SiouxSports.com Forum

On To UNC

geaux_sioux

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

This is the season today in regards to what to expect fan attendance wise for the rest of UNDs home games.

Completely agree, this game will have a large effect on the attendance for the Montana game. Then, Montana game for the next home game. We pretty much have to continuing winning to give last years attendance average of 10,500 a challenge.

14 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Obviously.... I’m just saying we have now played 4 games, could we see someone sit out the rest of the year to use this rule. 

I believe the rule is the player may participate in 4 games during the season. 

I haven't found the specific rule but the WaPo described it as: "the NCAA’s new rule enabling athletes to redshirt after appearing in four games in a season". 

This rule would've been great when Studsrud had to start the last few games of a season. He burned an eligible year playing those games. Under this rule he'd have still been a redshirt and would be on the roster this year. 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe the rule is the player may participate in 4 games during the season. 

I haven't found the specific rule but the WaPo described it as: "the NCAA’s new rule enabling athletes to redshirt after appearing in four games in a season". 

This rule would've been great when Studsrud had to start the last few games of a season. He burned an eligible year playing those games. Under this rule he'd have still been a redshirt and would be on the roster this year. 

That’s exactly what the rule is. If you look at Clemson their former starting QB played in 4 games and has now decided to transfer after being demoted but since he only played in 4 games he will be able to play right away next year. I believe SHSU has a RB using this rule to his advantage as well to transfer and be immediately eligible next year. 

UND wins this game or else playoff hopes are gone.

I think UND wins the game. Northern Colorado shouldn’t be able to stop the run. If Fighting Hawks can’t run the ball consistently, Northern Colorado will hang around in the game and have a chance to win late. 

I am very concerned with how the running game disappeared in the second half of UND’s game against Idaho State.

32 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

That’s exactly what the rule is. If you look at Clemson their former starting QB played in 4 games and has now decided to transfer after being demoted but since he only played in 4 games he will be able to play right away next year. I believe SHSU has a RB using this rule to his advantage as well to transfer and be immediately eligible next year. 

I don't believe it's limited to just the first four games however; I read it as you can play in any four games but no more. 

I believe teams were talking about spotting people in during just home games throughout the full season (but not more than four games total for the player) to get them time but not burn a travel roster spot on an unproven player.  

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I'm not as confident or as excited about this game as I should be... :( 

I think there will be some fire in the guys this week after a horrible loss such as last week, but my overall view of the team is a lot lower than last week at this time. 

I have those exact same thoughts. 

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Completely agree, this game will have a large effect on the attendance for the Montana game. 

The Idaho State game was that game. 

Maybe 10% of the 11,000+ that were in the Alerus Center on 9/22/18 will be aware of UND’s score against Northern Colorado, but they all are aware that UND choked one away at home against Idaho State (again).

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The Idaho State game was that game. 

Maybe 10% of the 11,000+ that were in the Alerus Center on 9/22/18 will even be aware of UND’s score against Northern Colorado, but they all are aware that UND choked one away at home against Idaho State (again).

I would guess under 10,000 no matter what happens today

On 9/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, Longtime fan said:

The thing about Santiago.... he ignites double coverage by every  team just by being on the field. This is where Rudy could/should exploit the opposing teams weakness.  Teams have an eagle eye directed to Santiago. So many ways to use #22 .....whether the ball is in his hands or not.  Every team  “bites” when it looks like he’s getting it.   

I don't disagree with anything you said here but fortunately we looked just fine without him ;)

James was impressive to watch as well. He will never break one free but on his long run he carried the tackler for at least 15 yards on his back. Just awesome.

• Upvote 2

Santiago style is boom or bust. Most carries are for a ton of yards or for 0. With JJ and Brady they gain a consistent 4-6 yards with some longer runs. I really think we could run 3 consecutive run plays with Jj/Brady and sustain drives. I would like us to pound the football more but many of you would complain the play calling is poor. The difference is I don’t think running Santiago 3 straight plays would be as successful. Once they try to load the box to stop the run throw over the top for some big pass plays. 

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

Santiago style is boom or bust. Most carries are for a ton of yards or for 0. With JJ and Brady they gain a consistent 4-6 yards with some longer runs. I really think we could run 3 consecutive run plays with Jj/Brady and sustain drives. I would like us to pound the football more but many of you would complain the play calling is poor. The difference is I don’t think running Santiago 3 straight plays would be as successful. Once they try to load the box to stop the run throw over the top for some big pass plays. 

Only if it doesn't work.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Pretty easy to pound the rock again UNC who sucks in the trenches and makes a lot of “technical mistakes”. Doesn’t always work against stout DLs who don’t make “technical mistakes”

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty easy to pound the rock again UNC who sucks in the trenches and makes a lot of “technical mistakes”. Doesn’t always work against stout DLs who don’t make “technical mistakes”

The point made is still fair. Oliveira and Johannesson have the body types and running styles to be more “traditional” backs which obviously fits better with Rudolph’s “traditional” offense.

Santiago is awesome when breaking big runs out in the open but leaves much more to be desired when running up the gut in a crowd (which Rudolph calls often). This is why everyone on here has called for Santiago to be used out wide some with #5 or #33 in the backfield. Santiago’s body type and ability could be better utilized with this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The point made is still fair. Oliveira and Johannesson have the body types and running styles to be more “traditional” backs which obviously fits better with Rudolph’s “traditional” offense.

Santiago is awesome when breaking big runs out in the open but leaves much more to be desired when running up the gut in a crowd (which Rudolph calls often). This is why everyone on here has called for Santiago to be used out wide some with #5 or #33 in the backfield. Santiago’s body type and ability could be better utilized with this.

I've thought since last year that maybe we would be better off starting out with Brady on that first drive and pound the rock, especially since we tend to run it up the gut on the first play.  Wear them out a little with Brady, and then second drive bring in Santiago.  Plus Brady is more likely to always get positive yardage and move the chains which is what you want on that opening drive.  However I think our opening drives this year have been pretty successful for the most part, but I can't remember each.  

Some of the bonus success in the run game this year is that Santiago has strengthened his lower body quite a bit. Last year he'd go down almost immediately whenever someone got a hand on him. Yes, he could make people miss but the moment contact happened that would be it for the most part. This year, Santiago is breaking tackles and pulling a couple defenders for extra yards similar to how Brady does. I have less of a problem with Santiago up the gut this year as I did last year as he's shown he can pound it a bit more. Against UNC there were a couple runs with both JJ and Brady that you say, "You know, had that been #22 he'd be gone for a td."