SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: Fighting Hawks vs MVSU

geaux_sioux

One name I haven’t seen mentioned from last night- Mason Bennett.  Once adjustments were made on D and they were able to play a little faster the kid did what we expected him to do.  Which is good.  

Him and #91 played well when we figured out what they were doing.  They did what we all expected the game to go.  Get the youth behind them up to speed and hopefully healthy.  

Shore up the secondary.  Two corners playing their first game in two years.  Hoping they continue to improve.  

• Upvote 2

I was underwhelmed to say the least but Ketteringham does look good. He has a cannon and can place the ball where it needs to be. He did have one or two throws where I wish he would have tucked and ran. As mentioned the secondary needs to shore things up but it was nice to see us stop the run again.

• Upvote 1

I’ve slept on it and now can comment:

Underwhelming performance but a win. Ultimately UND looked worse than I had hoped. The players and coaches have to do better; more work to do.

Positives:

QB play was a quite good. Ketteringham is an upgrade over Studsrud. He has a better deep ball and is composed in the pocket. He also just looks the part. Happy with this position which is huge (most important position in sports).

UND Pass rush was getting after MVSU all night. With that said, MVSU’s Oline was pathetic. Negative rushing yards and multiple false starts.

Garrett Maag is the real deal. Great potential career for him at UND.

New wrinkles in offense: throwing to TE, all three backs on field at same time, more plays to Santiago in space, bubble screens, deep shots; the game was called well by Rudolph.

Negatives:

The fumbles by Oliveira were unacceptable. Can’t turn the ball over.

Have to finish in the red zone! Should’ve scored at least 14 more points! To make matters worse, the field goal unit left points out there on the field! Leach looked poor ... DAMN! That will hurt UND

Pass defense was unacceptable ... again. This will continue to be UND’s Achilles heel unless they can tighten it up. MVSU shouldn’t be able to pass up and down the field like they did.

Cant drop interceptions! Damn! 

kickoff coverage and kick depth was poor

All in all, I would give UND a C - grade for this game; Below average but pass because they won. 

Washington game likely to be ugly. Have to hope UND plays way better and Washington completely overlooks UND also.

Not going to overlook the next game to week 3. Have to take it one game at a time. Improve this week and get after it versus one of the best In the country.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

QB play was a quite good. Ketteringham is an upgrade over Studsrud. He has a better deep ball and is composed in the pocket. He also just looks the part. Happy with this position which is huge (most important position in sports).

Agreed.  Fiedler made 2 great catches last night.  I wasn't expecting that.

After watching last nights game, plus feelings coming into the season, concerns are WR, Secondary, O-Line, Special Teams

• WR: Had a really bad game as a group, as many dropped balls as I can remember. Guys with the majority of the drops mainly Toivonen / Wanzek are sure handed. I do think this group overall is solid, but they are more on my list as a segue to the second bullet point.
  • Secondary: As bad as this group was in the 1st half, they cleaned up basically everything in the 2nd half. I'm not saying this positional group isn't the weakness of the defense, because it is, but I'm optimistic that they will improve. As others have pointed out, Harris (missed entire year due to injury) and Holm (missed most last year due to injury) absolutely were going to have some rust. I'm not saying these two will be the best CB tandem in the FCS, but they both have been pretty good CB's at the this level. Those two will get better, there's no doubt about that. They were missing a starting safety as well. Still needs to improve, but I think they will.
  • O-Line: Tough to tell based on opponent. Given how young the line is, they will improve throughout the year
  • Special Teams: Kickoff coverage much better in 2nd half, not ideal for kicker to go 0-2 (after going 0-2 in Fall camp scrimmage).

Who got the most reps at RT yesterday? I know Waletzko got in pretty early, but did he play the majority of the game?

10 hours ago, 1972 said:

I am not sure about Holm at all, he looked completely lost most of the time.  Should have had at least 3 pass interference penslties.  If that's solid, we are in deep crap

And he's going to be tested all game every game with Harris on the other side. Let's hope this was rust.

It's always hard to assess a team after Game 1. So much can change over the season, and even from week to week, but:

• MVSU's OLine was probably the worst I've seen at this level. Our DLine and LB's had a fun game, and took advantage of the weakness. The MVSU QB is sore today, I'm sure.
  • Ketteringham - we're going to like watching him play
  • Rudolph - mixed it up more than past years. Even in a game where you want to keep things kind of vanilla, there was rhythm and flow to the offense. Lots of weapons on this team.
  • WRs - lots of comments about the drops. My thought during the game was that the MVSU DBs were always in position to make the play. I don't remember a drop that wasn't a contested catch. I don't know if MVSU's DB crew is top-notch or not, but our guys had trouble getting free. I'm not worried about the drops - lack of separation was more the issue.
  • Team - played a lot of guys last night. Lots of younger guys got a decent # of plays.
  • Injuries - no major ones. Jade Lawrence left the game and was wearing a boot on the sidelines. Tank Harris left the game, looked like an ankle, but was walking pretty well on the sidelines. I think that was more precautionary to take him out.

Looking forward to Seattle and UW next week!

Positives:

QB definite upgrade.

RB's are very good.

TE's were targeted more often.

Run defense was good

Defense improved in 2nd half after adjusting

Negatives:

Pass defense in 1st Half

Dropped passes by WR's

Fumbles

Special Teams(Kickoffs and FG)

Overall I'll always take a 35-7 win.  Lots to work on this week.  Hopefully leg injuries to Tank Harris and Jade Lawrence are not serious.

• Upvote 2

A Bubba win:

- a win
- lots on the film to work on

My knocks:

- 3rd and 25 and a full blitz to give up 50 yards? 
- 11 and 14 need to bring it in if it hits their hands
- loss of focus on special teams (go up two scores, give up long return)

My "improve it" list:

- I like the reverse rollout action with 8; however, he needs a short and long receiver option
- tackling, especially in/by the secondary
- coverage by the DBs

My "you're fine" list:

- hey, 27, calm down and relax, let muscle memory do the work

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A Bubba win:

- a win
- lots on the film to work on

My knocks:

- 3rd and 25 and a full blitz to give up 50 yards? 
- 11 and 14 need to bring it in if it hits their hands
- loss of focus on special teams (go up two scores, give up long return)

My "improve it" list:

- I like the reverse rollout action with 8; however, he needs a short and long receiver option
- tackling, especially in/by the secondary
- coverage by the DBs

My "you're fine" list:

- hey, 27, calm down and relax, let muscle memory do the work

I think 27 will be fine.  In my experience - with those first few kicks in live action at college level seem to be in hyper speed.  Things will mentally slow down for him quickly.  

Not sure when Toivonen got the reputation of having good hands? He’s had drop issues from day one. 

I was watching Harris closely last night and he does not trust his leg yet. I hope that doesn’t continue because he had me worried last night. 

Our WR not separating is a massive concern. We will be playing against much better competition from here on out.

Its tough to keep in mind that our coaches went in blind for the most part with this game, defense especially, but they didn’t do anything crazy. We should have enough gamers on this team that they can still stay on their guy and not give up 3rd and long consistently. 

We are far from a playoff team right now, hopefully we see a marked improvement by the time we get to the “conference” schedule.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ajries18 said:

McKinney had one touch (called back by penalty) and showed some serious speed, burst, wiggle, etc.  Hoping Rudy gives him some more touches in space.

I sincerely hope that we held many cards close to the chest yesterday and are springing the trap on Washington and Sammy.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Young guys I look forward to watching: 

izzy a

zeke ott

Noah Larson 

any weather forecast for UW? A rainy muddy battle would even up the teams. 

I thought all 3 played well.  Two of them were playing their first collegiate game.    Ott and Larson play downhill. 

This game was pretty much what realistically should of been expected, and that is with the areas still of concern. After all it was game 1, and with recovering from last year, there is no way were we going to look like a polished playoff team. We will get better with more games under our belt. 7 or 8 wins still looks realistic. The next two opponents will be a big challenge. Hopefully we are ready for a run when we start with the Big Sky teams.

Layman's look at last night's game:

Ketteringham looked solid.

Harris had a tough night.  Not sure if it is confidence or rust, but hopefully gets better

Regardless of the final rushing stats, I felt the offensive line was underwhelming, at least in the first half.

I liked the aggressive nature of the front 7.  The secondary might be bad for a while.  I think  the best help they can have is by having the DL and LBs getting after the QB as much as possible.  Live by the sword, die by the sword type of thing.

Special teams were atrocious in all phases.