SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Sam Houston Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

2 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Some quick hitters after returning from Houston....

- Offense looked good in the first half and half of the 4th quarter. Third quarter was tough to watch. Credit to Rudy for 2/3 of the game and the players for executing. It's a step in the right direction.

- Thankfully the defense played great and gave the offense a chance to win it at the end. You train all winter, spring, and summer for the chance to have a game winning drive in the 4th quarter and they did it.

- You train all winter, spring, and summer for the chance to stop a game winning drive in the 4th quarter and they did that, too.

- Nice to see these kind words from the SH head coach: "Their tailback is phenomenal, their quarterback is really good, their offensive line is great, they’re very well coached…and you know that’s kind of where it’s at."

- Most thought we'd need to get some turnovers to win. We didn't and still won.

- Rudy's third down call on the game winning drive, a swing pass to Brady, looked from my angle like it was going to score. It appeared to be a great call that wasn't executed.

- Ket struggles with quick outs; hopefully he relaxes going forward and sets his feet. It appears he's not comfortable throwing it; perhaps he's thrown a pick six with that throw at Sac St. and it spooked him? I'm not sure.

- On the other hand his bomb in the 4th quarter was gorgeous.

- What else can you say about Holm's play yesterday. He was fantastic.

- Kostich is the best recruiter on the staff, the kids relate to him as well as any coach on the team, and he should absolutely not be fired, but he has to get the special teams fixed immediately. I'm not talking about the place kicker; that's not on Kostich, that's more because the kid is a true freshman and D1 is a big step up from HS. I think he'll be fine (there has already been improvement). I am talking about the other facets of the special teams. From my view the player off of the line doubled the SH player coming up the middle with Aplin instead of hitting the guy on the outside which led to the block. As we all know normally the percentages say we should lose that game when you get a punt blocked and we are fortunate the the offense and defense picked up the slack (especially the defense immediately after the block).

- I was at both the Washington game and the SHSU game and there is no comparison between the wide receivers at both schools. I'd take SH's wide outs here at UND in a heart beat, but the Washington WRs are heads and shoulders better than SH's and it's nowhere close in my opinion.

- We were missing Mortel, Waletzko got hurt during the game, and we still gained 187 yards on the ground. Hats off to the OL who look like they are beginning to play as a unit even while rotating players. Maybe last year had something to do with the fact that the line had 4 first year starters? I'll answer that, yes, that's why they struggled last year. Lots to improve on this year but they are headed in the right direction.

- Who would have thought we'd have 76 more total yards of offense than SH? Amazing effort by the defense.

- I was pretty surprised at all of the negative comments on this site following perhaps the biggest win of the D1 era here at UND. I'm glad there is passion but my goodness. Enjoy it for a while, everyone. This was the game that many here said they "had to have," and they did it. The mood at the game was absolute elation and joy, and to come here and see complaining was a real head shaker.

- Beat ISU!!

Thanks for the insight, Ozzie!  Keep 'em coming!!

I certainly agree with your last two bullets!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Some quick hitters after returning from Houston....

- Offense looked good in the first half and half of the 4th quarter. Third quarter was tough to watch. Credit to Rudy for 2/3 of the game and the players for executing. It's a step in the right direction.

- Thankfully the defense played great and gave the offense a chance to win it at the end. You train all winter, spring, and summer for the chance to have a game winning drive in the 4th quarter and they did it.

- You train all winter, spring, and summer for the chance to stop a game winning drive in the 4th quarter and they did that, too.

- Nice to see these kind words from the SH head coach: "Their tailback is phenomenal, their quarterback is really good, their offensive line is great, they’re very well coached…and you know that’s kind of where it’s at."

- Most thought we'd need to get some turnovers to win. We didn't and still won.

- Rudy's third down call on the game winning drive, a swing pass to Brady, looked from my angle like it was going to score. It appeared to be a great call that wasn't executed.

- Ket struggles with quick outs; hopefully he relaxes going forward and sets his feet. It appears he's not comfortable throwing it; perhaps he's thrown a pick six with that throw at Sac St. and it spooked him? I'm not sure.

- On the other hand his bomb in the 4th quarter was gorgeous.

- What else can you say about Holm's play yesterday. He was fantastic.

- Kostich is the best recruiter on the staff, the kids relate to him as well as any coach on the team, and he should absolutely not be fired, but he has to get the special teams fixed immediately. I'm not talking about the place kicker; that's not on Kostich, that's more because the kid is a true freshman and D1 is a big step up from HS. I think he'll be fine (there has already been improvement). I am talking about the other facets of the special teams. From my view the player off of the line doubled the SH player coming up the middle with Aplin instead of hitting the guy on the outside which led to the block. As we all know normally the percentages say we should lose that game when you get a punt blocked and we are fortunate the the offense and defense picked up the slack (especially the defense immediately after the block).

- I was at both the Washington game and the SHSU game and there is no comparison between the wide receivers at both schools. I'd take SH's wide outs here at UND in a heart beat, but the Washington WRs are heads and shoulders better than SH's and it's nowhere close in my opinion.

- We were missing Mortel, Waletzko got hurt during the game, and we still gained 187 yards on the ground. Hats off to the OL who look like they are beginning to play as a unit even while rotating players. Maybe last year had something to do with the fact that the line had 4 first year starters? I'll answer that, yes, that's why they struggled last year. Lots to improve on this year but they are headed in the right direction.

- Who would have thought we'd have 76 more total yards of offense than SH? Amazing effort by the defense.

- I was pretty surprised at all of the negative comments on this site following perhaps the biggest win of the D1 era here at UND. I'm glad there is passion but my goodness. Enjoy it for a while, everyone. This was the game that many here said they "had to have," and they did it. The mood at the game was absolute elation and joy, and to come here and see complaining was a real head shaker.

- Beat ISU!!

Great report, Ozzie.  Thanks for sharing.  Had hoped to be there, also, but it just didn't work out.  Already have my tickets for the Montana game, though!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree - Great Report!  As opposed to the Grand Forks Herald which did not even mention that the UND football team played on Saturday in their Sunday edition and since there is no newspaper available from them on Monday, there will probably never be a printed report on this game.  They did manage to get an article in print on the NDSU win over North Alabama and did manage to print the results of the Concordia, Moorhead, Jamestown, Dickinson, and Minot State games.  Again, there was not ONE MENTION that UND had even played.  It may be time for the Grand Forks (insert sarcasm here) Herald to go to a weekly or biweekly format, it would be just as current in that format and less infuriating. (Rant ends here).  Again, GREAT REPORT OZZIE!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Northcountry said:

I agree - Great Report!  As opposed to the Grand Forks Herald which did not even mention that the UND football team played on Saturday in their Sunday edition and since there is no newspaper available from them on Monday, there will probably never be a printed report on this game.  They did manage to get an article in print on the NDSU win over North Alabama and did manage to print the results of the Concordia, Moorhead, Jamestown, Dickinson, and Minot State games.  Again, there was not ONE MENTION that UND had even played.  It may be time for the Grand Forks (insert sarcasm here) Herald to go to a weekly or biweekly format, it would be just as current in that format and less infuriating. (Rant ends here).  Again, GREAT REPORT OZZIE!

Not sure about the print addition (which because it was a night game, may have missed the deadline), but they had a couple of stories in their on-line addition on Sunday.

5 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Not sure about the print addition (which because it was a night game, may have missed the deadline), but they had a couple of stories in their on-line addition on Sunday.

Yeah, I read those too.  I find it hard to believe they didn't have anything in the print edition that at least gave a synopsis of where the game was at when it went to print.  

• Like 1

The GF Herald is no longer printing it's paper in GF.  Corporate decision.  This isn't a Wayne, Tom or Brad decision at all, but with a now 7pm deadline, every sport now in this region, high school, racing, or UND Hockey, Football, Basketball, Volleyball etc...coverage will never make the next day "paper" edition.  I just read the stories on the web. I will be honest, I don't utilize the print edition like I used to.  I do have some great headlines that I've framed from previous championships won- in the man cave...so that is the one thing that will be a major disappointment in the future, if/when UND wins championships.  A person like me, would go out buy that next day paper and frame it, now it doesn't look like that will be possible.  Other than that, I've just had to get more into the routine of going online to read the stories, which typically are there even before a print edition anyway.

I am just on a rampage because I am too old to change how I do things and I BUY the print newspaper.  Hell, I delivered the print edition door-to-door in all weather when I was a kid back in the Stone Age. I am just very upset because the team I love did not even get a mention that they had played a game the previous day in their hometown paper.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, the green team said:

The GF Herald is no longer printing it's paper in GF.  Corporate decision.  This isn't a Wayne, Tom or Brad decision at all, but with a now 7pm deadline, every sport now in this region, high school, racing, or UND Hockey, Football, Basketball, Volleyball etc...coverage will never make the next day "paper" edition.  I just read the stories on the web. I will be honest, I don't utilize the print edition like I used to.  I do have some great headlines that I've framed from previous championships won- in the man cave...so that is the one thing that will be a major disappointment in the future, if/when UND wins championships.  A person like me, would go out buy that next day paper and frame it, now it doesn't look like that will be possible.  Other than that, I've just had to get more into the routine of going online to read the stories, which typically are there even before a print edition anyway.

That really sucks - I was aware that the paper was no longer being printed in GF but I had no idea the deadline was 7:00 PM.  That is really bad!  I hope the folks up there are letting the Herald know about your dissatisfaction - even though it won't do any good!

9 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Or a paper employing a bunch of lazy turd burgling fans who can’t be bothered with including a 9pm story on a Saturday night.  

This was a big enough win to get something in the paper, like you mention by 9pm. Getting the impression that college partizenship is getting played out here.

59 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Careful Tom Miller and Mike Mc Feely are going to get headaches from all their eye rolling. But it does give them fan smack tweeting content.

Nothing against Miller on this; he had a nice write up on the game.  It’s the putzes assembling the print version of the paper I am irked at. 

2 hours ago, UND Fan said:

That really sucks - I was aware that the paper was no longer being printed in GF but I had no idea the deadline was 7:00 PM.  That is really bad!  I hope the folks up there are letting the Herald know about your dissatisfaction - even though it won't do any good!

Is this so that they don't get another award for printing duringthe next flood?  I love reading the Sunday sports section to read about the college games...

Didn't we have a kicker problem? Is he related to Carlson the Vinkings kicker?

4 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

This has been an issue in all three games so far. Practice this week might be a little rough. Tackling 101. Missing some thumpers in the dbackfield and failure to wrap up has really hurt us.

Deion Harris stood out to me as one of the worst offenders on Saturday.

• Upvote 1