SiouxSports.com Forum

Starting QB

sioux24/7

Who Should Start?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to see starting at QB?

• Andrew Zimmerman
    • Nate Ketteringham
    • Brock Boltmann
    • Noah Wanzek

On 8/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, sioux24/7 said:

I know this has been a nonstop topic but I am hungover on a Sunday and just want to talk football.

Andrew Zimmerman - Played in 4 games last season, no starts. Finished the year completing 21 of 41 passes for 339 yards and 3 TDs against 1 INT.

Nate Ketteringham - Has 17 collegiate games under his belt completing 55% of his passes for 3387 yards 24 TDs and 15 ints. Had a down sophomore year compared to his freshman year.

Brock Boltmann - Best athlete of the three, I know Studsrud has been his comp a lot because of the mobility but it sounds like Boltmann may be a better passer? I seem to recall Tom Miller saying that he hasn't seen a freshman QB like him or something like that.

Noah Wanzek - Completed 2 of his 3 career passes for 30 yards and 1 touchdown. ;)

Might as well throw Brady Oliveira in there too, he had a TD pass to Fiedler 2 years ago.

In the UNDFootball360 "What's Happening" section of their website, they have this:

"August 20th We have heard UND will name their starting QB by tomorrow, August 21st, which falls in line with the timeline we were given by Coach Rudolph.  The Hawks begin normal school-time practices tomorrow. "

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

That would be something....to have your team captain be the 3rd string QB!  

Leadership is not always about skill. I have had plenty of great bosses that couldn't do the job of their subordinates. I've also had terrible bosses that could do superior work to what their employees could do.

If Zim is the backup or even the third string, you will find out very quickly how much he deserves to be Captain, because his position on the depth chart won't impact the leadership.

I agree that Zimmerman looked solid in relief duty last season.  But I was happy to see Ketteringham named the started.  I feel he is a proven commodity at this level of play, and I remember being impressed by his play while following his season in the Big Sky a couple years ago when he was at Sac St......

10 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I agree that Zimmerman looked solid in relief duty last season.  But I was happy to see Ketteringham named the started.  I feel he is a proven commodity at this level of play, and I remember being impressed by his play while following his season in the Big Sky a couple years ago when he was at Sac St......

I was pleased, and not surprised, Ketteringham was named the starter.  Zimmerman is still a good QB.  It will be nice to know that if there are any issues with Nate (injury or play on the field), he should be able to step in without missing a beat.

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I was pleased, and not surprised, Ketteringham was named the starter.  Zimmerman is still a good QB.  It will be nice to know that if there are any issues with Nate (injury or play on the field), he should be able to step in without missing a beat.

Last year it was terrifying to see Studs run around the pocket and going on QB runs knowing that we didn’t have much of a backup ready In case he gets drilled. 

This year I feel like I can breath easy watching our QB’s

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Last year it was terrifying to see Studs run around the pocket and going on QB runs knowing that we didn’t have much of a backup ready In case he gets drilled. 

Studs could play hurt, but did sit out some. Imagine if the Q postion would of been down to 3rd or 4th backup for 2nd half of last season?

Looking for this team (coaches included) to positively surprise a lot of fans.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I wonder if that crept into Studsy's mind?

I hope Ket plays balls out knowing he has some depth behind him.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I wonder if that crept into Studsy's mind?

I hope Ket plays balls out knowing he has some depth behind him.

It had to play into Rudolph's mind calling plays.  After two years ago when he got hurt late in the game vs. someone when he should have been on the sideline that is a mistake you don't want to make again.

4 hours ago, homer said:

It had to play into Rudolph's mind calling plays.  After two years ago when he got hurt late in the game vs. someone when he should have been on the sideline that is a mistake you don't want to make again.

This is a very good point and could definitely point to a potential positive outcome with "opening the playbook" this year offensively. During this coaching staffs era, not only did they have (1) Terrible depth at the QB position until this year, but also (2) Limited abilities with Studsrud as far as the deep ball (lack of speed outside didn't help). Of course the system isn't going to change this year, but with (1) True Depth (2) Bigger Arms, I wouldn't be surprised to see an offense that is harder to defend. Zimmerman not starting against Montana was ridiculous, but it also shows based on practice they didn't think he was better than Heidelbaugh (obvious statement). That also showed up to that point that they didn't think they had an option B, so the entire game plan that year was going to be conservative. 

Coming into fall camp knowing they have depth, they can game plan around it and not an offense where they have to be conservative, because if Studsrud went down (as we saw in previous years), the team was basically screwed. 

I'm excited for this year with the depth at QB, the return most of the WR core, but add the RS Freshman class (Greibel, McKinney), who will give you another dimension with more speed and a guy like Maag. 

I'm with @BarnWinterSportsEngelstad I think we could be pleasantly surprised this year on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Upvote 1