SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State

Midwestern Hawk

This is an absolute must win for und. As it stands right now....und does not have a “quality” win.  The opponents combined record for their five wins is 16-26 with not a single playoff team.   Sam is 4-3 in a low end conf and Montana is 4-3....those two maybe, maybe have a slight chance at post season if they can win out.  But as right now ...they are both out.  After Weber, Unds three remaining games are against teams with no chance of playoffs.  Being independent, und will find no favors from the committee ....they need to win out (9-2) to assure a playoff spot.  Weber is legit and will be rated as a top 10 team coming into GF.  

With the majority of the people that I attend the football games with going to Vegas, word around work that they will be in Vegas and with the students not attending ....I’m wondering how the crowd will be ?  

• Upvote 1

Just to be clear, Constantine has started the majority of games and taken the majority of snaps for Weber this season. Jenks, who is now injured, is more of a running threat and came in in relief yesterday after Constantine struggled early. We'll be facing Weber's starting qb. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just to be clear, Constantine has started the majority of games and taken the majority of snaps for Weber this season. Jenks, who is now injured, is more of a running threat and came in in relief yesterday after Constantine struggled early. We'll be facing Weber's starting qb. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification. But... damn it, I was hoping for their backup! 

Just visited with my good buddy after church. He played in the Big Sky years ago and was an All-American. Said UND is a definite playoff team and has a top 10 FCS defense. Said they'll go as far as Kett can take them..... he's the X factor. Said UND's special teams are atrocious.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just visited with my good buddy after church. He played in the Big Sky years ago and was an All-American. Said UND is a definite playoff team and has a top 10 FCS defense. Said they'll go as far as Kett can take them..... he's the X factor. Said UND's special teams are atrocious.

That's the weak link. They need to clean that mess up. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Special teams will lead to an early round playoff exit. Not sure I've ever seen worse. 

We are so close to finally breaking the 20ppg allowed threshold. To me, that is the line between a good and really good defense. 15ppg is great. We have allowed 16.1 ppg vs FCS opponents on the year. We average 462 ypg and 29 ppg on offense this year, pretty amazing considering how terrible the offense looked in the first three games. 

Weber has allowed 22.0 ppg this year, and 18.83 ppg to FCS opponents. They're a really solid defense. Offensively they only average 266 ypg which just sounds off. No way their offense is that bad. Their Utah game is a huge outlier, so, adjusting for that, they average 300 ypg on offense. Not all that impressive of yardage but they still average 25.4 ppg. They have some explosive guys that can house it on any given play but, make no mistake, they hang their hat on defense. 

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We are so close to finally breaking the 20ppg allowed threshold. To me, that is the line between a good and really good defense. 15ppg is great. We have allowed 16.1 ppg vs FCS opponents on the year. We average 462 ypg and 29 ppg on offense this year, pretty amazing considering how terrible the offense looked in the first three games. 

Weber has allowed 22.0 ppg this year, and 18.83 ppg to FCS opponents. They're a really solid defense. Offensively they only average 266 ypg which just sounds off. No way their offense is that bad. Their Utah game is a huge outlier, so, adjusting for that, they average 300 ypg on offense. Not all that impressive of yardage but they still average 25.4 ppg. They have some explosive guys that can house it on any given play but, make no mistake, they hang their hat on defense. 

Games like this where not being able to walk away with at least 3 points on possessions will hurt UND.  Anything inside the 35 is 4 down territory??

28 minutes ago, homer said:

Games like this where not being able to walk away with at least 3 points on possessions will hurt UND.  Anything inside the 35 is 4 down territory??

I agree, this is likely to be a 20-17 type of game, both good defenses.  Not being able to make FG's is going to hurt.  This is the type of game where if we had a legit kicker I could see 3 FG's.  I hope the kid gets his head somewhat straightened out this week to be able to at least make short ones when when needed.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Weber’s D will show und what defenses are like outside of the big sky.  This will be a great test to see what und is able to do offensively  on the national scene.  If they can pound the ball and move it against Weber ...und is very capable of making a nice run into December.   Also....ST units need to put in 100 hr weeks to clean that sh*t up!  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Weber’s D will show und what defenses are like outside of the big sky.  This will be a great test to see what und is able to do offensively  on the national scene.  If they can pound the ball and move it against Weber ...und is very capable of making a nice run into December.   Also....ST units need to put in 100 hr weeks to clean that sh*t up!  

I think Leach should take a few days off. Clear his head. Get back to basics. It’s like a golfer who is in a slump. The best thing to do is not golf for a while instead of suffering from paralysis by analysis.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think Leach should take a few days off. Clear his head. Get back to basics. It’s like a golfer who is in a slump. The best thing to do is not golf for a while instead of suffering from paralysis by analysis.

we need to stop thinking that a little change here or some group therapy might help...it starts at the top...kostitch is clueless.. he needs to go..it's unfarir to keep someone  around when they clearly can't do their job when everyone else seems to have a clue as to how to do their jobs

41 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

His career hasn’t started off well that’s for sure. Definitely a kickers mental block. But every aspect of the ST is crap.  Kick/ punt coverage, kick/ punt return, snaps, tackling, blocking, punter, kicker.  Cannot understand why Greibel is not on the return teams !?  With Santiago hurt ...Wanzek is returning punts?     

5 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

His career hasn’t started off well that’s for sure. Definitely a kickers mental block. But every aspect of the ST is crap.  Kick/ punt coverage, kick/ punt return, snaps, tackling, blocking, punter, kicker.  Cannot understand why Greibel is not on the return teams !?  With Santiago hurt ...Wanzek is returning punts?     

Same question here. Stone hands? Still injured? 

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Anyone who has watched practice knows that Greibel is not that fast.  He may develop but has been hurt alot and isn't better than the guys in front of him.  At least right now

Just lacks top end speed or is he also not quick? For punt return, I'll take quick and shifty over a straight line sprinter.