SiouxSports.com Forum

Augie announces they are examining the move to DI

Wildfan

20 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I'm curious how you look at the make up of "D1" hockey.....

Schools competing at the highest level of their sport in the country. Thats it. 

If it was possible to compete nationally by any other sport on campus I'd be all for and support their participation at the "D1" level.

On 10/14/2018 at 2:32 AM, ArchyAlum11 said:

Why? One of the major reasons we left the Big Sky was the insane travel costs, IF Augustana did move up to D1, they would be a stones throw away in Sioux Falls.

If it's all about travel costs, may as well go after UM-Crookston as well then...................

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

What’s so bad about Angie going d1? I would welcome them into the summit. For me, it makes things more interesting and allows me to see a few more games.

what makes us snobbish about who we are. I don’t consider us to be God’s gift to d1.

i enjoyed the ncc conference back in the day. 

As long as a school is willing to dedicate/fundraise an adequate amount to be respectable, I don't have a problem with them moving up.  If Augie is going to be a consistently terrible team that plays in a bad facility and not contribute to the league, that is one thing....and in that case, I want them to be in D2.  But if they are going to be a par school in the region, good for them.  

3 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

As long as a school is willing to dedicate/fundraise an adequate amount to be respectable, I don't have a problem with them moving up.  If Augie is going to be a consistently terrible team that plays in a bad facility and not contribute to the league, that is one thing....and in that case, I want them to be in D2.  But if they are going to be a par school in the region, good for them.  

Great points and I agree. I was assuming they would have the necessary financing to be successful.

as far as facilities, I was assuming Sanford would just build whatever they needed.

I hope the same can be said for UND.

Yeah I don’t really understand all the hate of Augie joining. I would assume they are likely to either drop football or go non-schollie and focus on basketball. Won the D2 ship 2 years ago. I’m interested to see if the rumors of Sanford wanting that D1 hockey team in Sioux Falls come to fruition. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

What’s so bad about Angie going d1? I would welcome them into the summit. For me, it makes things more interesting and allows me to see a few more games.

what makes us snobbish about who we are. I don’t consider us to be God’s gift to d1.

i enjoyed the ncc conference back in the day. 

It’s not like we were cake walking through the Big Sky. What makes people think the SL will be a cakewalk? The men’s basketball team couldn’t beat Omaha when they were still transitioning. I welcome Augy too.

• Downvote 1

USD and  SDSU’s Presidents could have vetoed an Augie moveup, but the taste of Sanford’s money is too good.

UND and NDSU won’t hardly be affected by their move, but USD and SDSU will take a much bigger hit in corporate support.  Augie will go for the neutral fans in Sioux Falls and probably get much of their support just by being the the same city.

Nashville has six DI programs near or in that city, but at least four of them (Belmont, Lipscomb, Austin Peay and Tennessee St). don’t hardly get media attention.  The Sioux Falls media is much more insular, so expect Augie to take up a lot of Sioux Falls’ coverage.

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

USD and  SDSU’s Presidents could have vetoed an Augie moveup, but the taste of Sanford’s money is too good.

UND and NDSU won’t hardly be affected by their move, but USD and SDSU will take a much bigger hit in corporate support.  Augie will go for the neutral fans in Sioux Falls and probably get much of their support just by being the the same city.

Nashville has six DI programs near that city, but at least four of them (Belmont, Lipscomb, Austin Peay and Tennessee St). don’t hardly get media attention.  The Sioux Falls media is much more insular, so expect Augie to take up a lot of Sioux Falls’ coverage.

I think that will take some time. I lived in SF the last year plus and never a mention of Augie anywhere really granted they are D2 still but that town is still dominated by SDSU and USD, mostly SDSU for obvious reasons. 

38 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Great points and I agree. I was assuming they would have the necessary financing to be successful.

as far as facilities, I was assuming Sanford would just build whatever they needed.

I hope the same can be said for UND.

The SF Arena is still operable, Premier center is too large for them, but if they ever start any hockey they have a excellent home but would battle Stampede for game nights. 

The Pentagon is also a facility that could host. Main arena/heritage court is nice and used by tge NBA G League affiliate of the Heat. Sanford could also build facilities.

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think that will take some time. I lived in SF the last year plus and never a mention of Augie anywhere really granted they are D2 still but that town is still dominated by SDSU and USD, mostly SDSU for obvious reasons. 

I actually hear about USF more than Augie