SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba and his band of coaches

Meat man 01

WOW.... I have always said it would take 4 years minimum.... need to see some results now. As for recruiting, the STAFF work their rears off but the $$$ and offers are determined by the head coach.... so lots of praise and guilt there....

culture is easy to destroy and hard to get back... hats off to Bubba for changing that. That in itself is an accomplishment. Hopefully this will facilitate more positive changes.....

I guess my problem with the Bubba bashing is that the team was progressing every year up until last season. Last season was tough for some very good reasons.  This year starts and we don't pound Jerry Rice U by enough points and get beat by a very good FBS team and people are already freaking out.  

I don't know for certain, but I would bet Bubba doesn't want to run a spread fast paced offense with his defense because he lived that situation before as the DC at SIU.  Lennon is a defensive coach but when he left UND his offense struggled, he brought in a spread offense and had talent but still lost his job because that offense put the defense in tough spots time after time.  They still only had only moderate success but scored more points and gave up more points.  I guess it would be more exciting to watch but in the end it is a tough balance to find.

Most of the problems I have seen so far this season are correctable, which wasn't the case last year.  It makes sense that many don't have faith that changes will be made to fix the issues but I will hold off on judgement for at least a few more games.  One major weakness (the offensive line) looks to be much improved and that can go a long way in making the entire offense a lot better.  

• Upvote 4

One major question I have is can our style of play be effective against talented teams?  We put our CBs on islands and our OL against a stacked box every game.  With the rule changes of the last 20 years, DBs are no longer able to bump and clutch receivers as much as they used to.  Can we really expect our DBs to cover talented teams under modern FB rules?  Have we gone too far to the "just run and stop the run side" after being terrible at both under Muss?

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

One major question I have is can our style of play be effective against talented teams?  We put our CBs on islands and our OL against a stacked box every game.  With the rule changes of the last 20 years, DBs are no longer able to bump and clutch receivers as much as they used to.  Can we really expect our DBs to cover talented teams under modern FB rules?  Have we gone to far to the just run and stop the run side after being terrible at both under Muss?

17 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I guess my problem with the Bubba bashing is that the team was progressing every year up until last season. Last season was tough for some very good reasons.  This year starts and we don't pound Jerry Rice U by enough points and get beat by a very good FBS team and people are already freaking out.  

I don't know for certain, but I would bet Bubba doesn't want to run a spread fast paced offense with his defense because he lived that situation before as the DC at SIU.  Lennon is a defensive coach but when he left UND his offense struggled, he brought in a spread offense and had talent but still lost his job because that offense put the defense in tough spots time after time.  They still only had only moderate success but scored more points and gave up more points.  I guess it would be more exciting to watch but in the end it is a tough balance to find.

Most of the problems I have seen so far this season are correctable, which wasn't the case last year.  It makes sense that many don't have faith that changes will be made to fix the issues but I will hold off on judgement for at least a few more games.  One major weakness looks to be much improved and that can go a long way in making the entire offense a lot better.  

As so many on here have said, this week @ Sam Houston will tell a lot about where Bubba has the program.  Bubba's plan is pretty simple, run and pass the ball to control the clock, stop the run and bring pressure to stop the pass on defense and play good special teams to control field position.  After 2 games, my biggest question to Bubba and staff would be on field goals and kickoffs.

I think the defense(anyone heard anything on Blubaugh, Tank and Larson status?) will do well overall @ Sammy and the offense will move the ball enough to score 4 TD's.  We need to be able to make EVERY field goal inside 45 yards and be able to kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

WOW.... I have always said it would take 4 years minimum.... need to see some results now. As for recruiting, the STAFF work their rears off but the $$$ and offers are determined by the head coach.... so lots of praise and guilt there....

culture is easy to destroy and hard to get back... hats off to Bubba for changing that. That in itself is an accomplishment. Hopefully this will facilitate more positive changes.....

Well, since YOU say it takes 4 years minimum, then that must be the gold standard, eh?  

What does it tell the kids on the team that you took over when you say, 'hey, I didn't recruit you and didn't necessarily want you on my team...so give me 3-4 years to replace you with better players and then we'll be ok.  For now, give me your best shot.  Thanks, guys, now let's go have a good practice.'?

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, since YOU say it takes 4 years minimum, then that must be the gold standard, eh?  

What does it tell the kids on the team that you took over when you say, 'hey, I didn't recruit you and didn't necessarily want you on my team...so give me 3-4 years to replace you with better players and then we'll be ok.  For now, give me your best shot.  Thanks, guys, now let's go have a good practice.'?

That pretty much is the gold standard in the football world, yes.  Unless its a complete debacle then a guy gets canned after three.  

25 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

As so many on here have said, this week @ Sam Houston will tell a lot about where Bubba has the program.  Bubba's plan is pretty simple, run and pass the ball to control the clock, stop the run and bring pressure to stop the pass on defense and play good special teams to control field position.  After 2 games, my biggest question to Bubba and staff would be on field goals and kickoffs.

I think the defense(anyone heard anything on Blubaugh, Tank and Larson status?) will do well overall @ Sammy and the offense will move the ball enough to score 4 TD's.  We need to be able to make EVERY field goal inside 45 yards and be able to kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs.

I would like to see more shots down field even though I am not certain we have a WR that can scare the defense with speed but the big WR should be able to win some jump balls.  Normally a ball control run offense needs to take a few shots to take advantage of a defense pressing the line to much or at least keep them honest and have to attend to the passing game.  Against Washington UND threw the ball plenty but everything was short,  it was at least partially because of talent differences but the offense needs to be able threaten the defense.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I would like to see more shots down field even though I am not certain we have a WR that can scare the defense with speed but the big WR should be able to win some jump balls.  Normally a ball control run offense needs to take a few shots to take advantage of a defense pressing the line to much or at least keep them honest and have to attend to the passing game.  Against Washington UND threw the ball plenty but everything was short,  it was at least partially because of talent differences but the offense needs to be able threaten the defense.  

We have speed but it’s standing on the sidelines. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Some of the short throwing might have been because Washington's D backs are the best we will face. When was the last time we saw Santiago get caught from behind? That was a D back.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

2 Questions:  1)  What was our payment for playing this game?    2) Can we schedule the lower rated teams in the P5 conferences and still get a good payment?

We really have no business (other than the pay check) for playing the best FBS teams.

$500,000

43 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Some of the short throwing might have been because Washington's D backs are the best we will face. When was the last time we saw Santiago get caught from behind? That was a D back.

Washington is an NFL DB factory. Recently they’ve always had as good a secondary as anyone. The guy that caught Santiago will probably be a first rounder.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

2 Questions:  1)  What was our payment for playing this game?    2) Can we schedule the lower rated teams in the P5 conferences and still get a good payment?

We really have no business (other than the pay check) for playing the best FBS teams.

I think you can argue playing a team with that type of speed and talent will really help prepare the team for anything the FCS level can throw at them.  I short I do think is helps make the team better for the upcoming schedule.  

5 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

If we had an offense that was worth a damn the game would have been interesting. It even still was till midway through the 3rd quarter. I think we just need to step our game up more than anything.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I read it was $550,000. 

Edit: G5 teams will pay around 350,000, give or take. To get numbers like above, you need to play P5 teams.

29 minutes ago, Irish said:

To some on this board Bubba is getting more criticism than his total record deserves.  Possibly.  Here's my two cents.  Bubba seems insistent on running a 1980's scheme.  When you do that, you need to be successful because watching this scheme fail is brutal.   He seems strangely and frustratingly inflexible in his outlook - even when he doesn't have the personnel to match and has shown a real reluctance to make in-game adjustments.  He has selected perhaps the only human being who is less introspective as his O coordinator.  Bubba would make a great D coordinator, but it's frustrating to have a Head Coach who seems to use much of his game-time thinking on calculating how far back we could put the other team if we punted from where we have the ball.  This is not to say he hasn't made positive strides with this program - especially the 2016 season (minus the playoff game).  I think we played our butts off at Washington - I just wish Bubba wanted to play to win instead of playing it safe.  That punt call summarizes Bubba in a nutshell - you could make argument that it was technically a correct call, but only if you don't factor in the game situation.  We are playing a PAC - 10 team on the road and are driving and giving them a game of it.  We are playing with house money - for the love of all that's holy, play to win.  To me, it's his inflexibility more than his record.  We need to take the next step real soon.  Perhaps at Sam Houston.  We all want him to succeed (and loosen up a bit).  

Post of the season thus far, thank you for articulating this far better than I could have.  I too was infuriated by the mid-field punt down 10-0.  What kind of a message does that send to your team?  It boggles the mind.  

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Post of the season thus far, thank you for articulating this far better than I could have.  I too was infuriated by the mid-field punt down 10-0.  What kind of a message does that send to your team?  It boggles the mind.  

Bubba needs to sack up and show his guys he believes in them. Players eat that !@#$ up.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

While I agree, personally I’m past the point of being infuriated with this coaching staffs’ offensive strategy, so I just chuckle and shake my head.  Go through way fewer beers per game this way. 

• Upvote 1