SiouxSports.com Forum

Special Teams Issues

F'n Hawks

Do we recruit a new kicker?  I mean we can't go the next three years with a shaky kicker who struggles on extra points and can't be counted on.  Not to be mean to the kid but he is the poorest kicker we've had since I started following the team in 1990.   He just doesn't seem to have it. Other freshman kickers were pretty good right out of the gate.  

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We need to recruit another kicker. I watched Leach warm up for the second half and he has terrible body language and struggled with 35 yard FGs. He had a few that looked good but you can tell he’s lacking confidence. Also, his inability to kickoff deep and with hangtime kills our coverage. 

You beat me to it.  

I'll have to check the replay, but if I recall correctly it wasn't like it was barely blocked or something....the guy was all over him.....just like the one that Sam Houston blocked.  That's two so far for the year....and we are halfway in.  

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I'll have to check the replay, but if I recall correctly it wasn't like it was barely blocked or something....the guy was all over him.....just like the one that Sam Houston blocked.  That's two so far for the year....and we are halfway in.  

That’s the way I saw it. The blocker almost had to wait for the punt to block it

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

it looked like all the ohter ones...free runner and easy block

5 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Great win today but special teams could still be an issue in the future. Our kickoff coverage did force a fumble but because our kicker gets it to about the 10 yard line opposing teams start around the 30-35 yard line. 

Another punt was blocked today. This has been an issue in recent years as well and is unacceptable. 

One would think that at some point this year a critical field goal will be needed and that fact scares the heck out of me.

This has gone on forever - but you know Bubba - no changes forever.  

10 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

That’s the way I saw it. The blocker almost had to wait for the punt to block it

Need a couple of good fakes to soften up the punt block from other teams. It also looked like the three hogs in front of the punter did a terrible job of slowing them down on the block.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Need a couple of good fakes to soften up the punt block from other teams. It also looked like the three hogs in front of the punter did a terrible job of slowing them down on the block.

A couple good fakes??   You shouldn't have to force a couple of fake punts just because you can't do standard punt protection.  Do what other teams do.....and figure out how to fricking get the punt away without it getting blocked twice in 6 games. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

A couple good fakes??   You shouldn't have to force a couple of fake punts just because you can't do standard punt protection.  Do what other teams do.....and figure out how to fricking get the punt away without it getting blocked twice in 6 games. 

Our punter can run. I want to see the fake.

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

all these excuses...need quicker snap...try a couple fakes...try a different formation???? wtf how about a new special teams coach?

• Upvote 2