SiouxSports.com Forum

How do the Fighting Hawks pull off the college football upset of the year?

Midwestern Hawk

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The weather being terrible would help.  Windy, rainy.....ball has to be on the ground type weather.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. South southwest wind 9 to 13 mph.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=237&y=128&site=sew&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=237&map_y=128#.W5KOduhKiUk

28 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I still don't understand how this happens...

Conflict. Family goes to one,  lifelong friends to the other. Footballers on both sides. 

Has taken years off my life and at times forced me to take comfort with cheap whiskey and contemplate the irony of life 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Fry Bread said:

Yes, I have. Been a Sioux football fan and Bison football fan for a long time. Not a die hard, but a fan

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I still don't understand how this happens...

29 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s called bipolar disorder 

Then get the guy some medication. Jeez.

55 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Not going to college is my guess...

Lack of college attendance creates a sports mind to follow multiple teams? I'm intrigued on your research data to come up with this hypothesis. Or is this already scientific law?  

35 minutes ago, bang said:

Lack of college attendance creates a sports mind to follow multiple teams? I'm intrigued on your research data to come up with this hypothesis. Or is this already scientific law?  

I could be wrong, but he probably meant didn't go to either UND or NDSU and just didn't have strong enough ties one way or another to hate one and only rule for the other.   My dad went to grad school at NDSU, both me and my brother went to UND and he became a UND fan.  However with NDSU's recent success he has rooted for NDSU during their run but still roots for UND.  I told him last night I'd send him that Pac12 link somebody posted to watch the game.  

As for the topic of this thread.  On top of what others have said, I also think we need to break a big play or two.  Maybe broken coverage on Washington's part, or Santiago finds one of those seems he had when he was a freshman and takes one 65 yards to the house.  I doubt we will methodically march down the field against Washington so we will need some big plays.  

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

with age comes maturity, with maturity comes reasonableness, with reasonableness comes the reality that sports is just a game, a distraction from the stressful things in life.  Make the leap to realize liking things makes less stress than hating things and enjoy.

This is so so true!

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

with age comes maturity, with maturity comes reasonableness, with reasonableness comes the reality that sports is just a game, a distraction from the stressful things in life.  Make the leap to realize liking things makes less stress than hating things and enjoy.

I need a few of those pills.

3 hours ago, Fry Bread said:

Conflict. Family goes to one,  lifelong friends to the other. Footballers on both sides. 

Has taken years off my life and at times forced me to take comfort with cheap whiskey and contemplate the irony of life 

I have family on both sides of all rivalries I enjoy. I HATE my rivals. I also HATE even more that my family loves my rivals. Pick a side and root hard against the other! It'll help and make those rivalries even more fun when you can stick it to your family ;)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

So, because I'm younger than you (not sure if this is true, but it could be!), I am less mature. Only when my maturity (with age) blossoms, I will know the true fancy of sport and be less invested and no longer hate my rivals. This sound right? Just clarifying this.

Because I have a 92 year old grandpa who would heartily disagree with this. Hating a rival is a part of what makes sports fun.

5 hours ago, bang said:

Growing up in ND and not attending either University could create a mindset to follow both teams, yes.  

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. South southwest wind 9 to 13 mph.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?x=237&y=128&site=sew&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=237&map_y=128#.W5KOduhKiUk

Probably no rain, but at least the wind might slow down their pass game a little? 

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I have family on both sides of all rivalries I enjoy. I HATE my rivals. I also HATE even more that my family loves my rivals. Pick a side and root hard against the other! It'll help and make those rivalries even more fun when you can stick it to your family ;)

yeah same here to some extent. I have some family members who are UND Hockey fans and NDSU Football Fans...drives me nuts. Pick a damn side lol.

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Growing up in ND and not attending either University could create a mindset to follow both teams, yes.  

I’d agree with that. I grew up in GF but attended NDSU. I never changed my shade of green though. Where you grew up really does effect your alliances as an adult. That being said someone who never went to either school or grew up in either city may have an identity crisis. Atleast when it comes to which school they root for. I misread your original post. My bad. 

• Upvote 1

22549864_10155269904222408_6856179195545 

24921EC800000578-0-image-m-51_1420933842

1 hour ago, bang said:

I’d agree with that. I grew up in GF but attended NDSU. I never changed my shade of green though. Where you grew up really does effect your alliances as an adult. That being said someone who never went to either school or grew up in either city may have an identity crisis. Atleast when it comes to which school they root for. I misread your original post. My bad. 

Cue Josh Duhamel. UND fan including having Sioux hats in his movies, now sporting a Bison hat and attended his first Bison game. 

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

your use of capitalization along with liberal use of the term hate predisposes me to judge your maturity in a direction you would not care for.

• Downvote 1

In all seriousness, I've pondered this question for about ten minutes now.

How can they pull off a win?   I think it would have to be good old fashioned luck.

Some Washington missed field goals, bad snaps, tipped balls . . . etc.

One of those "nothing went W's way today" type of games.