SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Washington Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

6 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I would like to see Zimmerman get some snaps if the passing game is stagnant next week.

I agree. Ketteringham seems to have all the physical skills, but the verdict is out on his leadership abilities. Last year, when Zimmerman came into the Montana game, you could feel the change.  It seems like Zimmerman has the “it” factor.  I would continue with Ketteringham but if the offense doesn’t start clicking, I would consider Zimmerman.  Can’t place all the blame on wr’s.  In 1st game, Ketteringham  held the ball for less than 3 seconds when  he let it fly,  catching Wanzek 45 yards downfield from line of scrimmage. Doesn’t seem like a slow wr to me. He has made a number of catches the last two years on fade routes or back shoulder throws. If you want him to make a play you got to throw him the ball.  You have to give these big guys a chance to make a play on those 50-50 balls!  Throw them open!

And yes I did play high school and college football!  :) 

Sent from my iPhone
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

First off a huge tip of the cap to Steve Greer. He played his ass off yesterday and was disruptive all game. I’ve !@#$ on him in the past for not putting on enough weight and for being barely just a warm body even though I had expectations for him coming out of hs. He earned my respect yesterday and I hope he keeps it up all season.

The front seven was for real yesterday. Would have liked to see more than just pressure though. We need to actually get home and lay the wood on the qb. 

The secondary was outclassed for most of the game. Harris moves better this week but still seems to be a liability. Blubaugh looks much improved from last year and has some dog in him, hopefully he can start to find the ball in the air now as he still struggles down field.

Overall, the d outperformed expectations for three quarters then ran out of gas thanks to the hapless offense.

It appears the o will only succeed when playing inferior competition. Toivonen is a D2 wr, I’m sure he works hard and is a good kid but he’s too damn slow. It’s inexcusable to not throw some speed in their. We needed one of the little guys in the slot to be a reliable outlet. The lack of aggression on offense yesterday was pathetic. We need to always be in attack mode on both sides of the ball. 

The kicking situation is alarming to say the least. It’d be one thing if he was blasting the ball and just missing but the ball does not jump off his foot. It’s ugly and laborious. Kicking is like golf, a proper swing is fast and effortless and the ball should explode on impact. I am very concerned about this and agree with UNDbiz that it will most likely cost us a game or two which could mean watching the playoffs from home again. This is unacceptable. Gotta have a competent backup at all positions.

If the offense shows up next week we should be able to win.

Couldn't agree more as to Greer's play against UW and MVSU.  The more reps he gets the better he plays.  He held his own and then some on double teams all day yesterday against some of the best offensive lineman in the Country.  Clearly the strongest and toughest guy we have at the NG position.  Glad he is finally getting the reps to show what he can do.  

5 minutes ago, ep92501 said:

Couldn't agree more as to Greer's play against UW and MVSU.  The more reps he gets the better he plays.  He held his own and then some on double teams all day yesterday against some of the best offensive lineman in the Country.  Clearly the strongest and toughest guy we have at the NG position.  Glad he is finally getting the reps to show what he can do.  

To be fair he had been less than effective when he got reps for his entire career up to this point. I’m happy things are working for him now but let’s call a spade a spade and not make it seem like he wasn’t given ample opportunities to shine before this year. That said, happy for him.

20 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He’s tall. That’s a plus. He runs decent routes. He drops easy balls every game. He’s the slowest non OL on the offense and struggles to separate from any competent DB. I have higher expectations than that.

Guessing they like him just because he's a good blocking WR. I can see Bubba or Rudy playing him for that reason alone.

7 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

Something not mentioned enough was that UND took 0 penalties! Last year was a penalty fest in a lot of games. Plus the tackling was really good against a skilled team like that. There were many one-on-one situations where guys made the tackle to save a huge gain. 

I didn't realize that. Zero penalties is hard to pull off!

28 minutes ago, Fry Bread said:

I know everyone wanted a win or at least a tighter game but the school put over $500,000 in the bank and the West Coast found out the boys from the Midwest aren’t afraid to mix it up with a bigger foe. 

I will take a blowout against a highly ranked team like a Washington or even a Utah against a g5 team like Idaho and Fresno St who blew us out. Beating SHSU is more important than sticking with Washington. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I will take a blowout against a highly ranked team like a Washington or even a Utah against a g5 team like Idaho and Fresno St who blew us out. Beating SHSU is more important than sticking with Washington. 

2009 - Texas Tech 38-13 L

2010 - Idaho 45-0 L

2010 - NIU 23-17 L

2011 - Fresno St. 27-22 L

2012 - San Diego St 49-41 L

2014 - San Jose St 42-10 L - Bubba Year 1

2015 - Wyoming 24-13 W

2016 - Bowling Green 27-26 L

2017 - Utah 37-16 L

2018 - Washington 45-3 L

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

2009 - Texas Tech 38-13 L

2010 - Idaho 45-0 L

2010 - NIU 23-17 L

2011 - Fresno St. 27-22 L

2012 - San Diego St 49-41 L

2014 - San Jose St 42-10 L - Bubba Year 1

2015 - Wyoming 24-13 W

2016 - Bowling Green 27-26 L

2017 - Utah 37-16 L

2018 - Washington 45-3 L

My bad, I meant SJSU

Ketteringham will do just fine going into the rest of the season. You guys need to realize we were playing against NFL caliber secondaries so how do you expect our homegrown WR’s to get open? We have some talented WR but none that I think at this point could play on Sundays. Do you really expect our wr to be open every play so of course Ketteringham would be under pressure. We will have a better advantage when we start playing our FCS schedule. No worries from this camp. Can’t wait until Saturday!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Ketteringham will do just fine going into the rest of the season. You guys need to realize we were playing against NFL caliber secondaries so how do you expect our homegrown WR’s to get open? We have some talented WR but none that I think at this point could play on Sundays. Do you really expect our wr to be open every play so of course Ketteringham would be under pressure. We will have a better advantage when we start playing our FCS schedule. No worries from this camp. Can’t wait until Saturday!

B203D8E7-2417-4950-9BF4-4772E2CAE819.thumb.jpeg.92e3e60cb48e18d3de0f8133888c082c.jpegOK, I know I’m biased, but I’m getting a little tired of all the blame on WR’s. Here’s an example of our wide receiver open in the Seattle Times. If the quarterback would’ve put some air under the ball or thrown it a split-second sooner we would’ve had a TD. The score would’ve been 17 to 7 late in the third. 

1 hour ago, The Fan said:

B203D8E7-2417-4950-9BF4-4772E2CAE819.thumb.jpeg.92e3e60cb48e18d3de0f8133888c082c.jpegOK, I know I’m biased, but I’m getting a little tired of all the blame on WR’s. Here’s an example of our wide receiver open in the Seattle Times. If the quarterback would’ve put some air under the ball or thrown it a split-second sooner we would’ve had a TD. The score would’ve been 17 to 7 late in the third. 

I’m not blaming the receivers at all. It’s not meant to be a dig against our corps just because I’m pointing out their secondary is much more elite. Good secondary’s are tough for the WR to get open and for the quarterback to fit the ball in tighter windows. The more our QB and receivers he’ll the better they will be. Noah and Studs had awesome chemistry last year and it will only get better for Ket.