Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SWSiouxMN

2018-19 Season

Recommended Posts

If I am seeing this correctly Brewster scheduled one D1 OOC home game this year.  I repeat - ONE D1 OOC home game.  

But they did lock up Mayville State for a December 12th exhibition tonight.  :0

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any predictions on the Mayville game tonight? 

We are up 10-8 right now

i predict we win by 12

63-51 good guys

 bonus prediction is strand hits four three pointers this game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

If I am seeing this correctly Brewster scheduled one D1 OOC home game this year.  I repeat - ONE D1 OOC home game.  

But they did lock up Mayville State for a December 12th exhibition tonight.  :0

 

Plus the one D1 home game was at 11am on a business day.  We had to say no to season tickets this year.

Not sure Brewster is in charge of scheduling though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, obborg said:

Plus the one D1 home game was at 11am on a business day.  We had to say no to season tickets this year.

Not sure Brewster is in charge of scheduling though.

It's His Program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gfhockey said:

One quesion

 

 how does SDSU get #8 Oregon at home? 

It's a lot easier to get P-5 and elite programs for home games in WBB than men's.  For the men, I think a big part of it is the guarantee money.  For the women, the top teams don't want to tank their RPI, so they wouldn't risk travelling to a place where they risk a "bad loss" against a sub-150 RPI team.  The Jacks are a perennial high-RPI team, and as such, are a lot more likely to get great teams to come into Brookings.

I don't know what the Sioux/Hawks have been in average RPI over the last few years, but if the average is over 150, I'd say your coach just isn't doing a good job luring in teams to Grand Forks.  I wouldn't say he is doing a terrible job scheduling, though, as your current SOS is #87.  Because of that tough schedule, your RPI is #174, despite the 2-7 record.  Good strategy for RPI, but one would think he could get some better home games for the fans.  JMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kiyoat said:

It's a lot easier to get P-5 and elite programs for home games in WBB than men's.  For the men, I think a big part of it is the guarantee money.  For the women, the top teams don't want to tank their RPI, so they wouldn't risk travelling to a place where they risk a "bad loss" against a sub-150 RPI team.  The Jacks are a perennial high-RPI team, and as such, are a lot more likely to get great teams to come into Brookings.

I don't know what the Sioux/Hawks have been in average RPI over the last few years, but if the average is over 150, I'd say your coach just isn't doing a good job luring in teams to Grand Forks.  I wouldn't say he is doing a terrible job scheduling, though, as your current SOS is #87.  Because of that tough schedule, your RPI is #174, despite the 2-7 record.  Good strategy for RPI, but one would think he could get some better home games for the fans.  JMO.

Or any home games.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest NCAA RPI  shows SDSU 11; USD 17; Denver 77; UND 175; ORU 188; WI 249; OHMA 264; PDW 320; NDSU 331.  This shows UND  is in middle of pack with the Summit but this is far cry from where we were couple of years ago when we had RPI from 60 to 100. This shows the program has gone backward in last couple of years and we may show further regression before this year is out. The way it looks is we are not even in the league of the 2 South Dakota schools for the coming year and the next year year.  I listen to AD podcast sure don't hear any concerns on his part about women's basketball program but I got to feel they are starting to hear from the fan base. Especially when they see how far behind we are in level of competition with other summit league schools. Because few years ago when we played the South Dakota schools we were basically right with them and now I betting we are going to fight to stay within 25 points of them. I think we had a coach that got lazy in recruiting and also has ego that thought he should be moving on to bigger and better program and didn't happen. I also think change in ADs'  has hurt in that time has been given as new AD figures things out and he only had past prior years records but not understanding where the program sits right now. The good thing is that NDSU womens basketball program is even further trouble making it easier for UND recruit players. But that window may all of sudden close too and then we will be in for real fight to improve this program. The one thing is the Summit conference is sure conference of the haves and have nots in womens basketball the gap between top 3 and bottom 6 is great right now. We could see 2 teams in NCAA tournament and Denver could also slip in if they continue improve their RPI but could be contender for one of the other college basketball tournaments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I think we had a coach that got lazy in recruiting and also has ego that thought he should be moving on to bigger and better program and didn't happen. I also think change in ADs'  has hurt in that time has been given as new AD figures things out and he only had past prior years records but not understanding where the program sits right now...

That's an interesting angle.  I'd like to know if any other posters here agree with your view on the coach.  I know you stated this earlier, but nobody responded for whatever reason.

...... The one thing is the Summit conference is sure conference of the haves and have nots in womens basketball the gap between top 3 and bottom 6 is great right now....

I agree, and although the Jacks and Coyotes benefit from it, it does seem to have a chilling effect on the struggling teams, which makes it hard to build a strong conference that would benefit all the teams.  My theory is that as a women's sport, it is easy for fans to lose interest when the team is bad, but it is much harder to build and maintain that fan support and interest.  Individual great coaches can buck this trend with great recruiting, schemes and coaching, but sustainability is built with fan interest and support.  i.e. money.  That's why I think both ND schools have more potential for sustained success than many Summit teams.  Because of your loyal fan bases (and past success).  You have to get the right coaches, though, and I don't know that you have that.  Just my opinion.

We could see 2 teams in NCAA tournament and Denver could also slip in if they continue improve their RPI but could be contender for one of the other college basketball tournaments.

Three teams would not happen.  A mid-major needs at least #40 and more likely #35 for an at-large bid.  Despite the current RPI rankings, they will fall by the time we all play each other in-conference.  SDSU is on-track for an at-large, barring any major slip-ups.  USD is probably on the bubble, maybe just outside.  Denver will likely end up around #100, which would get them into the WNIT, but not the NCAA.  The Summit has never had multiple WBB bids that I am aware of.  As a mid-major it's really hard.  If the ND schools improved, it would help everyone's RPI.

 

Also, can I ask if you are Russian or Slavic?  Leaving out articles/determiner words like "the" and "an" is typical of Slavic languages.  No offense, just curious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have fallen so far that it will take time to get the players we need to compete.do we have the leadership needed to evaluate talent and get them to come to UND?

how did we get to this situation? I used to look forward to these games. Now I may watch but as I watch us self destruct I almost find it comical.

sad sad sad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We have fallen so far that it will take time to get the players we need to compete.do we have the leadership needed to evaluate talent and get them to come to UND?

how did we get to this situation? I used to look forward to these games. Now I may watch but as I watch us self destruct I almost find it comical.

sad sad sad

I have said this before: It isn't a UND Women's Basketball game unless there are more turnovers than a bakery and Brewster has that pained expression on his face as he walks back and forth in front of the bench. :silly::angry::(

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have said this before: It isn't a UND Women's Basketball game unless there are more turnovers than a bakery and Brewster has that pained expression on his face as he walks back and forth in front of the bench. :silly::angry::(

That expression is his "why did they do that, I can't believe it, not my fault" look.  It's never his fault even though he recruited them.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 11:22 AM, UND1983 said:

That expression is his "why did they do that, I can't believe it, not my fault" look.  It's never his fault even though he recruited them.

Bump.  Getting pounded again by a cologne.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Bump.  Getting pounded again by a cologne.

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of that one. Stetson cologne 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it close but couldn't quite get all the way back. Klabo was uncharacteristically off, going 3-16 from the field, she normally shoots well over 50%. Team shot 32% overall, not going to win many games doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Good win today over Western Michigan.  Led the entire way!  

Yah, let's hope they can keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have attended each of the women's games this week.  I will make a few comments later on. 

We are down by 4 at half to San Fran but have 18 TOs - unreal!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I have attended each of the women's games this week.  I will make a few comments later on. 

We are down by 4 at half to San Fran but have 18 TOs - unreal!!

Sounds like a normal game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I have attended each of the women's games this week.  I will make a few comments later on. 

We are down by 4 at half to San Fran but have 18 TOs - unreal!!

18 TO's and they are down by only 4.  Absurd all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tied 53-53 after three.  Dooley and Morton have 4 fouls with Klabo having 3.  We are playing a little better but the foul problem is scary!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unreal game - going to overtime.   Klabo had made 16 of 17 FTs and then missed two (we were ahead by two at the time) with 16 seconds left.   We will likely lose now....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...