SiouxSports.com Forum

Idaho State

F'n Hawks

Bubba's teams have not really developed a killer instinct? That could change Saturday.

Idaho State can play us tight. Maybe we just go for the win and start getting used to winning, improving each week. Slowly build a take advantage of every opportunity attitude.

Staying away from injuries would be huge. 

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Time for UND to take the next step and start winning with a sense of dominance. Don’t know about you, but I’m sick of playoff-less seasons.

This ^^^^^

Bubba seems like he is "North Dakota nice" and doesn't want to win by too big of a margin. Doubt you will ever see him do a Steigelmeier, even against a totally outmatched team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, zonadub said:

This ^^^^^

Bubba seems like he is "North Dakota nice" and doesn't want to win by too big of a margin. Doubt you will ever see him do a Steigelmeier, even against a totally outmatched team.

Richmond may have changed that. Been one injury filled season and 3 games since that day.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, zonadub said:

This ^^^^^

I don't know if this is necessarily the case.  I just don't think we've been good enough, consistently good enough anyway to blow many teams out.  I recall being ahead of Cal Poly pretty big a couple of years ago.  I don't think we let off the gas at halftime.  He's not the type that is going to go 4 wide with a 35 point lead in the 4th quarter though, nor do we need to do that.  I recall at Sac St. a couple years ago we were up a fair amount, can't remember the exact amount for sure.  With about 8 minutes in 4th quarter I was thinking, man we need to get our starters out.  Many on the board wanted to keep going for a wider margin victory so it "looked good".  Think Reyes ended up getting hurt in 4th quarter and Studs took a big shot.  When we are good enough to pull key players and the backups continue to run down their throats, that's when blowouts occur.  

7 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Richmond may have changed that. Been one injury filled season and 3 games since that day.

I agree, although I think that was a case of maybe getting a little conservative with having a lead and defense performing well.  I don't think it was a case of him being nice and not wanting to win by a wide margin.  But yeah, I sure hope they learned from that one.....you can't let off the gas!  

2 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Our offense always seems to find a period of time where they can't move the ball which in turn tends to wear out our defense which leads to us not really blowing teams away that often. Let's hope we can change that, no better time to start than this week. 

Defense can help itself out when the offense under performs by forcing a turnover or a 3 and out.  Unfortunately, the defense seems to lose faith in itself on occasion when the offense struggles.

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Defense can help itself out when the offense under performs by forcing a turnover or a 3 and out.  Unfortunately, the defense seems to lose faith in itself on occasion when the offense struggles.

It is exhausting and mentally challenging on a defense.......I lived thru Hedberg as offensive coordinator.  His basic crap worked against average teams, and got stuffed by the good teams.  At Nebraska-Ohama one year we had to chase Martay Jenkins around for 86 plays.  DB's never subbed. (we lost that game, zero offense)  (Jenkins was very fast)

Jenkins  - In 2000, he played in 16 games finishing with an NFL record of 2,186 kickoff return yards. On December 10, Jenkins broke three league records in a 44-10 Cardinals loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, that included the record for kickoff returns in a season, kickoff return yardage in a season and combined kickoff and punt return yardage in a season.[5]

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

It is exhausting and mentally challenging on a defense.......I lived thru Hedberg as offensive coordinator.  His basic crap worked against average teams, and got stuffed by the good teams.  At Nebraska-Ohama one year we had to chase Martay Jenkins around for 86 plays.  DB's never subbed. (we lost that game, zero offense)  (Jenkins was very fast)

Jenkins  - In 2000, he played in 16 games finishing with an NFL record of 2,186 kickoff return yards. On December 10, Jenkins broke three league records in a 44-10 Cardinals loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, that included the record for kickoff returns in a season, kickoff return yardage in a season and combined kickoff and punt return yardage in a season.[5]

This is why run-run-pass-punt is not "ball control offense", it's "ball surrender offense".

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I can understand that.  Just want to make a point that our defense didn't do much to help itself get off the field in the 3rd quarter on Saturday.  They had no excuse to be tired at that time either.

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I can understand that.  Just want to make a point that our defense didn't do much to help itself get off the field in the 3rd quarter on Saturday.  They had no excuse to be tired at that time either.

Yep, the 1st quarter and most of the 1st half was controlled by us, Sam H. had the ball for about 12 minutes.(or 18 for UND)  Which I think provided the rest for the D to shut them down in the 4th.  Is Sam H. would have controlled the 1st half we could have gassed pretty easy.  So a team game, offense and defense, and a good team win at Sam H.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Based on the game notes, it looks like we're pretty much at full strength for Saturday, except for Zeke and Waletzko.

31 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Good to see Jade Lawrence back in the two-deep

Jade Lawrence was in the two-deep last week as well. I've learned not to put a ton of stock in the 2-deep when it comes to injuries, as it really only tells us if someone will be out for a significant amount of time (see Zeke & Waletzko). Mortel was listed as starter at LT on last weeks 2-deep as well, but we all know he wasn't available to play. Good news is anyone you see on the 2-deep even if kept out, it shouldn't be a significant injury.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fry Bread said:

I don’t get it. I’ve been in game day mode since Thursday. Can’t come down from it. All I’ve done for seven days is is try get my hands on any information I can on the team and future opponents. Sioux football and anything related to is all I’ve thought about  

I might need a intervention. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fry Bread said:

I don’t get it. I’ve been in game day mode since Thursday. Can’t come down from it. All I’ve done for seven days is is try get my hands on any information I can on the team and future opponents. Sioux football and anything related to is all I’ve thought about  

I might need a intervention. 

OK anything FRY?

I was driving on campus today about 2:30 and this car turns wrong into a one way, then backs up to my front bumper. You can see the front of my vehicle in the bumper.

IMG_20180919_143310465.jpg

• Upvote 2