5 Players Poised For A Breakout 2018 Season

geaux_sioux

My 5:

1. Noah Mortel (LT)
  2. Nathan Nguon (OG)
  3. Noah Larson (ILB):
  4. Jordan Canady (Safety)
  5. Ty Shannon (Safety)

Four of the five on my list played significant minutes as freshman last year, the other was the most talked about player in his freshman class / would have played significant minutes had he been healthy.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:11 PM, sioux24/7 said:

1. Cam McKinney/Mikey Greibel - one of these two will breakout based on the need for that speedy WR. 

2. Nate Ketteringham - Excited to see what he can do with our playmakers. I can't wait to hear the reports from fall camp on how he's looking but I have to imagine this is his job to lose.

3. Alex Cloyd - We have to see him utilized more in the passing game this year don't we?

4. Donnell Rodgers - I know he was already a pretty damn good LB but I think he is posed for a big year coming of the injury year.

5. James Johanneson - Will obviously be tough to get touches with Oliveira/Santiago but I think we see him more this year with Santiago being split out more. 

*Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about I am just bored on a Sunday and cannot wait for the season and fall camp to start. Unfortunately, only going to be able to make it to a maximum of 3 games but will be following along closely on here as well as TV when I can.

These two if utilized correctly could add another dimension to the offense .....I’m sorry .... add A dimension to the offense.   The quick two step drop pass to either one of these guys could relief some pressure up the middle.  These two are perhaps small in height but are tough as nails.  Not sure on straight line speed but they have the shake and bake effect that has the potential to gain large chunks of yardage. I would love to see these two in KO returns as well.  Hope they prove themselves back there.  

One guy I would absolutely love to see have a breakout year is helgren.  He came to und highly recruited but has been planted to the injury bench.   He seems to have so much potential and definitely has the size.   It would be a welcome site to the O line. 

With a complete overhaul on the special teams I’m hoping the entire ST group can “break out “.   Or at least be effective and competent.    The special teams are so under appreciated yet so vital.  This group will be contributing in a lot of the outcomes of games this year .....need them to grow up immediately!   

So it's been pointed out on another thread that Rudy can't win conference offensive corridinator of the year award. LOL. To have some offensive players poised as breakout players and all conference type of season, here's what must happen - going to need Rudy to have an outstanding year. Then maybe some all American awards? Rudy will need to have new plays called starting for the Sam Houston game and continured for all games moving forward, including palyoff games. Training set to start, this offense has the potential. I'm ready to get behind our OC.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My top 5 to have a breakout season(With benefit of fall camp):

1. Nate Ketteringham - IMO Ketteringham upside is fantastic and will allow us to finally stretch the field.

2. Mason Bennett - This guy will have a monster year.  Great first step and now has some more mass to move around.

3. Noah Larson - Will be a giant step up from last year and I think will "get home" on the inside blitz.

4. Alex Cloyd - May end up being Ketteringham's most popular target.  Looks the part and I think is now ready to play the part of a dominant TE. 

5. Noah Mortel - By mid-season will be the leader of a much-improved OLINE.  Has the frame and tools to be a great one for UND.