SiouxSports.com Forum

Augie announces they are examining the move to DI

Wildfan

Keloland News out of SF has a article with former  US Rep and current Augustana President about the school looking into going D1. 

They say they previously looked at the move 12 years ago when SDSU and NDSU went D1. 

Augie has a nicer on campus facility than alot of FCS teams, which even SF high school field can claim that.  

I do not know how their other facilities are, but I do know they have a softball and I believe baseball field on campus. And if needed can play BBall/Volleyball in the SF Arena. (do not see them needing premier center)

Link to article: 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

The next few years, most years, it'll feel like the NCC days for the most part. The only major "D1 difference" will be making the big dance in basketball once or twice a decade. And playing a yearly FBS game, which are always fun.

I'm not sure about that, There are three Minnesota Schools that could move up but I think there would be too much political push back from the U of M toward adding a 2nd D1 university in Minnesota. Minnesota State is perhaps the Best choice, its one of the few schools where its sports budgets currently breaks even (with a modest gain), St. Cloud and UMD also are in this category but have had to cut programs in fairly recent history to maintain that. UMD also has the disadvantage of being under the thumb of the U of M Twin Cities Campus, which is why it is unlikely that, even though it would make some sense to have a D-1 school in Minnesota's 4th largest metro area. Minnesota State would need to have either a new Football Stadium or a major renovation and expansion of Blakelsee stadium, Saint Cloud would require an expansion of the football stadium and a new basketball stadium.

10 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I'm not sure about that, There are three Minnesota Schools that could move up but I think there would be too much political push back from the U of M toward adding a 2nd D1 university in Minnesota. Minnesota State is perhaps the Best choice, its one of the few schools where its sports budgets currently breaks even (with a modest gain), St. Cloud and UMD also are in this category but have had to cut programs in fairly recent history to maintain that. UMD also has the disadvantage of being under the thumb of the U of M Twin Cities Campus, which is why it is unlikely that, even though it would make some sense to have a D-1 school in Minnesota's 4th largest metro area. Minnesota State would need to have either a new Football Stadium or a major renovation and expansion of Blakelsee stadium, Saint Cloud would require an expansion of the football stadium and a new basketball stadium.

Was my post a Rorschach test for you?

Got Minnesota on your Mind much? :lol:

The NCC when NDSU and SDSU left consisted of:

UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU
Omaha
Augustana
Mankato 
St. Cloud

6 out of the 8 teams will be together now in the Summit.

That will very much "feels like" the old NCC days.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Was my post a Rorschach test for you?

Got Minnesota on your Mind much? :lol:

The NCC when NDSU and SDSU left consisted of:

UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU
Omaha
Augustana
Mankato 
St. Cloud

6 out of the 8 teams will be together now in the Summit.

That will very much "feel like" the old NCC days.

It is the old NCC...

and thats fine...the stupidity lies in that its the same old thing at a 100x the cost.

For what?.....a few letters that if say fast tries to convince ourselves we are part of the big boys club???

All these schools would have been better off to keep to the small pond that fits them and be happy winning DII championships. In reality, I dont consider a D1 FCS any higher than D2... its like being B1 or B ... good great but...

Its not A...and these schools dont matter to the real A teams. Never will. 

• Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It is the old NCC...

and thats fine...the stupidity lies in that its the same old thing at a 100x the cost.

For what?.....a few letters that if say fast tries to convince ourselves we are part of the big boys club???

All these schools would have been better off to keep to the small pond that fits them and be happy winning DII championships. In reality, I dont consider a D1 FCS any higher than D2... its like being B1 or B ... good great but...

We get it you hate all non hockey sports (especially football) at UND, and you think the FCS is a joke, but saying we should’ve stayed in DII is stupid and shows your complete ignorance towards our athletic program outside of the hockey program.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Augie does an honest and realistic assessment we should have nothing to fear.   No way can they justify a move to D1 unless they have blinders on when doing this study.    I'm of the opinion they will study it, puff their chest out about it for a while, and then stay put.

22 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

If Augie does an honest and realistic assessment we should have nothing to fear.   No way can they justify a move to D1 unless they have blinders on when doing this study.    I'm of the opinion they will study it, puff their chest out about it for a while, and then stay put.

I assume they would follow UNO's lead and drop FB.  In doing so, the cost of moving up is likely doable - especially with the backing of Sanford and some other big dollar alums and Sioux Falls businesses.  

Curious if a DI Auggie would affect funding for SDSU, USD, and perhaps even NDSU. Those schools are all tied to Sanford and the SD schools are all angling for the Sioux Falls market. Would they support letting a crappy little school with no endowment start slicing into the pie? 

Sanford just gave $100 mill to LIU, which just moved both campuses to DI.  

https://medium.com/liu-magazine/philanthropist-t-5acd1b309eca

He previously started an LIU entrepreneurial center at LIU Post.

Still has $2.5 bill to give away, as he wants to donate all his estate before he dies.

https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/home/2018/6/5/another-100-million-gift-from-billionaire-t-denny-sanford

He has enough to greatly endow Augie, which is in the town that gave him his fortune.

55 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Curious if a DI Auggie would affect funding for SDSU, USD, and perhaps even NDSU. Those schools are all tied to Sanford and the SD schools are all angling for the Sioux Falls market. Would they support letting a crappy little school with no endowment start slicing into the pie? 

If thats the case, welcome to the Summit Augustana! 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Say NO to Augie.

The Summit can do better. 

The SEC has stayed with Vanderbilt because he built and financed that U.

The PAC12 has stayed with Stanford, as it has been a stalwart in academics and athletics.

The ACC hasn’t kicked out Duke yet. 

If Sanford builds Augie a research Med School, they would be voted in.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The SEC has stayed with Vanderbilt because he built and financed that U.

The PAC12 has stayed with Stanford, as it has been a stalwart in academics and athletics.

The ACC hasn’t kicked out Duke yet. 

If Sanford builds Augie a research Med School, they would be voted in.

That would hurt USD.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That would hurt USD.

Would disagree.  Med School spots are so in demand.  An independent research med school would attract many more students and greatly increase the competence of the USD Med School long term as it is much related to a vibrant Sioux Falls.  That’s 1920’s thinking that it would hurt, as their weren’t airlines then and an internet, and it would hurt back then.  The medical world is much larger than SD.  USD’s School is mostly geared for family practice.  Highly doubt that Augie’s would be.

Google and Facebook and Apple are not made weaker by all locating their HQ’s near San Jose.  Maybe an earthquake damages them all, but their competence becomes stronger because they often exchange employees and ideas.

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Would disagree.  Med School spots are so in demand.  An independent research med school would attract many more students and greatly increase the competence of the USD Med School long term as it is much related to a vibrant Sioux Falls.  That’s 1920’s thinking.  The medical world is much larger than SD.  USD’s School is mostly geared for family practice.  Highly doubt that Augie’s would be.

Google and Facebook and Apple are not made weaker by all locating their HQ’s near San Jose.  Maybe an earthquake damages them all, but their competence becomes stronger because they often exchange employees.

I forgot about San Jose, OK using 2020 thinking, it would still be a challenge for Augie.

14 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Say NO to Augie.

The Summit can do better. 

1 minute ago, zonadub said:

You really think Douple has a plan that is not just reactionary?

Would actually prefer to see Mankao move up, but UM-TC will block that one. UMKC? UNC? What are your thoughts on this?

18 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It is the old NCC...

I'm curious how you look at the make up of "D1" hockey.....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

You really think Douple has a plan that is not just reactionary?

Sadly no

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

Would actually prefer to see Mankao move up, but UM-TC will block that one. UMKC? UNC? What are your thoughts on this?

Since you asked:

-No MNSCU school will get the nod because of the reason you just mentioned, but would require a lot of tough decisions for some school in regards to the sports they offer that, quite frankly, I don't think they would make.   

-There really isn't a great realistic option sadly.  Unless the WAC fell apart, NMSU would rather be a small fish in a big pond (they would be my #1 school to go after, would strength the Summit's basketball even more and make it one of the stronger 1-bid leagues, also address baseball issue, maybe find a way to help their FB scheduling with the Summit FB members (find a way to make the medicine go down)).  

-Montanas would be a pipe dream, Dakota 4 + UNO + DU + Montanas would be a great core of 8 schools (with this however, FB would be an issue and of course that would go against their thinking of wanting to be west.)

-UMKC and UNC would be more realistic options, you might as well grab both of them (because we all know that IFPW is on borrowed time) but both has issues again (UMKC might not even be a D1 school for much longer and what about UNC FB?)

I just don't think that waiting for Augie to become eligible 5 years down the road is the smart play here. Plus why would SDSU and USD want to actively share the pie.

Plus they too have a FB issue to deal with, I don't think that dropping it will be that easy for them given that not too long ago they invested in some facilities.