SiouxSports.com Forum

5 Players Poised For A Breakout 2018 Season

geaux_sioux

There is going to be a ton of opportunity for guys who haven't been main contributors to break onto the scene this coming year. Pick you 5 and say why for each.

1. Nate Ketteringham - I just have a feeling that he is going to win the competition. That, plus the hope the Rudy flips over to page two which may include some TE passes and screen passes, makes me think he could have a pretty nice year stats wise. He's got a much stronger arm than Studsrud also so that means he can keep the defense honest with some throws that Keaton was never capable of making.

2. Jaxon Turner - There were flashes of game-changing ability last season. There were also flashes of inexperience. My hope is that he put on around 15 good pounds and kept his speed and flexibility. At 220 I see him as an all-conference level guy, yea, I know, we're independent for now. Eventually, if he can get up to 230lbs he could be a problem for other teams in all phases, the sky is the limit because this guy can move. 

3. Jordan Canaday - We saw a little of him last year and he looked pretty good but not quite ready to be the guy on the back end. Good length and good movement. I think he'll be a solid player for us this year. 

4. Noah Larson - This is an easy pick. Probably would have started last year had his knee not gotten dinged in fall camp. He had time really get in the playbook get bigger faster and stronger. I can't wait to see him this year. I have very high expectations even though he's "just a fr".

5. Hayden Galvin - This is a risky pick on my part and it's based on his HUDL film and the fact that he will have put on good weight since last season. I just like the way he plays. He seems to have a knack for being around the ball. He's got nice feet and good eyes when the ball is in the air. I hope he proves me right.

1. Cam Hunt- showed flashes last year, stays healthy this year and has a big year.

2. Alex Cloyd- big time recruit/athlete finally puts it together along with Rudolph learning what a TE is and Ketteringham finding him.

3. Ketteringham- whoever wins the QB battle is hopefully gonna break out, and I'm thinking Nate's the guy.

4. Sequin- hopefully all 4 of him, Ott, Morrison, and Honerlaw become studs, but I'm gonna pick Sequin here as the guy who breaks out first.

5. Blubaugh/Nelson- I'm gonna cheat here and pick 2, neither of these guys are expected to start, but Nelson just seems like a straight up bulldog who makes plays and will find the field. I still think Blubaugh was a real good recruit who just got thrown into the fire too early. I think he's a guy who lives football and improves drastically in year 2.  It just seems too easy for holm and harris to be good enough and healthy to lock down the position all year. 

8 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

1. Cam Hunt- showed flashes last year, stays healthy this year and has a big year.

2. Alex Cloyd- big time recruit/athlete finally puts it together along with Rudolph learning what a TE is and Ketteringham finding him.

3. Ketteringham- whoever wins the QB battle is hopefully gonna break out, and I'm thinking Nate's the guy.

4. Sequin- hopefully all 4 of him, Ott, Morrison, and Honerlaw become studs, but I'm gonna pick Sequin here as the guy who breaks out first.

5. Blubaugh/Nelson- I'm gonna cheat here and pick 2, neither of these guys are expected to start, but Nelson just seems like a straight up bulldog who makes plays and will find the field. I still think Blubaugh was a real good recruit who just got thrown into the fire too early. I think he's a guy who lives football and improves drastically in year 2.  It just seems too easy for holm and harris to be good enough and healthy to lock down the position all year. 

We need Cloyd to put it all together this year. He’s got an NFL body and can run. Rudy needs to feed the beast.

im also not so sure that Nelson won’t start for us at either safety or corner. Sounds like the coaches really like him back there and he’s got the flexibility to do both.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'm just going to throw this out there, but I am hoping Pluto TV is poised for a breakout season. The quality can't get too much worse than last year. Can't wait for ESPN3 in 2020.

It also depends on the venue. For example, Southern Utah broadcasts have always been terrible streams so I am happy we do not play there this year. Yes, ESPN3 will be a nice upgrade.

Ketteringham - Finally a QB with the skill set of an FCS QB

McKinney - Finally a QB with arm strength that can get him the ball.  Another year in the system, and hopefully more weight for Mckinney.  If rudolph opens up the playbook that could help.

Mason Bennett - Had my eye on him ever since he came in with Brady Oliviera from Winnipeg.  I think he has some serious upside.

Jake Rastas - Bigger Stronger

James Johannesson

I'd still say Santiago could have a breakout year.  Despite receiving numerous accolades already in his career.  I don't think he has played close to his potential.  He has been limited by the playbook and Offensive Line.  If there are improvements here, we could see much more consistent production out of him.

I can’t guess.... I want 11 offense and 11 defense players to have one HECK of a good year. Then I want 7 on the second string of offense and defense to have a VERY good year. Then I want 11 special teams players to have a HECK of a good year. Then I want 7 second special teams  players to have a very good year.

I think that’s all. Is that asking too much? So that is 54 awesome Sioux!  

We need whichever QB emerges to have a break out year or everything else is moot.

Hopefully all the injuries we had last season on the defensive side of the ball do not repeat and the result of the unexpected playing time has helped us develop some depth on that side of the ball.

We need our offensive line to take 2-3 steps forward. This has been the most disappointing group under Bubba's tenure. guys have either not developed or have left.

On offense we need to show a little creativity and unpredictability. I know the lack of depth on defense has been part of the issue but our goals on offense should be to score....not just run clock to give the defense a rest. We have some talented tight ends, we need to use them and for the Love of all that is holy, can we try and put our best offensive weapons on the field at the same time on occasion instead of 1 at a time, 90% of the time? I am hoping to see some sets, especially early in games with JJ at fullback, Brady at tailback and Santiago in the slot...I would rather see Santiago running the Jet sweep or giving misdirection instead of one of our pedestrian possession receivers. As the game goes on and we have a leads, then load up the tight ends and extra linemen and pound JJ from the tailback slot and Brady as well and give Santiago some deep read plays to keep the defense honest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have no particular order.

Zeke Ott, Austin Gordon (shows his athleticism on D Jalen Morrison, Maag plays and breaks out, and in a odd pick, Oliveira breaks out of the Santiago shadow and is at least as good as John.

HM: Jeremy Jenkins, all 6'7" of him becomes a very good OL

15 minutes ago, shep said:

I have no particular order.

Zeke Ott, Austin Gordon (shows his athleticism on D Jalen Morrison, Maag plays and breaks out, and in a odd pick, Oliveira breaks out of the Santiago shadow and is at least as good as John.

HM: Jeremy Jenkins, all 6'7" of him becomes a very good OL

I'd argue that Oliveira already did that last year.  It would be interesting to know what the median runs for each would be.  Not sure if there is anywhere that we can look it up, but I wouldn't doubt that Oliveira would have a better number there.  Also curious if there is any way to look up number of attempts that ended in a loss of yards.

RUSHING  GP-GS  Att  Gain  Loss  Net  Avg   TD  Long  Avg/G 
John Santiago   11-11  119  759  42  717  6.0  81  65.2 
Brady Oliveira   11-0   111  651  14  637  5.7  57  57.9 
James Johannesson  11-0   41  255  248  6.0  56  22.5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree the TE’s need to be envolved much more this year to open things up.  I see Fiedler having a big year if he stays healthy.  Best blocker, first step and hands of the group.   Not the fastest but has the mean streak they need and carries his blocks throught the whistle.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, O Town said:

I agree the TE’s need to be envolved much more this year to open things up.  I see Fiedler having a big year if he stays healthy.  Best blocker, first step and hands of the group.   Not the fastest but has the mean streak they need and carries his blocks throught the whistle.  

Cloyd has always had "the look" and I just hope he is used this year. If not TE, any other position? DE?

22 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I'd argue that Oliveira already did that last year.  It would be interesting to know what the median runs for each would be.  Not sure if there is anywhere that we can look it up, but I wouldn't doubt that Oliveira would have a better number there.  Also curious if there is any way to look up number of attempts that ended in a loss of yards.

RUSHING  GP-GS  Att  Gain  Loss  Net  Avg   TD  Long  Avg/G 
John Santiago   11-11  119  759  42  717  6.0  81  65.2 
Brady Oliveira   11-0   111  651  14  637  5.7  57  57.9 
James Johannesson  11-0   41  255  248  6.0  56  22.5

Hence, why we need some creativity on offense and put our weapons in position to make plays.

If we want to sustain drives which way would you rather have your running back accumulate 100 yards on 19-20 carries.

A. All runs of positive yardage with most carries getting 3-5 yards and the occasional 10-15 yard play and a minimum number of carries for loss

or

B. Several plays that result in negative yardage with the majority of yards coming on a 70-80 yard run.

Teeder- Sounds like you will miss a portion of fall camp but I know you will rebound and finish with a strong camp evaluation. #informationisgood

SkoHawks- Relatively new to the site in terms of post volume but delivers concise information #upandcomer

Geaux_sioux- So close to 13,000 posts. Will it happen by close of the 2018/19 season? #keepitup

Nodak651- Consistently delivers spot on statistics. Every team needs a person like that. #numbersandstuff

Sioux94- A true tailgate champion. Will he make the game at Northern Colorado? #makeithappen

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Sioux94- A true tailgate champion. Will he make the game at Northern Colorado? #makeithappen

We will see, wouldn't mind making one other game other than road trip to NAU.  Wish rental cars at Denver airport weren't so expensive, the UNC tailgate would be fun! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Cam McKinney/Mikey Greibel - one of these two will breakout based on the need for that speedy WR. 

2. Nate Ketteringham - Excited to see what he can do with our playmakers. I can't wait to hear the reports from fall camp on how he's looking but I have to imagine this is his job to lose.

3. Alex Cloyd - We have to see him utilized more in the passing game this year don't we?

4. Donnell Rodgers - I know he was already a pretty damn good LB but I think he is posed for a big year coming of the injury year.

5. James Johanneson - Will obviously be tough to get touches with Oliveira/Santiago but I think we see him more this year with Santiago being split out more. 

*Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about I am just bored on a Sunday and cannot wait for the season and fall camp to start. Unfortunately, only going to be able to make it to a maximum of 3 games but will be following along closely on here as well as TV when I can.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

1. Cam McKinney/Mikey Greibel - one of these two will breakout based on the need for that speedy WR. 

2. Nate Ketteringham - Excited to see what he can do with our playmakers. I can't wait to hear the reports from fall camp on how he's looking but I have to imagine this is his job to lose.

3. Alex Cloyd - We have to see him utilized more in the passing game this year don't we?

4. Donnell Rodgers - I know he was already a pretty damn good LB but I think he is posed for a big year coming of the injury year.

5. James Johanneson - Will obviously be tough to get touches with Oliveira/Santiago but I think we see him more this year with Santiago being split out more. 

*Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about I am just bored on a Sunday and cannot wait for the season and fall camp to start. Unfortunately, only going to be able to make it to a maximum of 3 games but will be following along closely on here as well as TV when I can.

I hope all these things happen also. Would be a great recipe for a bounce back 2018. Unfortunately, I have little to no idea if the coaching/scheme aspect of these things are actively being worked on.