SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Sacramento State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

JJ and Brady’s style is better suited for unds style.  They hit the hole without hesitation and can shoulder off a potential tackler or simply run them over in the trenches as where Santiago’s style ( home run hitter) , he dances around too much to find a opening. The holes are open for a minimal time....need to take advantage.   Santiago is obviously tremendously talented when healthy .....needs to be out wide with occasional backfield duty. 

All due respect to JJ and Brady, Santiago is our most dangerous offensive weapon. He does dance a bit too much at times, but if we limit his backfield carries I still want him to get 15-20 touches a game. I'm not sure I trust that would happen.

John reminds me a little bit of what it was like to watch Barry Sanders. Barry would take too many lost yardage plays trying to make something out of nothing, but on the next play would make 3 guys miss and bust one for 45 yards. At the end of the game he'd have 2 TDs and 135 yards.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

All due respect to JJ and Brady, Santiago is our most dangerous offensive weapon. He does dance a bit too much at times, but if we limit his backfield carries I still want him to get 15-20 touches a game. I'm not sure I trust that would happen.

John reminds me a little bit of what it was like to watch Barry Sanders. Barry would take too many lost yardage plays trying to make something out of nothing, but on the next play would make 3 guys miss and bust one for 45 yards. At the end of the game he'd have 2 TDs and 135 yards.

Putting Santiago in the slot would create major match-up problems for defenses. Putting him in the slot with JJ and Brady in the backfield would be even better.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

When heathy ....if John was lined up outside ....he would/ could have numerous touches with sweeps and screens....showcasing his talent.  Right now the offense is flowing with Brady and JJ as the combo.  Adding Santiago out wide would be a nightmare for defenses. Wanzek on one side with John on the other with the bulldozers inside.  Santiago can always come in and get some touches as rb but like I said JJ and Brady have been killing it.  Having Kett has helped defenses back off the line a bit helping the O line and the RBs.  The safeties aren’t as well tuned into the trenches either.  By adding Santiago out wide ....he will have one safety and one cb occupying him. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not entirely certain, but I think a good chunk of our play-action is with Brady in the backfield. We don't seem to do much play-action with Santiago and if that's the case it's a major mistake. I could be mistaken on this, but it's just a feeling I get watching these games, that more often than not if Santiago is in the backfield he's getting the ball or he's staying in for traditional pass blocking.

5 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

How many wins did Barry Sanders’ teams collect? Not enough.

I absolutely don’t want to disrespect Santiago because he’s a great player and well respected, but physical football is winning football. What Oliveira and J.J. offer is winning football. The exciting big plays of Santiago are fun from a fans perspective, but punishing opposing defenses with a physical running game will better fuel this team. It will better compliment the defense and even get the o-line in a better rhythm with physical run blocking.

My vote is for the “if it ain’t by broke, don’t fix it” option. Keep feeding Oliveira and J.J.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

How many wins did Barry Sanders’ teams collect? Not enough.

I absolutely don’t want to disrespect Santiago because he’s a great player and well respected, but physical football is winning football. What Oliveira and J.J. offer is winning football. The exciting big plays of Santiago are fun from a fans perspective, but punishing opposing defenses with a physical running game will better fuel this team. It will better compliment the defense and even get the o-line in a better rhythm with physical run blocking.

My vote is for the “if it ain’t by broke, don’t fix it” option. Keep feeding Oliveira and J.J.

Agreed, also turns out JJ has some wheels too! His whole day, other than the fumble, was impressive. Brady looked great as well. 

Just now, Longtime fan said:

The last 3 games: 

JJ-   464 yards (155/game) on 9.5 ave 

Brady -   359 yards ( 120/game) on 6.8 ave.   

Und has owned those 3 teams. 

This is also a strong indicator for the offensive line. Some runs JJ and Brady are making some things for themselves, but a good number of these they aren't getting touched until 4 or 5 yards downfield. JJ's 90 yard run was just a total domination by the offensive line on the d-line and backers. Despite the injuries there, they have been playing incredibly well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Feff said:

This is also a strong indicator for the offensive line. Some runs JJ and Brady are making some things for themselves, but a good number of these they aren't getting touched until 4 or 5 yards downfield. JJ's 90 yard run was just a total domination by the offensive line on the d-line and backers. Despite the injuries there, they have been playing incredibly well. 

Very much so.  I mentioned earlier that with a competent qb...the safeties haven’t been able to hug the line.  Huge difference for the OL. I was never on the OL is bad band  wagon...they were set up to fail. Rudy should have gone with Zimmerman last year for the fact Zim could throw keeping Ds honest. Buts that’s Rudy..  

Since last year I've felt that Brady should be the RB on the opening drive to pound the rock, because he almost always gets positive yards and it's important not to go 3 and out your first series.  Pound them the first drive with Brady and JJ, maybe first two drives....then put Santiago in for change of pace as RB.  But yes also have Santiago in out wide or something when Brady or JJ are in backfield.  If Santiago is still a little dinged up, if he was out there as somewhat of a decoy out wide and not getting contact, he would still draw attention. 

Santiago did have a 139 yards against Washington and a 60 yard run, for whomever was asking when his last run of over 40 yards was.  Only Santiago would have made that run.  The OL has really started to come together...I think there are some big runs for Santiago to be had now.  However I also agree......stick with what is working now!  Weber is physical, let Brady and JJ run them over. 

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Since last year I've felt that Brady should be the RB on the opening drive to pound the rock, because he almost always gets positive yards and it's important not to go 3 and out your first series.  Pound them the first drive with Brady and JJ, maybe first two drives....then put Santiago in for change of pace as RB.  But yes also have Santiago in out wide or something when Brady or JJ are in backfield.  If Santiago is still a little dinged up, if he was out there as somewhat of a decoy out wide and not getting contact, he would still draw attention. 

Santiago did have a 139 yards against Washington and a 60 yard run, for whomever was asking when his last run of over 40 yards was.  Only Santiago would have made that run.  The OL has really started to come together...I think there are some big runs for Santiago to be had now.  However I also agree......stick with what is working now!  Weber is physical, let Brady and JJ run them over. 

They asked about TD run over 40 yards and it was last year against Davis I believe. Anyway, he should be used like Kamara, Cohen, McCaffrey, and White. Some carries, some catches, lots of touches with an emphasis on getting him in a one on one in space. Pretty simple. We can pair that easily with our power run game and have defenses in a constant catch 22 situation.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They asked about TD run over 40 yards and it was last year against Davis I believe. Anyway, he should be used like Kamara, Cohen, McCaffrey, and White. Some carries, some catches, lots of touches with an emphasis on getting him in a one on one in space. Pretty simple. We can pair that easily with our power run game and have defenses in a constant catch 22 situation.

exactly...we've all been waiting to use him like this yet he has 4-8 games left in his career here...BUT Rudy it aint too late!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1