SiouxSports.com Forum

No Confidence on DiLorenzo... Again

SWSiouxMN

39 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

About how the aviation department never brought up their concerns to Kennedy?

Come on, faculty campus wide have been raising these concerns for years and you know it.  It shouldn't come to this and Kennedy acting blindsided is ridiculous.  Per his own words, the aviation program is one of the jewels of UND......yet he had no clue that the entire department is having issues with his right hand man?  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheFlop said:

Come on, faculty campus wide have been raising these concerns for years and you know it.  It shouldn't come to this and Kennedy acting blindsided is ridiculous.  Per his own words, the aviation program is one of the jewels of UND......yet he had no clue that the entire department is having issues with his right hand man?  

There's a difference in how an executive would approach being aware some faculty are upset about not being able to flaunt statewide course fee policies and being told directly by the faculty exactly what their concerns are with an administrator.

I still don't see how the flight fees affect safety, unless the fees are limited to an amount at which not enough revenue is generated to pay necessary costs. Seeing as UND is currently cheap compared to competitors, I don't see that happening. Seems a weak excuse. 

During the meetings with UND Finance, the deans and the Huron Consultants who established MIRA (The university's new budget model) it was determined that flight fees were considered to be a "direct flow through" and not subject to the 15 percent participation fee/subvention tax. If the subvention tax were to be applied, flight fees would have to be raised more than 15 percent to cover the increase. 

I'd guess this is the sticking point right now.  The Aviation Department doesn't want to contribute towards or participate in the central university, although I'm told UND's flight fees are currently less than those of its competitors.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4497876-former-aerospace-dean-had-tumultuous-relationship-und-provost

I'll add the other article that went with the opinion that TheFlop posted.  

Again, none of this animosity from aviation surprises me.  Going to be interesting to see how all of this ends up going down. 

Smith told the Herald the school is somewhat run as its own entity. The school does its own recruiting and has its own student services, among other things, which contributes to the success of the school.

Smith said there have been efforts to "centralize" student services and recruiting with the rest of the university. Each time it happened, Smith said he would refuse because part of the school's success is its autonomy.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4500553-ed-schafer-defends-und-provost-says-aerospace-needs-be-part-one-university

"Be there and let the process work. Why do you resist everything and have to be this separate, stand-alone, 'We do it our own way' thing? You're at the University of North Dakota, you're an official part of the university, become part of the one university," Schafer said.

• 2 weeks later...