SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- Idaho State Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

14 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Anyone see the Vikes game today? How about the Packers game? Talk about a weekend of football to forget. Are their seasons over because get lost to teams they thought they should beat? We need to drop whining about this loss and move on.

Time to fire Zim.  Bench Rogers.  Both suck time to drop to arena football.

6 hours ago, BigGame said:

Facts are facts and this isn't an argument to drop football down to D2, UND and the community doesn't support football or any other sport like it does hockey and that is the truth.  I am not saying it's right or wrong but it is the truth.  I lived it and know exactly how it was in the situation, and we had a strong program at the time I was playing.  Grand Forks is a hockey town first and that isn't a bad thing but you can't expect football recruits to fall all over themselves to play at UND when the school to the south is dominating and is a football town first. It is a minor obstacle for the football program but certainly not something they cannot or will not overcome.  

I don’t agree with your primary argument.

I agree that Grand Forks in general supports hockey more than football, but this is for several reasons rather than the generic arguement that GF likes hockey more than football, it is a hockey town, blah blah blah ...

1) The Ralph Engelstad Arena - nicest venue to watch a game of any kind in all of ND; just happens that hockey is the sport played in there. 

2) Hockey consistently wins, at both high school and college level, in Grand Forks. GF doesn’t expect nor want a UND football program that continually chokes in front of them on Homecoming. They want a winner plus consistency. They get that with UND hockey. UND football needs to win and Bubba can’t consistently do that. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Time to fire Zim.  Bench Rogers.  Both suck time to drop to arena football.

Horrible analogy.

Those NFL issues were exceptions, not the norm. Plus they're playoff teams.  

UND has 1 playoff appearance in 4 full seasons under Bubba and they have a pattern of continual blowing games. What happened on 9/22/18 was similar to what happened in 2015, 2016 playoffs, etc. At some point in time you are what you are and you can’t put lipstick on a pig. 

8 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

off topic a little, bit this was the scene after the game of the student tailgate lot. I am glad more students are coming to the game, but this is embarrassing. 

618722B6-C286-45D2-8F98-4A8E9CDEA9F3.jpeg

Walking back after the game 3 weeks ago it was noticeable where the student area was. Hopefully it changes a bit. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Horrible analogy.

Those NFL issues were exceptions, not the norm. Plus they're playoff teams.  

UND has 1 playoff appearance in 4 full seasons under Bubba and they have a pattern of continual blowing games. What happened on 9/22/18 was similar to what happened in 2015, 2016 playoffs, etc. At some point in time you are what you are and you can’t put lipstick on a pig. 

Great analogy.  Players make plays.  Idaho state did.  UND didn't.  Oh wait its the coaches fault because they were recruited by the coaches.  You have told us many times before. You must be blue in the face.

I'm ready to move onto UNC as well. I'll kind of summarize my feelings since the loss on Saturday. First of all, this isn't a bad football team, they aren't a good football team either, but I think they are closer to that end than the other. There's no "automatic" loss on their schedule, so the season is far from over. The last two weeks have come down to the wire, they made a play week 3, they didn't week 4.

Football is a results driven game and unfortunately for this coaching staff, close isn't good enough. It's year 5, there's no more building, after last year it's either win or hopefully Chaves will find someone who can. Their backs are against the wall, I hope they can respond and start stringing wins together.

2 hours ago, Fry Bread said:

Walking back after the game 3 weeks ago it was noticeable where the student area was. Hopefully it changes a bit. 

I saw on Instagram how big of a party the student section was so I’m not surprised by the mess. It was pretty much a small concert in ge tailgate. I never saw anything like it in my years at UND. Hopefully they let the kids be kids and not ruin it like every other fun activity at UND.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I saw on Instagram how big of a party the student section was so I’m not surprised by the mess. It was pretty much a small concert in ge tailgate. I never saw anything like it in my years at UND. Hopefully they let the kids be kids and not ruin it like every other fun activity at UND.

Maybe the Help Bubba movement will add "cleaning up after students" to the list of uses for funds.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree that Grand Forks in general supports hockey more than football, but this is for several reasons rather than the generic arguement that GF likes hockey more than football, it is a hockey town, blah blah blah ...

1) The Ralph Engelstad Arena - nicest venue to watch a game of any kind in all of ND; just happens that hockey is the sport played in there. 

2) Hockey consistently wins, at both high school and college level, in Grand Forks. GF doesn’t expect nor want a UND football program that continually chokes in front of them on Homecoming. They want a winner plus consistency. They get that with UND hockey. UND football needs to win and Bubba can’t consistently do that. 

Hockey sucked !@#$ last year so don’t start with this hockey comparison. We have been lucky to have been so good this past decade. Are we going to throw them under the bus as well if they have another poor season? Guys this was just one loss. Please wait for the end of the season to talk all this doomsday bs.

3 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Hockey sucked !@#$ last year so don’t start with this hockey comparison. We have been lucky to have been so good this past decade. Are we going to throw them under the bus as well if they have another poor season? Guys this was just one loss. Please wait for the end of the season to talk all this doomsday bs.

Plenty of people will throw them under the bus if they miss the tournament again.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Do agree. Just wish they would be a little neater and not treat a public area like its their apartment. 

Basically kids are the same for every generation. Forty years from now they will have the same complaints about kids that we have now. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Pretty much nailed it here. If Football wins consistently, the fan base grows exponentially and people attend consistently. But, we have not seen this program win consistently since the early to mid 2000s

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Pretty much nailed it here. If Football wins consistently, the fan base grows exponentially and people attend consistently. But, we have not seen this program win consistently since the early to mid 2000s

I've felt like the football fanbase was ready to expand and get real excited about this program since about 2015.  Tailgating is much improved and students seem energized.  However, you can't ratchet up the excitement and then play a game that leaves fans throwing up in their mouths a little time and time again and then wonder why the football team gets no support.  It may be easier to recover our playoff status than the support of new fans.  It's not just the losses, it's the absolute horrible display put on that leaves fans cold.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Need more garbages around and porta potties

Absolutely.  There was probably a 45 minute wait to get in a porta potty.  I'm curious how many people took cover by their vehicles and just pissed in the parking lot.

With that said, I don't expect UND to have a problem with an overcrowded tailgate again this year.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I was at UND before the new Ralph and guess what, even thought the football team was winning football didn't get half the support hockey was getting from the students and the community.  

Hockey wins in GF because it is a hockey first town from youth sports on up.  Your point 2 actually sort proves what I am saying.  

I struggle to understand a lot of the UND fanbase, but this applies to hockey in particular.  Hakstol was a great coach at UND but people wanted him fired immediately after the team would lose in the frozen four.  It is great to want to win all the time but people at times do not have reasonable expectation of the coaches and athletes.  I feel we often demean the other team and players because we don't give them credit but instead place blame on our teams.  It is a competition and sometimes you are going to lose, even the mighty NDSU football program usually drops one game a year and sometimes it is to a team that is supposed to get run off the field.  

The goal should be for UND football to win a national title, but how many years of football happened before UND won it's first title?  The team is in a better place now than it was when Bubba was hired but this team isn't a National Championship team right now.  Unless we see crazy improvement at a handful of position and that type of development doesn't usually happen quickly. 

52 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Sure, everyone follows a winner but some programs get support from fans even when having a down year.  The football team loses a game and now most or all support is going away from the community.  Those people aren't really fans in the first place, it is just a social event to attend.  

6 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Sure, everyone follows a winner but some programs get support from fans even when having a down year.  The football team loses a game and now most or all support is going away from the community.  Those people aren't really fans in the first place, it is just a social event to attend.  

I would argue hockey has become just this since 2001.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I would like to you to answer a question for me.  

Let's pretend UND and NDSU both finished the last five football seasons with 500 records and they go up against each other for a football recruit.  If the athlete views academics, coaching, and facilities as equal.  Other individual factors are always part of the equation but lets pretend those are not in play here.  Who gets the athlete most of the time?

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I would argue hockey has become just this since 2001.

It was that way before 2001 for some as well.  I haven't attended a game in long time because I live across the country but I recall back in the mid to late 90's a certain group of female UND athletes that would dress up and parade around the old ralph.  I doubt they watched a puck drop.  Even they show up for hockey when things aren't going well, but if things are as people claim on this message board people will drop football at the first sign of something they don't like.  

1 minute ago, BigGame said:

It was that way before 2001 for some as well.  I haven't attended a game in long time because I live across the country but I recall back in the mid to late 90's a certain group of female UND athletes that would dress up and parade around the old ralph.  I doubt they watched a puck drop.  Even they show up for hockey when things aren't going well, but if things are as people claim on this message board people will drop football at the first sign of something they don't like.  

That is what 10 years of mediocrity, embarrassing home losses and waiting for the next shoe to drop will get you.

The way I see it, either we come up with the resources to make all of our programs good (and sometimes great), or we don't belong at D-I in the first place.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Plenty of people will throw them under the bus if they miss the tournament again.

One might argue if UND doesn't make the NCAA tourney this season, the Ralph might burn to the ground. The fire Berry crowd will be out in full force. 

• Upvote 1