SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba and his band of coaches

Meat man 01

It is eassier to recruit kids to Fargo North Dakota to win a National Championship, when they have won so many..... compared to recruiting a kid the Grand Forks when Illinois State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota state, maybe closer to home with similar win to loss results. Then you have the  offer percentage  from each school to take into account as well. The high performance center certainly helped because it took much of the weather out of the equation.

57 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

It is eassier to recruit kids to Fargo North Dakota to win a National Championship, when they have won so many..... compared to recruiting a kid the Grand Forks when Illinois State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota state, maybe closer to home with similar win to loss results. Then you have the  offer percentage  from each school to take into account as well. The high performance center certainly helped because it took much of the weather out of the equation.

How did recruiting go in the 90’s when all kids heard was how many titles NDSU won, and how many we won. You find other ways to lure the right kid. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

How did recruiting go in the 90’s when all kids heard was how many titles NDSU won, and how many we won. You find other ways to lure the right kid. 

I don't disagree at all- and I am guessing back then UND was rolling and it was easier to get better recruits... but the wave right now is with the other university (It CAN come back here) and it makes it easier.  Plus, recruiting has changed dramatically from the student athlete side over the past at least 10 years.  How many want tradition and how many want "how much gear do it I get, how nice is it and what brand am I wearing"  " How nice is the locker room, what's in the lounge and meeting rooms (like how many big screens)"  2nd phase of HPC will be a huge impact on that

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If we had an offense that was worth a damn the game would have been interesting. It even still was till midway through the 3rd quarter. I think we just need to step our game up more than anything.

Rudolph can’t really call a game. Proof is in the pudding now. It is unquestionably a factor in these anemic offenses under Bubba.

Even Rudolph can get the job done, though, when Santiago up the middle consistently works. He might get away with it against Sam Houston State, but it certainly wasn’t going to work against Washington.

In partial defense of Rudolph, the receiver talent on UND’s roster is lacking big time. It needs to get better. Makes it hard for one to call occasional aggressive down-the-field routes, but there absolutely needs to be some called per game with Santiago out wide, Izzy Adeoti, Cam McKinney, or even play-action to  tight end Alex Cloyd. Toivonen and Wanzek just don’t scare DBs with speed downfield. 

11 hours ago, Irish said:

To some on this board Bubba is getting more criticism than his total record deserves.  Possibly.  Here's my two cents.  Bubba seems insistent on running a 1980's scheme.  When you do that, you need to be successful because watching this scheme fail is brutal.   He seems strangely and frustratingly inflexible in his outlook - even when he doesn't have the personnel to match and has shown a real reluctance to make in-game adjustments.  He has selected perhaps the only human being who is less introspective as his O coordinator.  Bubba would make a great D coordinator, but it's frustrating to have a Head Coach who seems to use much of his game-time thinking on calculating how far back we could put the other team if we punted from where we have the ball.  This is not to say he hasn't made positive strides with this program - especially the 2016 season (minus the playoff game).  I think we played our butts off at Washington - I just wish Bubba wanted to play to win instead of playing it safe.  That punt call summarizes Bubba in a nutshell - you could make argument that it was technically a correct call, but only if you don't factor in the game situation.  We are playing a PAC - 10 team on the road and are driving and giving them a game of it.  We are playing with house money - for the love of all that's holy, play to win.  To me, it's his inflexibility more than his record.  We need to take the next step real soon.  Perhaps at Sam Houston.  We all want him to succeed (and loosen up a bit).  

Amen

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Philadelphia in the Super Bowl when no one expects you to win since your backup QB is playing Tom Brady and the Patriots:  4th and 1...let's go with the "Philly Special."

North Dakota at Washington when no one expects you to win since the Huskies are a highly-ranked FBS team:  4th and 1...let's punt.  

Damn truth right here

Think Rudolph will be drawing up a play like that anytime soon to excite the boys? Hell no

2 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

What about taking advantage of our height with our receivers? Some of must be going against defensive backs that are 1/2 foot shorter. 

Exactly. The back shoulder throw was so successful in 2016 and we haven't really seen it much since then. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Irish said:

To some on this board Bubba is getting more criticism than his total record deserves.  Possibly.  Here's my two cents.  Bubba seems insistent on running a 1980's scheme.  When you do that, you need to be successful because watching this scheme fail is brutal.   He seems strangely and frustratingly inflexible in his outlook - even when he doesn't have the personnel to match and has shown a real reluctance to make in-game adjustments.  He has selected perhaps the only human being who is less introspective as his O coordinator.  Bubba would make a great D coordinator, but it's frustrating to have a Head Coach who seems to use much of his game-time thinking on calculating how far back we could put the other team if we punted from where we have the ball.  This is not to say he hasn't made positive strides with this program - especially the 2016 season (minus the playoff game).  I think we played our butts off at Washington - I just wish Bubba wanted to play to win instead of playing it safe.  That punt call summarizes Bubba in a nutshell - you could make argument that it was technically a correct call, but only if you don't factor in the game situation.  We are playing a PAC - 10 team on the road and are driving and giving them a game of it.  We are playing with house money - for the love of all that's holy, play to win.  To me, it's his inflexibility more than his record.  We need to take the next step real soon.  Perhaps at Sam Houston.  We all want him to succeed (and loosen up a bit).  

Spot on!  

Bubba is the biggest cheerleader for not only the football program but for UND.  But like you said...his inflexibility is frustrating.  His loyalty is also frustrating 

Year one:  new coach new system plus a massive roster overhaul. For the most part things went as planned with any new coached team. 

Year two:  as far as I’m concerned this has been bubbas best team.  Rudy ball was very green.  Opposing DCs and fans alike are somewhat unaware of the simplicity, non adjustments, use of personal that will become Rudy ball. But this year it works well with a very talented true freshman RB and RT.  Plus Taj and Will at ILB and a healthy Cole lead the D. Run D was fantastic.  Quite certain if they made the playoffs they would of won a game or two.  

Year three:   Opposing DCs and fans have figured out Rudy ball. The offense was hit or miss depending on the quality of the opposing team. Good/decent defenses (wasnt many) didn't allow und to do much. The D was hit or miss as well. Improved secondary play. As usual run D was good /great.   Und relied heavily on opportunistic moments this year.  Weak/ weaker schedule.  Felt great to be in the playoffs!  

year four:  everyone on the planet is well aware of Rudy ball!  Injuries! Defense was decimated yet made no adjustments.  The signs of inflexibility and non adjustments are magnified across every level.  

Year five: Rudy is somehow still here !?!?!  D looks to be back after a one year hiatus. ST are extremely young and ineffective.  Conservative calls have always been there but are magnified.  Many games left.  Toughest schedule of bubba era 

I’m not looking for bubba to be given his walking papers he just needs to show the fans that he’s willing and able to believe in his kids and attempt things that are out of his conservative stubborn ways.  Be flexible to a certain extent. Take chances to go for the win and not just keep it “close”.  The young men will cling to that with confidence.   And hire a new OC !!! 

• Like 1

It would appear that the 360 guys aren't down on coach Paul Rudolph

It appeared that Santiago was let loose from the backfield on circle & option routes on the linebacker a couple times. Total mismatch. We’ve called for this since last season. Kudos, once again, to OC Paul Rudolph on using his assets appropriately. The wrinkles and evolution offensively are apparent through two weeks.

I almost fell out of my chair when I read “Kudos, once again, to OC Paul Rudolph on using his assets appropriately. The wrinkles and evolution offensively are apparent....”

That is laughable. 

Bubba’s loyalty is apparently going to be the demise of him, this staff, and the team. We were playing a top 10 team in the ENTIRE country and we did not take ONE shot. Not one. No trick plays - nothing. Are you kidding me? We were in a “David vs Goliath” type game and we didn’t even attempt to throw the ball down field. 

Bubba’s decision to punt at midfield on the 4th and 1 play was completely gutless. We were moving the ball well that drive and at that point it is only 10-0. I would LOVE to hear what the conversation was during the timeout. What do you have to lose????????? How do you not have 5 plays ready to go in that situation? Gutless. The next time we are in that situation they finally did decide to go for it but they decide to leave OUR BEST PLAYER on the sideline. I’m sorry, but John would have gotten that 1st down. He literally is a top 5 offensive threat in the whole (FCS) country, and we think its a good time to have him on the sideline. 

How many playactions did we run? How about taking a shot after a turnover? Maybe mix in a play action on 1st down!!!! Every team stacks the box and flies to #22. Luckily he is that freakin unbelievable he can make things out of nothing. We need to be able to show the threat of throwing it deep. We NEED to mix in play action early. No one is going to be scared of getting beat deep by our 6’4 wideouts. We need to find ways to loosen up opposing defenses.

Rudy’s idea of being creative is figuring out how many different looks we can run freakin pitch stretch out of. 

I love Bubba as a person, love his passion, but some real change needs to take place. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goon said:

It would appear that the 360 guys aren't down on coach Paul Rudolph

•  

There’s fair criticism of the offense and implicitly of Rudolph as well from the 360 guys. 

• UND was 3-18 on third down.  Woof.
  • we NEED more back-shoulder fades to our 6’4″ WR’s.  I mean we need them, bad.  It’s such a demoralizing route for the corner when it works and it moves the chains.  Also, UND needed to threaten down the field a few times in the passing game. Have to take a few shots to loosen up the defense.
  • Running back screen game has to get better. No excuses. UND tried a couple times unsuccessfully – even though we do think QB Nate Ketteringham gave up early on a RB screen that was setup nicely.

1 hour ago, FightingHawkSioux said:

I almost fell out of my chair when I read “Kudos, once again, to OC Paul Rudolph on using his assets appropriately. The wrinkles and evolution offensively are apparent....”

That is laughable. 

Bubba’s loyalty is apparently going to be the demise of him, this staff, and the team. We were playing a top 10 team in the ENTIRE country and we did not take ONE shot. Not one. No trick plays - nothing. Are you kidding me? We were in a “David vs Goliath” type game and we didn’t even attempt to throw the ball down field. 

Bubba’s decision to punt at midfield on the 4th and 1 play was completely gutless. We were moving the ball well that drive and at that point it is only 10-0. I would LOVE to hear what the conversation was during the timeout. What do you have to lose????????? How do you not have 5 plays ready to go in that situation? Gutless. The next time we are in that situation they finally did decide to go for it but they decide to leave OUR BEST PLAYER on the sideline. I’m sorry, but John would have gotten that 1st down. He literally is a top 5 offensive threat in the whole (FCS) country, and we think its a good time to have him on the sideline. 

How many playactions did we run? How about taking a shot after a turnover? Maybe mix in a play action on 1st down!!!! Every team stacks the box and flies to #22. Luckily he is that freakin unbelievable he can make things out of nothing. We need to be able to show the threat of throwing it deep. We NEED to mix in play action early. No one is going to be scared of getting beat deep by our 6’4 wideouts. We need to find ways to loosen up opposing defenses.

Rudy’s idea of being creative is figuring out how many different looks we can run freakin pitch stretch out of. 

I love Bubba as a person, love his passion, but some real change needs to take place. 

Agree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FightingHawkSioux said:

That is laughable. 

I can understand the angst with the game plan on Saturday.  it was ultra-safe and vanilla.  That being said, he has implemented many new ways to get #22 the ball which shows he is trying to evolve as an OC.  The offense is what it is.  The next step is to involve the speed guys around the end and so forth.

Let's watch Saturday and see how the offense looks against an upper-tier FCS team on the road.  Then reconvene Saturday night.  Deal?

I heard that Rudy has been constructing the ultimate slow play over the years.  He has game upon game of vanilla, run up the middle plays on film.  He has been in talks with the "Chuck the Pigskin" guy about becoming a special consultant to the staff to train them on different usage of the players.  Rudy plans on opening up the playbook in a future game to completely take a team off guard and win big and create excitement for the fan-base.  Early indicators suggest he is waiting for the next NDSU vs UND game.  Stay tuned...

2 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I heard that Rudy has been constructing the ultimate slow play over the years.  He has game upon game of vanilla, run up the middle plays on film.  He has been in talks with the "Chuck the Pigskin" guy about becoming a special consultant to the staff to train them on different usage of the players.  Rudy plans on opening up the playbook in a future game to completely take a team off guard and win big and create excitement for the fan-base.  Early indicators suggest he is waiting for the next NDSU vs UND game.  Stay tuned...

If he waits that long he will be gone before that. I want to beat NDSU as much as the next guy but UND is going to have to beat lesser teams before they are even close to beating SU. If he cant show that he can change things up this year he better be gone next year.....

• Upvote 1

I don't think Bubba or Rudolf were going to show any trick plays or new plays against a team that they had very little chance of beating.  Play UW tight, keep it close with limited injuries.  I would expect against SH this week we may see some new wrinkles as this game carries a lot of weight in post season positioning.

1 hour ago, HAWKS1 said:

I don't think Bubba or Rudolf were going to show any trick plays or new plays against a team that they had very little chance of beating.  Play UW tight, keep it close with limited injuries.  I would expect against SH this week we may see some new wrinkles as this game carries a lot of weight in post season positioning.

Beating Washington or playing them close also would carry a lot of weight in the polls. And before you say “UND had no chance to win”, who would’ve thought the score would be 17-3 in the 3rd quarter? Very few if anyone on this website. And it easily could’ve been closer. 

YOU HAVE TO PLAY TO WIN EVERY GAME! The lack of aggression and portrayed confidence by Bubba was and is concerning. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2