuttered..GF needs new blood for newspaper owners...Herald's market reach is about 250.000 people...from Baudette east to Rugby and south until it merges with the Forum..

34 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Coming in and starting a brand new newspaper makes about as much sense as opening a blockbuster movie store.  Both are, or in the newspaper case, within ten years, obsolete business.  Understand?

9 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Coming in and starting a brand new newspaper makes about as much sense as opening a blockbuster movie store.  Both are, or in the newspaper case, within ten years, obsolete business.  Understand?

Ah, I say I read something in the paper all the time even though I haven't read a physical newspaper in years.  There will eventually be an opportunity for a local Grand Forks news service to start up and take the market.  Better?

9 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Wait a minute; I thought you held the title to the top 10 dumbest posts on Siouxsports.com.  

8 hours ago, John W. said:

Forum Communications strikes again......they've turned the Herald from a morning paper to an afternoon paper.......how long before WDAZ is completely shuttered

In case you haven't noticed, the "Home Team" is getting their *ss kicked!  The only reason WDAZ is even part of their name is it's on their FCC license.  (based on their tower between GF and Devils Lake)   The anchors and reporters (make that 1 "reporter") on WDAZ already refer to themselves as WDAY news.    Most of their stories originate from Fargo.   They have 2 bad anchors who can barely read and 1 full time reporter who today chose to report on "what would you do if you won the lottery?" instead of an impactful local GF news story.   That wasn't even low-hanging fruit.   It's fruit that has already fallen on the ground!   WDAZ has already been transformed into a bureau operation - they just act like they still have a "local" newscast.   Shameful!  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, homer said:

I agree with you. It’s a long shot but towns like Dickinson are getting mostly Fargo news in their newspaper and their subscriptions are dropping.  Not because people don’t want the news paper, they just want local news.  

I can only imagine how Fargo news and sports coverage is going to be received in Grand Forks.  

East Grand Forks vs Crookston in high school football was game not finished at press time. That’s pathetic. 

4 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

East Grand Forks vs Crookston in high school football was game not finished at press time. That’s pathetic. 

And that started at 6! But with deadline of 630 pm nothing makes it.

The truly baffling part is how much they keep saying read online. I'm guessing a big portion of subscribers are older generation and I know my grandma doesn't go online. Also not every story is online. Even local sports stories. Guessing behind paywall???

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

In case you haven't noticed, the "Home Team" is getting their *ss kicked!  The only reason WDAZ is even part of their name is it's on their FCC license.  (based on their tower between GF and Devils Lake)   The anchors and reporters (make that 1 "reporter") on WDAZ already refer to themselves as WDAY news.    Most of their stories originate from Fargo.   They have 2 bad anchors who can barely read and 1 full time reporter who today chose to report on "what would you do if you won the lottery?" instead of an impactful local GF news story.   That wasn't even low-hanging fruit.   It's fruit that has already fallen on the ground!   WDAZ has already been transformed into a bureau operation - they just act like they still have a "local" newscast.   Shameful!  

In fairness, this has been the case for years.

I wouldn't say a new "dead fish wrapper" but if the news sources (local radio stations and weekly news papers) from Devils Lake to Bemidji and Roseau to Hillsboro banded together like the NewsDakota does for the Carrington, Jamestown, Valley City, Oakes part of the state I'd say they have something. 

http://www.newsdakota.com/ 

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, MissSioux85 said:

Terry Dullum posted this publicly to his Facebook page about an hour ago...

zn2a69.jpg

Do the cities of Williston and Dickinson still have their own newscasts for their two stations in each?  If so, Bismarck doesn’t have the power yet to take over Minot, Williston and Dickinson.

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

Do the cities of Williston and Dickinson still have their own newscasts for their two stations in each?  If so, Bismarck doesn’t have the power yet to take over Minot, Williston and Dickinson.

KX has shifted almost everything for Minot down to Bismarck.  Minot still gets local weather and sports though.

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Minot we get Bismarck for kx news wday and KMOT is still minot