SiouxSports.com Forum

2018-19 Season

SWSiouxMN

Recognized that we need the season thread for the women, so here we go.  Here is the schedule that I have been able to find based on what we know and from Midco. <hope for accuracy>

11/21 @ Penn State 

12/7 Milwaukee

1/9 Omaha

1/18 SDSU

1/20 @ NDSU   

1/24 USD

2/3 @ Omaha 

2/7 NDSU 

2/9 @ SDSU   

2/16 ORU

2/23 Denver

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Summit League Schedule for the Women: http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/wbkb/2018-19/schedule?teamId=s4qpwnk0cz6rjnff

12/30 Fort Wayne

1/2 @ ORU

1/5 @ Denver 

1/9 Omaha

1/13 WIU

1/18 SDSU

1/20 @ NDSU

1/24 USD

2/1 @ WIU

2/3 @ Omaha

2/7 NDSU

2/9 @ SDSU

2/16 ORU

2/23 Denver

2/28 @ Fort Wayne

3/2 @ USD

Looks like there is a trip to Rhode Island in the schedule on Nov 27th as well for non-conference

25 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Here is the Summit League Schedule for the Women: http://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/wbkb/2018-19/schedule?teamId=s4qpwnk0cz6rjnff

12/30 Fort Wayne - Sunday
1/2 @ ORU - Wednesday
1/5 @ Denver - Saturday
1/9 Omaha - Wednesday
1/13 WIU - Sunday
1/18 SDSU - Friday
1/20 @ NDSU - Sunday
1/24 USD - Thursday
2/1 @ WIU - Friday
2/3 @ Omaha - Sunday
2/7 NDSU - Thursday
2/9 @ SDSU - Saturday
2/16 ORU - Saturday
2/23 Denver - Saturday
2/28 @ Fort Wayne - Thursday
3/2 @ USD - Saturday

Looks like there is a trip to Rhode Island in the schedule on Nov 27th as well for non-conference

Added days of the week. The women's schedule is a little more tolerable than the men's but still not great. Not a fan of the inconsistent days from week to week.

I just took a look at the 18-19 roster. Fifteen players listed: 6 Seniors (Morton, Dailey sisters, Dooley, Strand and Klabo), 1 Jr (5-7 Jarnot ), 3 So (Reinke, 6-5 Leet, 6-2 Leet), and 5 Freshmen. My first thought is that we didn't seem to make many improvements. Jarnot is new and we lost Franklin, Moton, Burroughs, Sawatzke and Freije.

Besides Klabo, the other seniors are OK but inconsistent. Only one Dailey played. Reinke plays hard but doesn't seem like a big scorer. The other two sophomore bigs played Ok at times. I don't know much about what to expect out of Jarnot. Hopefully, there are a couple freshmen who will contribute. I suspect that last year the team had internal issues - maybe this team can avoid some of that.

Overall, I am disappointed to say that I expect the upper limit to be maybe a 500 season.

• Downvote 1

I think its going to be long season for the green and white. This team has one definite star this year in Klabo but I am afraid that its going to be easily defensed team because of this. Morton is good player but not one you can count on offensively and gets her self in foul trouble a lot. Strand can be offensive threat but on defensive side of basketball she is liability because not quite quick enough to stay with the guards and not quite big enough to handle the forwards. Daily girls unless they show consider improvement over last year they just don't fit into UND style of basketball. The Dooley would be perfect 6 person player but I am afraid she going to have to start. It will come down to Freshman but rarely will Freshman be leader of team and make empack. Also I  forgot Reinke she could emerge as a player but not if Brewster continues to play mind games with her like last year tournament taking her out after opening up the outside. The other thing is Brewster turn over in coaches to me shows that chemistry problem may be at the top not the players. This could be one of the  new AD headaches before this year over if this program is near the bottom of the conference and doesn't show much improvement through the season.  Brewster wanted to move on I believe but opportunities weren't there for what he wanted couple of years ago. I think he got over confident and ego and mind games hurt the team. He's lucky that Klabo decided to stay her final year but he better hope none of these seniors or experienced girl get hurt or he will have worst year for ND womens basketball.

32 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I think its going to be long season for the green and white. This team has one definite star this year in Klabo but I am afraid that its going to be easily defensed team because of this. Morton is good player but not one you can count on offensively and gets her self in foul trouble a lot. Strand can be offensive threat but on defensive side of basketball she is liability because not quite quick enough to stay with the guards and not quite big enough to handle the forwards. Daily girls unless they show consider improvement over last year they just don't fit into UND style of basketball. The Dooley would be perfect 6 person player but I am afraid she going to have to start. It will come down to Freshman but rarely will Freshman be leader of team and make empack. Also I  forgot Reinke she could emerge as a player but not if Brewster continues to play mind games with her like last year tournament taking her out after opening up the outside. The other thing is Brewster turn over in coaches to me shows that chemistry problem may be at the top not the players. This could be one of the  new AD headaches before this year over if this program is near the bottom of the conference and doesn't show much improvement through the season.  Brewster wanted to move on I believe but opportunities weren't there for what he wanted couple of years ago. I think he got over confident and ego and mind games hurt the team. He's lucky that Klabo decided to stay her final year but he better hope none of these seniors or experienced girl get hurt or he will have worst year for ND womens basketball.

I think you will see a much improved Dooley.  She is a great athlete and has hopefully focused on BB in the off season whereas she was focused on VB last year.  She could have played BB at UND out of HS.  I think she has a good chance to be our most improved player.  Brewster will need to adapt his coaching style to his players.  Failure to do so will be his downfall.  That includes how he communicates to his players and staff. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I think you will see a much improved Dooley.  She is a great athlete and has hopefully focused on BB in the off season whereas she was focused on VB last year.  She could have played BB at UND out of HS.  I think she has a good chance to be our most improved player.  Brewster will need to adapt his coaching style to his players.  Failure to do so will be his downfall.  That includes how he communicates to his players and staff. 

I agree 100% with all of this. Regarding the first half: Have heard good things about FD's offseason and a refocus on basketball, knocking off the rust after spending 4 years concentrating on volleyball.

For women’s basketball, non conference games are usually much easier to get.  But visiting schools like to hedge their bets by playing two road trip games against schools against different conferences.  NDSU being in the same one potentially hurts now.

URI maybe is a potential future game.  UNI hasn’t shied for coming here too.  The A-10 and MVC would not do that in men’s, but women’s has no big cash payout, so there is much less for them to lose.

The 3-game tournament at Stetson practically demands a return by Stetson.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see Brewster adapting his coaching he hasn't done it in the past. Dooley I expect to be improved but to make dramatic improvement in just few months is asking a lot.  It usually takes players until there third season to start to develop into full potential player and Dooley just won't have time to do this. I look at Klabo it wasn't until last year she developed into real force in basketball.  I hate to say this but it looks to me were going to be bottom half of the conference with this group of players.  I also see he just added to his coaching staff for the losses he had this off season and has hired some of UNDs former players as assistant coaches. I was hoping he would add somebody new with outside experience to give fresh perspective on basketball philosophy and adapting to what he has for talent. I also wonder if internal conflict was even at coaching level  last year with number of turn overs and people that have left since last year. I think our new AD will need to monitor this program closely because I think were heading in the wrong direction. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, kiyoat said:

http://thesummitleague.org/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20181003i01unf

The Summit preseason poll and preseason teams announced.

Klabo is first team all-Summit and UND was picked 6th.  Personally, I have no idea where to put the UND team.  They are kind-of a wildcard to me because of lack of experience playing them.  Just like in volleyball.

If we finish above NDSU, that will be an accomplishment. #notoptimistic

• 4 weeks later...