SiouxSports.com Forum

Gameday: Fighting Hawks vs MVSU

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, bang said:

Kostich

I was impressed with the guy when first hired. I thought it to be a tough sale to convince Bubba to give him a chance at such a young age. I think he fails to connect with the players for one. I also think (I don’t know) that he’s a little arrogant and is not learning from his mistakes. He’s not eating his humble pie. Just keeps banging his head against the wall. In my opinion. 

Kid from my hometown was courted as a PWO 2 years ago by us and ag U.  He chose ag U.  I asked his dad why. Response: kid loved Schmidt and Bubba and liked UND academic better, however, he’s a tight end and he couldn’t bear the attitude of the position coach—Kostich.  Kid is the complete ND farm kid—humble, hard working, polite.  He couldn’t picture being led with arrogance.  That sealed it for me.  Kostich can’t connect and lead, he needs to go.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

This post is going against the grain and will be completely optimistic:

• Definition of the tale of two halves, I thought overall once adjustments were made the second half UND looked good on both sides of the ball
  • Ketteringham looked good
  • WR's won't drop as many as they did tonight
  • Like they did in the secondary, the kick off coverage was good in the 2nd half
  • Solid pass coverage all game
  • Running game picked up as the game went on

I get it, it was a bad first half, but once adjustments were made the game wasn't close. The opponent was terrible, but there are things that they can build on.

I agree, they looked better in the second half, but it is hard to know how they would fare against a team that doesn’t continually beat themselves after they get in scoring position.   How many motion penalties did #78 have, five or six?  Lot of our guys hadn’t played in game conditions in a year, so hopefully they have steady improvement.  Since they didn’t know what to expect from MVS, I think they played less aggressive in the first half.  They were playing off the receivers quite a bit early, then got more aggressive after half.

3 minutes ago, Class_of_98 said:

Kid from my hometown was courted as a PWO 2 years ago by us and ag U.  He chose ag U.  I asked his dad why. Response: kid loved Schmidt and Bubba and liked UND academic better, however, he’s a tight end and he couldn’t bear the attitude of the position coach—Kostich.  Kid is the complete ND farm kid—humble, hard working, polite.  He couldn’t picture being led with arrogance.  That sealed it for me.  Kostich can’t connect and lead, he needs to go.

Gotta tell ya, NDSU isn’t exactly a cure for arrogance.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Initial Grades: Offense

QB- A  Ketteringham was great

RB- B Santiago underwhelming, Oliveira awesome but turnovers, Johannson solid

WR’s - C  Drops, not great separation 

TE’s- B Good

OL- B Did not dominate, just ok

There we’re a lot of plays left out there. Ketteringham was great. I think Jon S will want to forget this game, Brady rushed awesome? Needs to have to carry the football around campus all week ala “The Program” and have people try to jar it out. Johannson was solid. I had hoped to see domination from the line. Not much room for Jon S out there. Maag is going to be a good one. That TD catch was fantastic, Izzy looked like he’s taken a step up as well. I think he’ll be seeing the TD drop in his sleep tonight. I think the WR group will be better than tonight showed. If we continue to use the TE’s, they could be really good. My armchair observations. 

34 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Outside of Brady .....impressed with nothing.  

Not even Ketteringham? So nice to have a DI QB who can make the pass to the right player at the right time. Without the drops he's gotten be 75% at least.

• Upvote 2

Just now, tnt said:

Funny. The thing about the shitheads is that they win. Arrogance to a certain extent can be earned. Not sure how arrogant the current coaching staff is? The fan base yes, coaches aren’t that bad. In my opinion. 

1 minute ago, shep said:

Not even Ketteringham? So nice to have a DI QB who can make the pass to the right player at the right time. Without the drops he's gotten be 75% at least.

Was very impressed with Ketteringham other than the couple of times he tried to force passes instead of just throwing it away

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

Like I mentioned, tale of two halves, the DB's didn't give much in the 2nd half. Holm we know is solid did get picked on and Harris was over a year since he played last. It's tough to cover against a 3 step drop when you're on an island. Nice adjustments by Schmidt in the second half.

I am not sure about Holm at all, he looked completely lost most of the time.  Should have had at least 3 pass interference penslties.  If that's solid, we are in deep crap

• Upvote 3

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

Was very impressed with Ketteringham other than the couple of times he tried to force passes instead of just throwing it away

Yep. Each time he had room to run, but man can he put a ball where it needs to go when he has the time. To OLine credit, most of the game, he had the time.

After watching both halves, I do think UND didn't really know what to expect from the opponent, or guessed wrong. I realize how bad MVSU is and how bad the first half was for UND. Taking everything into account, if these two teams played next week, it would be a a much more lopsided game. After last year, I have to hang onto the positives.

• Upvote 2

A long way to go. Defense had nice  adjustments in the 2nd half. 3 step/quick passes have always given UND problems. Glad to see some adjustments slow them down. 

Offense needs to be much better. We ran the ball well but given the opponent the run game that was expected. One of their d-ends look like he was about 165 lbs wearing a 90s number. WRs need to catch the ball. I can’t believe the amount of drops we had tonight and have routinely. Can’t win games when you drop the ball. Also put a slot guy in and run the bubble screen. Makes no sense to have possession WRs catch and run those. I thought the qb play was ok. Took a couple chances that would have been picks against better dbs...that being said nice to see the deep ball thrown so well. 

All this said. I still think the talent is there but we have to play cleaner and faster. Next two weeks will be interesting. 

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

Trying to do too much would be my fear for Ketteringham as well, especially against good competition and in close games.  If our defense plays the way we hope, that might be a problem, if they don’t he may need to fit it into tight windows.

1 hour ago, Class_of_98 said:

And yet Kostich has what could be the BEST TE in the state of MN committed......

I love the small town kids, but a lot of our guys are not small town kids.  I have seen our TE coach in many situations and I disagree with your assessment.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

And yet Kostich has what could be the BEST TE in the state of MN committed......

I love the small town kids, but a lot of our guys are not small town kids.  I have seen our TE coach in many situations and I disagree with your assessment.

Word I got from parent of player who graduated last year is that the players love him. 

My minimal experience with him has been positive too. 

• Upvote 3

https://seamoresports.com/2018/08/31/35-7-how-tonights-score-does-not-tell-the-whole-story-for-mvsu/ 

I was the one asking these questions to players and Head Coach Vincent Dancy below.  I will post more UND things, but this MVSU team reminded me a lot of Bubba's first team here. Impressed with their compete level. I had a chance to interview some of their players and Coach Dancy. UND looked good, but MVSU made them earn things and showed how they can win games in the SWAC. I still mainly post UND things but wanted to showcase what this team could be with Coach Dancy leading the way.  

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I heard Washington’s QB might be a Heisman candidate. 

Browning is a boss.  That game should be about a 40 point game.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

You aren't wrong.  But they've kicked people around for the better part of a decade.  

7 hours ago, shep said:

Against the likes of mvsu, I would hope that EVERY player would look all American.  They didn’t..... not even close. At minimum I was expecting a 35-7 score at the half. Not a final!!   Mvsu nearly had it a 21-17 game at the half.  

Season ticket holder here....like the potential for this year's team....most improvement as a team is usually between week 1 and 2, but even tho improving....I don't think they'll beat 'U-dub'....

I agree with some who've posted about the 'arrogance' of Bison fandom....rivaled only by the 'arrogance'  of UND hockey, team, staff, fans and those who cover for the media....fingers point in both directions.....