SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Washington Game Day Thread

SiouxFan100

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

My observations.

UW was not as good as advertised. They do not look like a top-10 team in the country. Their run blocking got exposed two weeks in a row. I feel if we had any sort of passing game, we take them down to the wire. If we have a secondary that can actually cover, we win this game. We missed a chance to steal a FBS win. This game was closer than the final score indicated.

I have more hope for our secondary after this game, compared to last week.  A few times guys were open, yes.  Many of the pass plays were perfect dimes or back shoulder throws that are nearly impossible to defend but our guys were right there.   That corner TD catch towards the end, Harris was right there, was just a perfect adjustment by WR to come back and get that. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

My observations.

UW was not as good as advertised. They do not look like a top-10 team in the country. Their run blocking got exposed two weeks in a row. I feel if we had any sort of passing game, we take them down to the wire. If we have a secondary that can actually cover, we win this game. We missed a chance to steal a FBS win. This game was closer than the final score indicated.

Yes, there was a HUGE opportunity there today (despite what some novices say).

Needed to have 1) an aggressive mindset going into the game and 2) a competent passing game. UND did not have those two things; thus, they got blown out.

The defense looked quite good though, which is obviously a positive.

• Upvote 1

I don't catch many UND football games these days, but the few I've watched in the Bubba era, the offense is schemed about as well as any rural high school football team.  It's so predictable.

With that said, I think UND played much better than the score indicated, or Washington just didn't play well at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

Brady is nursing a knee from last week. It was smart not to give him more carries in a game like this.

Ok, I can totally understand that then.  I was hoping there was a legit reason, makes sense.  Would have been demoralizing for him I would think not to play more if he was healthy.  Thanks for the info. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes, there was a HUGE opportunity there today (despite what some novices say).

Needed to have 1) an aggressive mindset going into the game and 2) a competent passing game. UND did not have those two things; thus, they got blown out.

The defense looked quite good though, which is obviously a positive.

Really? We missed a huge opportunity? Reality check needed.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I have more hope for our secondary after this game, compared to last week.  A few times guys were open, yes.  Many of the pass plays were perfect dimes or back shoulder throws that are nearly impossible to defend but our guys were right there.   That corner TD catch towards the end, Harris was right there, was just a perfect adjustment by WR to come back and get that. 

I don't like to call kids out by name unless I'm saying something positive, but our secondary is still a liability. Many said once injured guys returned, things would be different on the back end. I don't see much difference than last year after two games. UW could not effectively run on us, but they discovered they could attack us outside the numbers. and that was the difference in game. Its a long season and there is time to improve so we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Overall, we competed well for 3 quarters.

funny, go to the Washington fan forums and they are in complete melt down right now.  puts things in perspective 

I was one of the biggest skeptics going into this game and I got to say I was quite impressed. We kept their number one offense in the game through 4 quarters. That’s pretty impressive that we were that successful against a top FBS team. Granted our offense couldn’t move the ball but our defense did a great job not allowing many points before the half. Take away some of our costly mistakes and the game would have been even closer longer. I hope injuries didn’t hurt us because next weekend is critical to our season and reputation.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

excuse me for my "pretty high standards"

Participation awards for all!

You seriously didn’t think we were going to win did you? Whether we lost by 14 or 40 we still played a decent game against a top FBS team. Yeah I wish we would have kept it close but nothing by positive things coming out of this game. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You seriously didn’t think we were going to win did you? Whether we lost by 14 or 40 we still played a decent game against a top FBS team. Yeah I wish we would have kept it close but nothing by positive things coming out of this game. 

He has higher standards than the rest of us. 

I think this is a great game to head into SH next week.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My point is most UND followers will only take something from this matchup if UND wins ... us folks understand the magnitude of the matchup 

most though will see 17-0 and say “oh looks like UND football is getting their ass kicked again ... let’s get hockey tickets.”

What a stupid comment. Go to bed Nancy.

11 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Deion seemed to be more improved and a little less rusty. Still got beat a couple of times though

There are two trains of thought when calling an offense: 1. Find the perceived weakest link and pick on them or 2. pick on the guy who YOU think is your best cover guy. Deion is regarded as the latter by Bubba so he can expect to have teams go at him, especially coming off of an injury. I wish Bubba and Rudy would identify an opposing DB to target and make the kid prove he can cover. I don't see that as part of our game plan, ever.

• Upvote 1

I only caught the second half of the game but thought the OL played pretty well from what I saw.  I was not impressed with our QB play at all, even with time he rushed throws and didn't keep his eyes down field.   I only saw him make a couple good throws, the rest were off and badly off most of the time.  He looked uncomfortable in spite of having a some time on most passing plays.   Calling any passing plays in the second half was pretty much a wasted call between WR not getting separation and the QB playing poorly.  

What is the point of recruiting this big WR's if we don't toss them some jump balls in man coverage?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1