SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics, Hornbacher's introduce new relationship

nodak651

Hopefully the new leadership can increase the corporate sponsorship with the athletics dept.  This is good to see.  

Need to get some money out of company’s like Scheels.  I don’t see a negative in selling some naming rights to some much needed projects.  

18 minutes ago, homer said:

Hopefully the new leadership can increase the corporate sponsorship with the athletics dept.  This is good to see.  

Need to get some money out of company’s like Scheels.  I don’t see a negative in selling some naming rights to some much needed projects.  

I agree!! :D

scheels.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What has Hugo's done to lose Red Pepper and UND?

In the case of UND, I'm guessing they didn't offer a top bid.  Probably figured it would just be business as usual and UND would stick with the local choice. 

For me, Hugo's lost it when they decided to sell Bison championship gear in the GF stores this year.  I found this to be an absurd choice for a GF based chain and sent an email complaint.  They never responded.  

29 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

In the case of UND, I'm guessing they didn't offer a top bid.  Probably figured it would just be business as usual and UND would stick with the local choice. 

For me, Hugo's lost it when they decided to sell Bison championship gear in the GF stores this year.  I found this to be an absurd choice for a GF based chain and sent an email complaint.  They never responded.  

Believe it or not, there are Bison fans in Grand Forks.  And guess what, They sell UND merchandise in Fargo as well!!  Nothing that you really need to get too offended about.  But hey, welcome to today's America where everyone is offended by everything!! :wink:

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

People wonder why Grand Forks struggles and this is another example of why.  A Fargo-based store with 1 Grand Forks location finds a relationship with the most important partner in Grand Forks to be more valuable than a Grand Forks-based store with 5 greater Grand Forks locations.

Hugo’s was fine with having extremely dated stores until Hornbachers showed up. All of a sudden it was a priority to upgrade stores. It would be nice if they did it on their own but I suppose that explains their mentality.

• Upvote 1

Hornbacher’s is not locally Fargo owned, as it was bought out more than forty years ago..  SuperValu in Eden Prairie owns it along with tons of other local chains, most of which keep their original names.  Supervalu has much more capacity to sponsor and advertise than Hugo’s, which is still locally owned.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Supervalu has much more capacity to sponsor and advertise than Hugo’s, which is still locally owned.

True, but that doesn't mean that Hugo's doesn't have any capacity whatsoever.  Lack of competition can create complacency. 

Hopefully Hugo's will use this as motivation to find ways to improve their presence, store conditions, whatever.  There are always areas to grow, in my opinion.  :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxjoy said:

True, but that doesn't mean that Hugo's doesn't have any capacity whatsoever.  Lack of competition can create complacency. 

Hopefully Hugo's will use this as motivation to find ways to improve their presence, store conditions, whatever.  There are always areas to grow, in my opinion.  :)

Like following through on long-rumored development projects on South Washington.

34 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Hugos has more locations than Hornbachers.

Hornbachers has so much more money and corporate support backing it.  Supervalu also owns Cubs Foods in MSP, and leading chains in the St Louis and the DC regions.  Most of them have a battle royale against Kroger, Walmart, Target and other chains.  Kroger stores can go up against Whole Foods at usually less than Hugo’s prices.  Hugo’s mostly just has WalMart as competition, but Hornbachers seems to be upping its games in GF. Could be the reason that Hugo’s has not completed its South Washington expansion.

33 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Could be the reason that Hugo’s has not completed its South Washington expansion.

Doubt the store going from a SuperOne foods to a Hornbachers is having a major impact on Hugos future expansion plans (believe they already bought the land). Don't forget Hugos also just announced plans for a new downtown store.

It'll be a snail race to see who wins: New hospital or new Hugos.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Doubt the store going from a SuperOne foods to a Hornbachers is having a major impact on Hugos future expansion plans (believe they already bought the land). Don't forget Hugos also just announced plans for a new downtown store.

It'll be a snail race to see who wins: New hospital or new Hugos.

Supervalu probably wants to build a second Hornbachers store in GF.  A Ray Richard’s location would be an ideal spot.

54 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I was in GF in January and visited two Hugo’s while I was there. In a word, “depressing”. 

The Hugo’s locations seem to vary so much.  The 32nd St store is much higher end.  The North End one is bad.  Hugo’s has stores in Crookston, Grafton, Thief River, Jamestown, and Park Rapids and they don’t have nearly as much competition so they don’t spend money upgrading them.

Imagine yourself in Bismarck with just Dans ( now Family Fare owned) pricing has skyrocketed and quality plummeted. They own almost everything except Walmart and Target and I wouldn't buy food there if it was free.

There is a Cashwise on the south side but its a good chance of getting gang shived in that ghetto.

They announced a new north end location for Cashwise, hopefully happens and planned for a MUCH better neighborhood.

be glad you have the competition you do in GF.

Surprised that no one has pointed out that Hornbacher's fate is a little uncertain at the moment. Current Supervalu leadership is in the end stage of a proxy fight for control of the company. If Blackwells Capital gets their way(Supervalu's largest single investor at 7.3%), they will oust SV's current leadership and replace them. The shareholder vote is set for Aug 16, and SV was concerned enough earlier this year to start talking to competitors about selling out rather than allowing Blackwells to take control.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2018/07/03/date-set-for-supervalu-blackwells-proxy-showdown.html

2 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Surprised that no one has pointed out that Hornbacher's fate is a little uncertain at the moment. Current Supervalu leadership is in the end stage of a proxy fight for control of the company. If Blackwells Capital gets their way(Supervalu's largest single investor at 7.3%), they will oust SV's current leadership and replace them. The shareholder vote is set for Aug 16, and SV was concerned enough earlier this year to start talking to competitors about selling out rather than allowing Blackwells to take control.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2018/07/03/date-set-for-supervalu-blackwells-proxy-showdown.html

SuperValu did a 7:1 reverse split last year, meaning shareholders have taken a massive bath.  They have sold Albertsons, Oslo, Jewel and many other chains, but they still are distributors for IGA stores and their own chains.  The supermarket industry is absolutely brutal if your not in line with the consumer, which now generally means prepared foods and organics.  If they want to stay in business, they have to retrench to markets that are most susceptible to them.  Hugo’s is small feed.