SiouxSports.com Forum

Starting QB

sioux24/7

Who Should Start?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see starting at QB?

• Andrew Zimmerman
    • Nate Ketteringham
    • Brock Boltmann
    • Noah Wanzek

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

This is a very good point and could definitely point to a potential positive outcome with "opening the playbook" this year offensively. During this coaching staffs era, not only did they have (1) Terrible depth at the QB position until this year, but also (2) Limited abilities with Studsrud as far as the deep ball (lack of speed outside didn't help). Of course the system isn't going to change this year, but with (1) True Depth (2) Bigger Arms, I wouldn't be surprised to see an offense that is harder to defend. Zimmerman not starting against Montana was ridiculous, but it also shows based on practice they didn't think he was better than Heidelbaugh (obvious statement). That also showed up to that point that they didn't think they had an option B, so the entire game plan that year was going to be conservative. 

Coming into fall camp knowing they have depth, they can game plan around it and not an offense where they have to be conservative, because if Studsrud went down (as we saw in previous years), the team was basically screwed. 

I'm excited for this year with the depth at QB, the return most of the WR core, but add the RS Freshman class (Greibel, McKinney), who will give you another dimension with more speed and a guy like Maag. 

I'm with @BarnWinterSportsEngelstad I think we could be pleasantly surprised this year on the offensive side of the ball. 

If our offensive line can stay healthy, we will be just fine.  But this is the one position group I am concerned about.

Ketteringham must be an improvement over Studsrud. If he isn’t or simply equals his play, UND’s offense will remain the same. There has been no pleasant surprises (yet) on the offensive line to indicate the running game alone can carry the offense. Ultimately, it takes an entire team to win games, so UND’s defense improving is also a huge factor in win total for 2018.

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Now that Ketteringham has been named starter, I am wondering what people think his stats will be? I am thinking something like 2,200 yards passing with about 20 TDs? Maybe that's a bit aggressive I don't really know.

td's a little high considering rudy loves the triple reverse...our wr's will have 10 td passes this year

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Now that Ketteringham has been named starter, I am wondering what people think his stats will be? I am thinking something like 2,200 yards passing with about 20 TDs? Maybe that's a bit aggressive I don't really know.

My 4 year old sacked him tonight at Fan Fest.  He took the hit well!!  Ket goofed around with him for a while, it was great!! 

• Upvote 2

On 8/22/2018 at 12:55 PM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Studs could play hurt, but did sit out some. Imagine if the Q postion would of been down to 3rd or 4th backup for 2nd half of last season?

Looking for this team (coaches included) to positively surprise a lot of fans.

QB is a position that has been poorly recruited and developed - hopefully this will change this year.  Lack of a quality QB recruit each year and mis-managing QB talent has been a major failure of the Bubba era.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

My 4 year old sacked him tonight at Fan Fest.  He took the hit well!!  Ket goofed around with him for a while, it was great!! 

I hope he puts up big numbers. Biggest difference should be deep shots downfield if offensive line can protect him. If he does put up big time passing numbers, UND wins many games and is a postseason team.

7 hours ago, Irish said:

QB is a position that has been poorly recruited and developed - hopefully this will change this year.  Lack of a quality QB recruit each year and mis-managing QB talent has been a major failure of the Bubba era.

Up to this point, this is true unfortunately.