SiouxSports.com Forum

Idaho State

F'n Hawks

39 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Looking at stats from their 45-23 loss to Cal, it appears the rushing D isn't bad.  Also, we'll have to watch out for WR Mitch Gueller, who had 6 receptions for 156 yards against Cal (ISU had 179 total passing yards).

Seems they usually have very big and tough defensive linemen. I still have nightmares from two of their beasts from their last visit.

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

https://bigskyfans.com/bengals/

Not real active, but there's a few posters anyway....

One thing about the Big Sky, a lot of the teams don't have many fans.

Really, besides a few select teams that are highly overrated (Montana, Montana State) and the scenic locations, the Big Sky Conference is !@#$. Weber State appears to be the only real contender this season although EWU and Montana got a shot.

Hello and good to see you MIssouri Valley Football Conference.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Last game was a must win for our national reputation. This week is a must win for our local reputation. Not only must we win, but it has to be entertaining and impressive. We need turnovers and big gainers. There will be plenty of potential bandwagon fans this weekend that we can scoop up.

I completely agree. 

UND and Bubba need to show something for the fans. The fans will be expecting a big performance with the hype coming off the Sam Houston State game.

Whether some like it or not, the fact is in college football - with polls and such - style points are actually very important and winning 7 to 3 (although a win) with plenty of beloved punting is just not good.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Really, besides a few select teams that are highly overrated (Montana, Montana State) and the scenic locations, the Big Sky Conference is !@#$. Weber State appears to be the only real contender this season although EWU and Montana got a shot.

Hello and good to see you MIssouri Valley Football Conference.

So your saying the top 3 teams in the conference have a shot.  

15 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I completely agree. 

UND and Bubba need to show something for the fans. The fans will be expecting a big performance with the hype coming off the Sam Houston State game.

Whether some like it or not, the fact is in college football - with polls and such - style points are actually very important and winning 7 to 3 (although a win) with plenty of beloved punting is just not good.

Agree so much! A win is a win for the record's sake, but style point help win fans, and will also help in the room with the playoff committee. Really would like to see a game that is put away early by a confident and efficient team. I'd like to see a heavy does of Teddy Sherva by mid 3rd quarter. Would also be great to see a few QBs get into this game. A little bit a game time for Brock now, could pay big dividends in two years.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We absolutely should beat ISU, but they're no MVSU slouch (who we struggled with).  Those expecting to see Boltman in the 3rd should probably temper their expectations a bit.

Agreed, ISU has lost some close games this year so their record doesn’t reflect their play completely. UND can’t take them lightly. 

What I hope for this weekend:

Offensively

Continue to build, last week they did play well for about 3 and a half quarters, but were completely stuck for the other quarter and a half. 24 points was barely enough last week, but we need to see them continuously get into the low 30s. Any idea how Mortel's injury is? This year the offensive line has actually played pretty well, especially given expectations, but they are very thin with Waletzko out and possibly Mortel again. Is there an "8th" guy who will be able to step in and play reasonably well if there's another injury? At the very least you'd hope to have 8 guys who are ready to contribute. 

Defensively

Do your thing, this is an exciting group to watch. It was really fun watching the secondary taking a huge step last week. 

Special Teams

They need to play sound, a punt blocked cannot happen. They were very lucky that didn't cost them the game. Most importantly though I was excited to see Leach nail his kick. The last two have been short, but it's nice to see him turning the corner. 

Potato Bowl / Homecoming with what will be a big and energized crowd. It's been mentioned, but it's important that they play well. Need the win at home. Idaho State seems to have a quality team this year, but UND is the better team. Hoping for an injury free game, UND to score more points than last week and give us less.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

We absolutely should beat ISU, but they're no MVSU slouch (who we struggled with).  Those expecting to see Boltman in the 3rd should probably temper their expectations a bit.

Right, they’re the second coming of Idaho football. Oh wait, they’re shlt too. 

I expect a win by 21 + or else I’ll be disappointed; close win would be a missed opportunity in front of a big Homecoming crowd. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Right, they’re the second coming of Idaho football. Oh wait, they’re shlt too. 

I expect a win by 21 + or else I’ll be disappointed; close win would be a missed opportunity in front of a big Homecoming crowd. 

Bring the heat on defense and pound the rock, play action to TE’s and Wanzek mixed in with a couple deep shots to Izzy.  

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Time for UND to take the next step and start winning with a sense of dominance. Don’t know about you, but I’m sick of playoff-less seasons.

Yes. This week is so important to not only win, but show that they have truly "arrived" in the FCS playoff conversation. With that to take the second half of your first sentence, start winning with a sense of dominance. This is a game that a true Top 20 team shouldn't have a problem with at home. Is UND at that point? We'll see on Saturday.

• Upvote 1