SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Sam Houston Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He would need to miss this year and then have another big injury to have a good case at a medical redshirt unless they made a claim that he redshirted as a fr due to his first knee injury

If a player red shirts with any hint of an injury, shouldn't we be claiming that?  It would be silly not to.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Has Russo played ever? The OL needs to be better. I guess I just have higher expectations.

Sure they need to improve, but so far they have held their own and probably done better than I anticipated this early in the year.  Holding their own against UW and Santiago rushing for 139 yards, and two starters out tonight and we did enough to get the win.  Heard somebody mention maybe some new nagging injuries on the OL, that won't help.  But if we get all 5 starters going I think they can be pretty decent this year.  Some young guys there too, I have hope that we will have the OL we need when we get into the MVFC.  Get healthy.....and keep improving as the year goes and I think we'll be ok. 

Last week, we could not pass, or stop the pass. What a difference a week makes. The team stood up and won with pass D and a nice TD toss in crunch time to get the go ahead score.

Tank's run stop late in the game was huge. The DBs balled. The kicker delivered. Rudy called an aggressive and impressive game. Long passes and underneath crossing routes.  It was humid as heck but that's life in Texas. To put icing on the cake: a trip to Whataburger!  "Today was a good day." Ice Cube

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, The Pod said:

You guys played an outstanding game.  Best of luck the rest of the season, and I look forward to a rematch in the playoffs!   

We will be rooting for you guys, it will only help us.  In reading your fanboard you guys seem to be decent and not cocky.  Your fanbase also wants to fire all of your coaches etc. after a loss, similar to ours haha...well and probably every fan base.  Also like I think I said in another post, you guys get a lot of s**t from other fan bases who's teams haven't done anything.  We get a lot of s**t from NDSU, Montana, and EWU so we can relate.  Would love to meet you in the playoffs, but would prefer it was at our house next time  ;)   Good luck!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

When is the last time you saw UND got for it on fourth and six in the first quarter?!

I think the state of our kicker situation probably had something to do with that.  Man I hope the kicker gets it figured out, there are games we are going to need some 40 yard FG's.

This was good win for UND should get them ready for conference play and I know were independent but were still playing conference schedule. We still have a lot of things that need improvement kicking and offense is still needing to clean things up but I do see improvement each week. Defense looks to be the strength of this team at this time. I just hope the injuries don't keep piling up we need to keep our top players healthy if they are going to have successful season. If this team stays healthy this could be good year for UND. I don't get it why so down on this team and coach it takes time to build a program and what I see is UND is gradually building top tier program. Wins like this are going to help in the future with recruiting and getting fan support for the program. Contrary to thinking this program is closing gap between them and NDSU football program and margin of difference is not as great as people to the south think it is.

6 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

We will be rooting for you guys, it will only help us.  In reading your fanboard you guys seem to be decent and not cocky.  Your fanbase also wants to fire all of your coaches etc. after a loss, similar to ours haha...well and probably every fan base.  Also like I think I said in another post, you guys get a lot of s**t from other fan bases who's teams haven't done anything.  We get a lot of s**t from NDSU, Montana, and EWU so we can relate.  Would love to meet you in the playoffs, but would prefer it was at our house next time  ;)   Good luck!

My thoughts exactly!   Good luck to you guys.  You guys have a hell of a team and you will win a lot of games this season.   I definitely hope we meet again in the playoffs, and if we play at your place even better!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Sure they won won but it still makes me mad. They never seem to get those calls 

You wanna see a iffy call that could have changed the game.

4th Quarter. 14:09 remaining. Santiego fielded the SHSU punt, but Personal Foul #39 for UND. Half distance to the goal.

He literally got called for blocking on the play half a second after the play was over (more like he was penalized for hitting too hard as the other player went flying).

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

You wanna see a iffy call that could have changed the game.

4th Quarter. 14:09 remaining. Santiego fielded the SHSU punt, but Personal Foul #39 for UND. Half distance to the goal.

He literally got called for blocking on the play half a second after the play was over (more like he was penalized for hitting too hard as the other player went flying).

I want to watch the game again. Is there a site that has it? 

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

I am so absolutely proud of Bubba Schweigert and his football team (and belated happy birthday to him as well). 

UND handled the challenge put out in front on them with maturity, confidence, and perseverance. Wow! What a job by everyone involved for UND! 

Enjoy it appropriately, then put in the work and put it out there again for the home fans to enjoy during the Potato Bowl/Homecoming Game on September 22nd against Idaho State. 

Very astute. I agree "Enjoy it appropriately" and let's pack the Al next Saturday.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The Pod said:

You guys played an outstanding game.  Best of luck the rest of the season, and I look forward to a rematch in the playoffs!   

Thanks for coming on our forum and adding value to the conversation.  Great luck to Sammy now go run the table in the Southland.  Hope we meet again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Fella said:

Not bad for a kid who 'runs with his eyes closed' who ever wrote that sould offer an apology

For whatever reason they couldn’t stop him.  When we needed that first down at the end it was all him grinding out those yards.  His run on third down was one of the biggest in school history.  No way he was getting stopped short. 

I really noticed Larson out there last night. He’s already very good. Best part was when he grabbed one of their stud WRs near their sideline and just ripped him to the ground with zero regard for human life. Their players took exception and the wr popped up to get into it with him but he just gave him a quick glance, turned, and walked back to the huddle to get him some more. It was a thing of beauty and the exact mentality that our team needs to have.

• Upvote 4