SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

SWSiouxMN

Just another game for women's basketball where we get nothing out of guard's offensively. When anyone of their guards either outscored all of our guards or nearly did and they did not play a full game. The style of basketball were playing right now is so out touch with what everyone else is playing it hurts to just watch them play. If we had just one guard that could shoot from the outside we could be contending in this conference. Were wasting great efforts by our front line people of Klabo, Fleecs, and Leet and they would be so much more effective with somebody scoring from the outside. Out of all our players there has to be somebody that can hit outside shot from some where and when we find that design offensive scheme to feature that to just keep the defenses honest. I am getting tired of seeing Klabo trying to score with three people on her and no option reversing it going outside for the shot. This also goes for other post players. The sad part is that both the South Dakota schools have good guards from our recruiting area starting for them and I wonder how we lost the recruiting battle or if we just don't value the importance of quality guard play. If I was Brewster and want to keep my job I would be looking hard to find a couple of outstanding offensive guards for next year. At least at the minimum one good offensive guard.  I look at next year where are we going to develop any offense with the players coming back. We have group of women with no one I would call above average offensively if anything I would say were below average.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:57 PM, Big Green said:

Would love to see the Current Betty used as the practice facility.  IMO it is not a D1 Arena.  Build a new arena to the West of the Betty between the Current Betty and Wellness Center.  I would involve some infestruction changes and would need to add parking to the south were the Tennis courts are.

When we provide a better product. Maybe then we can talk about building something nicer. We cannot fill the Betty now..

5 hours ago, Davlun said:

When we provide a better product. Maybe then we can talk about building something nicer. We cannot fill the Betty now..

Ummmm better product = better recruits/players ... those recruits/players want bells and whistles(something nicer) for them to come.. unfortunately building something comes first then the REALLY good recruits follow and we start winning those recruiting battles ..  IMO

5 hours ago, RogerRoger12 said:

Ummmm better product = better recruits/players ... those recruits/players want bells and whistles(something nicer) for them to come.. unfortunately building something comes first then the REALLY good recruits follow and we start winning those recruiting battles ..  IMO

Oh I got it now!  The current BB coaches need a brand new Arena to start winning Summit League championships.  

As evidenced by the fantastic success they are enjoying down at the SHAC.

Yeah, I see big picture is tough for you to comprehend .. you lost me with your SHAC comment, regardless of what you think of Brew, you can’t insinuate him and Maren are on the same level.. don’t even try, your credability would be more on the line than it already is.  I’m done with you now, goodbye!

45 minutes ago, RogerRoger12 said:

Yeah, I see big picture is tough for you to comprehend .. you lost me with your SHAC comment, regardless of what you think of Brew, you can’t insinuate him and Maren are on the same level.. don’t even try, your credability would be more on the line than it already is.  I’m done with you now, goodbye!

Later.  

7 hours ago, RogerRoger12 said:

New stadiums/arenas don’t always equal a better product. Like UND 1983 said the SHAC, I would say Target Field, and the Xcel Energy Center. Our football team got better in a stadium built in 1929, our hockey team won 5 national titles in a building built in the 70’s.  We have a fine basketball arena, that is hardly the problem with both the men’s and women’s team.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Really proud of the effort from Brew and his squad today.  ORU is real powerhouse.

If only they had a brand new arena.....

I hear your sarcasm and yes, the arena is fine.  It's the recruiting and coaching that isn't.  This is not good, a once proud program that in its D-2 heyday beats ORU looks like a middle of the road/meddling D-2 team now.  If there's not a coaching change after this season, my gosh.  What Roebuck built, a proud women's hoops program with a real nice fan base (now deteriorating), has just been burned in a dumpster fire these last few seasons.  And next season looks like the downward trend continues.  Yoy.

• Upvote 1

This team is going backwards not getting better we played ORU earlier in the season and we pretty much controlled the game from beginning to end. Today it was just the opposite it looks to me everyone has adjusted to us but we have done nothing to change our approach to the game. AT this time of year with senior lead team we should be one setting tempo and how were going to play on home court. This is terrible were not defending our home court anymore. Can anyone tell me what's going on here because even for Brewster he coached with much more passion in the past but not this year or last year its like whole program has given up on itself. We had a little of the passion in NDSU game but other than that I haven't seen it.  Yesterday we had such stupid fouls like MOrton trying to run over people on offense I can see it happening once but doing it twice in few minutes totally not acceptable. Our outside shooting is terrible even high school teams can shoot ball better than we have been shooting and its not because were being pressured that much most of times we have been left wide open. Also we just pass up open looks at 15 foot area then try to feed it inside and throw it away. Many of these girls were much better shooting when they came into this program and now I don't know if they could hit open shot. It looks to me only like Klabo and Fleecs have the go ahead to shoot at will all other girls shoot at their own risk. Will UND be able to keep their recruits or would we loose these recruits if we did make a coaching change. My thoughts are this may need to happen when a coach has lost his players like Brewster has I believe we need a change because were turning flagship sport for the university into what it was before coach Roebuck came to UND built it into the program it was. Am I wrong on what I am observing and do others think this is not the problem.

20 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I hear your sarcasm and yes, the arena is fine.  It's the recruiting and coaching that isn't.  This is not good, a once proud program that in its D-2 heyday beats ORU looks like a middle of the road/meddling D-2 team now.  If there's not a coaching change after this season, my gosh.  What Roebuck built, a proud women's hoops program with a real nice fan base (now deteriorating), has just been burned in a dumpster fire these last few seasons.  And next season looks like the downward trend continues.  Yoy.

Sad state of affairs for a team with such a tradition. Probably many factors for the downturn. A new everything would help. And yes, upgrades in facilities would be nice but the Betty is better than average.

• Upvote 2

I WAS JUST WATCHING HIGHLIGHTS OF CLASS B REGION TOURNAMENT AND I JUST THOGHT IF ONLY UND COULD GET SOME OF OUTSIDE SHOOTING THESE KIDS ARE DOING AT THE TOURNAMENT AT THEIR GAMES . THESE KIDS ARE HITTING OUTSIDE 3'S AND ARE HITTING 15 FOOT SHOT TOO. THESE ARE NOT TOP ATHLETES LIKE YOU HAVE AT COLLEGE AND WONDER WHY WE CAN'T SHOOT BETTER THAN WE HAVE FOR THIS SEASON. THIS HAS TO BE ADDRESSED BECAUSE ATHLETES LIKE WE HAVE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SHOOT BETTER THAN THEY HAVE THIS SEASON IT HAS TO BE LACK OF PREPERATION OR WORK ON THESE SKILLS IN THE PROGRAM.

21 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I WAS JUST WATCHING HIGHLIGHTS OF CLASS B REGION TOURNAMENT AND I JUST THOGHT IF ONLY UND COULD GET SOME OF OUTSIDE SHOOTING THESE KIDS ARE DOING AT THE TOURNAMENT AT THEIR GAMES . THESE KIDS ARE HITTING OUTSIDE 3'S AND ARE HITTING 15 FOOT SHOT TOO. THESE ARE NOT TOP ATHLETES LIKE YOU HAVE AT COLLEGE AND WONDER WHY WE CAN'T SHOOT BETTER THAN WE HAVE FOR THIS SEASON. THIS HAS TO BE ADDRESSED BECAUSE ATHLETES LIKE WE HAVE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SHOOT BETTER THAN THEY HAVE THIS SEASON IT HAS TO BE LACK OF PREPERATION OR WORK ON THESE SKILLS IN THE PROGRAM.

Many high school players can knock down 3 after 3 against high school competition. The difference is release and quickness. They get closed out far quicker than they are used to and their release is too slow....this extends to many male athletes as well....Josh Shuler was as good a shooter as we have had at UND and it took him a couple years to be able to learn how to get his shot off efficiently enough to be effective. You also have to be able to put the ball on the floor and go by the defender with purpose to make them give you a little space to shoot. Unfortunately we haven't had many players lately in the women's team who can both shoot the ball from distance effectively and blow by a defender and go to the whole to finish or draw defense and dish...….i'll even tie in a hockey reference here. Brock Boeser and Chris Wilkie have pretty similar shots and know how to get to their spots on the ice...both did so effectively in the USHL, Brock was able to continue with success in college and now in the NHL while Wilkie who had an ever so slightly slower release struggled his first couple years in college adjusting to change in competition.

I know there are different release times for different levels of basketball. The problem I am seeing we have superior athletes recruited here to play at this level and they are not even close to hitting open looks at shots. On the women's side here we have three senior guards on this team with our fourth guard now completing there sophomore season and what I can tell all of them shot better when they came here than they do now. Most of the teams are not even guarding are guards from outside anymore with Klabo having double and triple teams on her. Second is were not even looking or setting up for potential kick outs to guard when we have these double teams. I am saying I don't think this has been worked on in practice or even been planned to be taken advantage of. It seems like we have mind set of were going to score in the paint no matter what because we do on average have bigger team on front line. Today's basketball is all about guard today  where you have big people slashing to basket and if they can't score they kick it out to guards who should have open look. Go to the men's side for UND that is style they are playing. The same is for Western Illinois, SDSU , USD, and even ORU in women's basketball but we haven't developed our personal to do this or even found one type of player that can do this. The last player we had that could play that game was Dyer and Szabla did until her senior year.  Notice how this when we saw decline in UND women's basketball.

17 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I know there are different release times for different levels of basketball. The problem I am seeing we have superior athletes recruited here to play at this level and they are not even close to hitting open looks at shots. On the women's side here we have three senior guards on this team with our fourth guard now completing there sophomore season and what I can tell all of them shot better when they came here than they do now. Most of the teams are not even guarding are guards from outside anymore with Klabo having double and triple teams on her. Second is were not even looking or setting up for potential kick outs to guard when we have these double teams. I am saying I don't think this has been worked on in practice or even been planned to be taken advantage of. It seems like we have mind set of were going to score in the paint no matter what because we do on average have bigger team on front line. Today's basketball is all about guard today  where you have big people slashing to basket and if they can't score they kick it out to guards who should have open look. Go to the men's side for UND that is style they are playing. The same is for Western Illinois, SDSU , USD, and even ORU in women's basketball but we haven't developed our personal to do this or even found one type of player that can do this. The last player we had that could play that game was Dyer and Szabla did until her senior year.  Notice how this when we saw decline in UND women's basketball.

Edited by UNCLE FESTER
not my post only posted 1 time

ItBest point guard sits on benchwould help if Bru would put the correct starting five on  court DOOLEY on bench makes no sense. Is he afraid to use a big lineup KLABO DOOLY FLEECE  Best point guard sits on bench needs to use a 122match up zone May have a case of seinoridis POOR JOB of subbing players lacks team speed to totally play man to man D Time for a coaching change Agree or disagree