SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Sam Houston Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

23 minutes ago, Northcountry said:

Fast forward to winter when Friday night's hockey game gets no print until Sunday and Saturday's game gets no print until Tuesday.  If the Herald went to a weekly format they would not be much farther away in the immediacy of their reporting.

And then subscriptions will drop drastically after this new crap service. 

It's print days are probably limited....No monday print as it is.

Soon no Tuesday either.

The downward spiral has started.

4 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

This has been an issue in all three games so far. Practice this week might be a little rough. Tackling 101. Missing some thumpers in the dbackfield and failure to wrap up has really hurt us.

The short RB's were the toughest to tackle like the Bearkat RB.  As a secondary it's hard to get a shot on these types of guys to chop them down so we always just grabbed on and held on up high.  They can't run with a guy hanging around their neck, legs get tangled up in theirs.  It was a little goofy, but effective, the form tackle goes right out the window sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

And then subscriptions will drop drastically after this new crap service. 

It's print days are probably limited....No monday print as it is.

Soon no Tuesday either.

The downward spiral has started.

I do like the idea of a weekly format:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/18-local-news-stories-that-could-only-happen-in-a-small-town

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Deion Harris stood out to me as one of the worst offenders on Saturday.

This is my point, the taller the d-back the more the hang and drag works on short backs.  Deion took a shot and he bounced right off, nothing to hit.  Kelly Howe, 6'5" safety came up with the technique!!

2 hours ago, UND Fan said:

That really sucks - I was aware that the paper was no longer being printed in GF but I had no idea the deadline was 7:00 PM.  That is really bad!  I hope the folks up there are letting the Herald know about your dissatisfaction - even though it won't do any good!

I think if it was the Herald's decision, they would continue to print a Monday Herald and continue to have a standard deadline.  So calling the Herald in Grand Forks, personally I don't think will move the needle.  Heck, they'll probably agree with you.  I would say complaints would have to go much higher than that...to where corporate is.  

Honestly, WDAZ TV continues to be whittled down as well as they now get news/sports etc every weekend from WDAY in Fargo.  Even Friday nights now, they will have some sports package from Fargo.  It's the same company.

I also, wonder if we (meaning business owners etc in GF) are somewhat to blame.  Have we bought enough advertising in the past with the Herald/WDAZ etc.  Maybe, maybe not.  Each business has to determine their own budget and has to find it's own best ways to reach eyeballs and ears etc, that works best for them.   

And the fact of the matter is, people who actually get a copy of the paper of is actually down.  I still do, but my wife almost never reads it.  She goes online.  I've rarely seen my kids grab one, as they too just go online.  They think I'm old and weird for  when I do read an actual paper so that's nothing new.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

The short RB's were the toughest to tackle like the Bearkat RB.  As a secondary it's hard to get a shot on these types of guys to chop them down so we always just grabbed on and held on up high.  They can't run with a guy hanging around their neck, legs get tangled up in theirs.  It was a little goofy, but effective, the form tackle goes right out the window sometimes.

It's more than technique though. There seems to be a lack of aggressiveness. In the Washington game I watched one of our DB's give up on about the 5 yard line even though the Husky receiver had been slowed down by two other UND defenders. Total lack of aggressiveness. I've also seen too many plays so far where one of the DBs has slowed a guy down and there's no 2nd or 3rd guy coming in to finish the play. Maybe it's the whole targeting thing - wanting to avoid a PF and getting tossed? But we're giving up more yards after contact than I'd like to see in the secondary. I trust that the coaches have seen it too and have addressed it, but on the field it's still an issue to improve on.

A few bullets after being in Huntsville - not that I can improve on Ozzie82's fantastic update:

• It was HOT. Seriously hot - and the field had to be 10-15 degrees hotter until the sun went down. The fact that Deion Harris was the only guy I saw that cramped up was huge.
  • I really wish that the Bearkat fan that was standing behind the UND fan section and chirping all game about how "they can't beat us!," or "we're gonna blow this team out!" had stuck around until the end of the game. Shocking, I know, but he was nowhere to be found after Kett hit Izzy for the big gainer. Huh.
  • OL wasn't perfect, but pass protection was pretty good overall. For all the concerns expressed on this board, with good reason, this unit is shaping up and is nowhere near the weak link some were predicting.
  • I had a chance to ask Noah Wanzek about the winning TD. The camera angle on the feed didn't really show how great a catch that was. Kett's throw was more of a zing than a loft and I don't think Wanzek could see the ball in the air. I asked him what % of the ball's flight he saw, and he said all he knew was that it was on the "other side" of the defender. He made the move to get to that side at exactly the right time and had his hands up and ready. Very good on-target throw and an even better catch.
  • Kicking game was better. Kick coverage was better as a result. Still gave up some return yards, but that's a good team we played. Have to give some credit to them, too.
  • Not sure why Santiago fair caught one of the kickoffs - or whose decision it was to do it. As dangerous as he is, I'd only want him to fair catch in special circumstances.
  • As frustrated as some of you watching at home were during the 3rd quarter, the mood in the stadium was probably worse. Nobody was happy, except for maybe Evan Holm's parents. The Hawks looked like the Bearkat TD to open the half took all the wind out of their sails and it felt like this was going to be one of those "shoulda won" games, even though the D was still showing up big.
  • I can't say I have any reason or desire to return to Huntsville. Sorry - that was an unnecessary cheap shot.
  • Speaking of penalties... we still had too many dumb ones. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Fix it or it will cost us a game.

See you all at the Alerus on Saturday!

Edited by LkvlleUNDFan
Better words.
  • Upvote 4

I need to quote LkvlleUNDFan  again.  I was so impressed with both throw and catch.  Most Sammies defenders were in the endzone.  

"I had a chance to ask Noah Wanzek about the winning TD. The camera angle on the feed didn't really show how great a catch that was. Kett's throw was more of a zing than a loft and I don't think Wanzek could see the ball in the air. I asked him what % of the ball's flight he saw, and he said all he knew was that it was on the "other side" of the defender. He made the move to get to that side at exactly the right time and had his hands up and ready. Very good on-target throw and an even better catch. "

Kett started slow in the 3rd qtr.  But he had ice in his veins on that last drive.  Same with Wanzek(not bad for a basketball player)

19 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Sooo...SHSU beats Nicholls State 66-17 in 2017 and loses by 20 this year.  Dare I say that this program-defining win might turn out to be a Trojan horse?

When SHSU barely beat a SWAC team at home the previous week and that SWAC team had a rusher go well over 200 yards, it should have told you they weren't very good,