Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SiouxVolley

UND doesn’t have a female head coach now

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

He should have provided some context and allowed the readers themselves to form their own opinions on the matter. That is good reporting. Instead he provides almost no context. IMO it's lazy and was only written to stir the pot. 

Why did he need to provide context comparing UND to schools around the area? Why? It's a story comparing UND to the national landscape. He absolutely could have added the context, but he chose not to because that's not what the story was about. 

That last part is a lazy assumption with absolutely no proof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why did he need to provide context comparing UND to schools around the area? Why? It's a story comparing UND to the national landscape. He absolutely could have added the context, but he chose not to because that's not what the story was about. 

That last part is a lazy assumption with absolutely no proof. 

What is the point of a story with no context?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

What is the point of a story with no context?

It had the appropriate context... UND is 1 of 2 schools that has (well, could) no female coaches. The premise of the story is that UND is losing a female HC. The context is that UND is 1 of 2 schools with no female coaches. You're asking for ADDITIONAL context. Which, would is completely fine to be asking about, but wholly unnecessary since the story is comparing UND to the national landscape.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It had the appropriate context... UND is 1 of 2 schools that has (well, could) no female coaches. That is the premise of the story. You're asking for ADDITIONAL context. Which, would is completely fine to be asking about, but wholly unnecessary since the story is comparing UND to the national landscape.

No they are not.  They MIGHT be on July 1st.  That's why it was stupid and a preemptive move to create an issue when none was needed.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No they are not.  They MIGHT be on July 1st.  That's why it was stupid and a preemptive move to create an issue when none was needed.  

Which I said... 

And it's a fair point. Not sure why it was done before hand. I can't speak for the Herald in that aspect. Seems like a talker to sell papers, to me. Shocking that a business would try to make money :) ... sorry, that was very sarcastic lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While this story is interesting, it's neither important nor urgent. 

I'm pretty sure Chaves has things that are important or urgent or both that need his attention moreso. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Sicatoka said:

While this story is interesting, it's neither important nor urgent. 

I'm pretty sure Chaves has things that are important or urgent or both that need his attention moreso. 

I 100% agree with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh for sure, there's been some commentary. I don't disagree with that. However, WH did not affected him professionally, whatsoever. No way was 20 or 30% of his work on WH. Regardless, I his dislike for the end of the Women's program in no way proves he's doing anything to spite UND and the article he wrote does nothing to suggest this.

I guess disagree with that based on how he's framed articles, tweets and commentary about the UND and/or the UND athletic department since then. Maybe it is just mainly on twitter, which while not print, is definitely his "official" work account. I do not think its changed how he covers UND hockey itself, where he is easily the best in the business and Grand Forks is lucky to have him, but I think outside of that there has been a change in tone and angles.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I guess disagree with that based on how he's framed articles, tweets and commentary about the UND and/or the UND athletic department since then. Maybe it is just mainly on twitter, which while not print, is definitely his "official" work account. I do not think its changed how he covers UND hockey itself, where he is easily the best in the business and Grand Forks is lucky to have him, but I think outside of that there has been a change in tone and angles.

Fair point. Hard to put a number on how much he does of what, I guess. I just have a really, really hard time thinking this is anything but the Herald trying to make money by discussing a talker. 

To suggest the Herald or Schlossman has it out for UND and is trying to "get back at" their main source of revenue based on the idea that they didn't like how the Women's team was handled seems incredibly far fetched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

To suggest the Herald or Schlossman has it out for UND and is trying to "get back at" their main source of revenue based on the idea that they didn't like how the Women's team was handled seems incredibly far fetched.

If it were so, wouldn't it be a bit of "cutting off nose to spite face"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If it were so, wouldn't it be a bit of "cutting off nose to spite face"?

I guess I'm not great with my analogies, but this feels right :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Oh for sure, there's been some commentary. I don't disagree with that. However, WH did not affected him professionally, whatsoever. No way was 20 or 30% of his work on WH. Regardless, I his dislike for the end of the Women's program in no way proves he's doing anything to spite UND and the article he wrote does nothing to suggest this.

You clearly don't know Brad and haven't talked to him.  It definitely affected him professionally and he did a good amount of reporting on women's hockey. Every time they played, he would write a game story even if he was on the road for Men's Hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, southpaw said:

You clearly don't know Brad and haven't talked to him.  It definitely affected him professionally and he did a good amount of reporting on women's hockey. Every time they played, he would write a game story even if he was on the road for Men's Hockey.

I guess that would depend on whether you are measuring articles wrote or articles read....   I only very casually followed the women's team.  I was disappointed it was cut, but understand and agree with the opinion.  If I had to lay anger on the decision it would be with the Head Coach and the persons above him that spent the program into the dirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, southpaw said:

You clearly don't know Brad and haven't talked to him.  It definitely affected him professionally and he did a good amount of reporting on women's hockey. Every time they played, he would write a game story even if he was on the road for Men's Hockey.

Hahaha, CLEARLY. Got it.

Sure, he did plenty of work for WH, ok, so I'll concede that it affected him at least a bit, but to what extent did it affect him professionally when WH was cut? Do you think he was docked pay? Did he become less busy? Less valuable? You're kidding yourself. 

Anyway, what is your point? Are you trying to continue this theory that he is doing this to "get back" at UND or are you just trying to show how much you think Schlossman spent working on WH, just for fun? Lol

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, southpaw said:

You clearly don't know Brad and haven't talked to him.  It definitely affected him professionally and he did a good amount of reporting on women's hockey. Every time they played, he would write a game story even if he was on the road for Men's Hockey.

I'd bet dollars to donuts, Stoney knows Schloss much better than you do.

53 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Anyway, what is your point? Are you trying to continue this theory that he is doing this to "get back" at UND or are you just trying to show how much you think Schlossman spent working on WH, just for fun? Lol

This is what it comes down to. Schloss could take essentially any open NHL beat job he wants. His record speaks for itself and losing women's hockey did nothing to his career stability.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'd bet dollars to donuts, Stoney knows Schloss much better than you do.

This is what it comes down to. Schloss could take essentially any open NHL beat job he wants. His record speaks for itself and losing women's hockey did nothing to his career stability.

No one said he's in danger of losing his job (and no one wants him to leave), but he's now has availability to do other things that he doesn't have the passion for as he does with hockey. There's no way in today's newspaper industry that you can lose 15-20% of your main beat and not be required to pick something else up. 

 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Anyway, what is your point? Are you trying to continue this theory that he is doing this to "get back" at UND or are you just trying to show how much you think Schlossman spent working on WH, just for fun? Lol

No one said he's trying to "get back" at them, but there is no denying what his opinion on the matter is and it has come through in some of his work whether on social media or print. Everyone has bias's, pointing them out isn't a bad thing but pretending they aren't there doesn't do anything either. The Herald itself has had more than a few editorials that put their thoughts on some of the cuts and Kennedy himself out in the open, it isn't a big secret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

No one said he's in danger of losing his job (and no one wants him to leave), but he's now has availability to do other things that he doesn't have the passion for as he does with hockey. There's no way in today's newspaper industry that you can lose 15-20% of your main beat and not be required to pick something else up. 

 

No one said he's trying to "get back" at them, but there is no denying what his opinion on the matter is and it has come through in some of his work whether on social media or print. Everyone has bias's, pointing them out isn't a bad thing but pretending they aren't there doesn't do anything either. The Herald itself has had more than a few editorials that put their thoughts on some of the cuts and Kennedy himself out in the open, it isn't a big secret.

Again, I'd highly doubt WH was 15-20% of his job. Very highly doubt. 

It's been heavily implied, and actually by some, specifically stated, that the Herald and Schlossman wrote that article to spite UND and that makes no sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's been heavily implied, and actually by some, specifically stated, that the Herald and Schlossman wrote that article to spite UND and that makes no sense. 

It's a favorite tactic of people who don't like what was written.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cratter said:

It's a favorite tactic of people who don't like what was written.

Or people who simply want a fair and reasonably thorough recitation of relevant facts, or to at least believe that their favorite journalists are actually doing their job.

Find me a weatherman who reports "record heat" without reference to the day's high temperature, the previous record, and the year it was set.  You start throwing around "record heat" without some context, people would think you're a global warming alarmist.

He counted pull-ups, FFS.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Or people who simply want a fair and reasonably thorough recitation of relevant facts, or to at least believe that their favorite journalists are actually doing their job.

Find me a weatherman who reports "record heat" without reference to the day's high temperature, the previous record, and the year it was set.  You start throwing around "record heat" without some context, people would think you're a global warming alarmist.

He counted pull-ups, FFS.

Schlossman absolutely provided context. I said it before, the story was that UND could soon not have a female HC. That is the story. The context is that UND would then become one of two schools in the NCAA with no female HC. What part of that story has a fact that is irrelevant and what part makes it unfair?

He counted all pull ups in the combine in a story about a UND recruit doing the most pull ups. Just like he counted the two NCAA schools who have (could have) no female HCs.

I don't understand why anyone is making a stink about this other than the idea that it's not a big deal that UND has no female HCs. Saying NDSU only has two does nothing to change the fact that UND has (could have) zero. This story was done to sell papers (and get clicks) and that is what the Herald does.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Schlossman absolutely provided context. I said it before, the story was that UND could soon not have a female HC. That is the story. The context is that UND would then become one of two schools in the NCAA with no female HC. What part of that story has a fact that is irrelevant and what part makes it unfair?

He counted all pull ups in the combine in a story about a UND recruit doing the most pull ups. Just like he counted the two NCAA schools who have (could have) no female HCs.

I don't understand why anyone is making a stink about this other than the idea that it's not a big deal that UND has no female HCs. Saying NDSU only has two does nothing to change the fact that UND has (could have) zero. This story was done to sell papers (and get clicks) and that is what the Herald does.

Because there are no facts involved.  There is projection.  The fact would materialize on July 1st.

Also, he counted the next most pullups and next most after that.  Oh, and the only reason it was written at all is because he counted CM's pathetic amount of pullups from 2017 for context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Guy, I figured it out.  StoneySioux is Schlossman!!:0

And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for these meddling kids!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Or people who simply want a fair and reasonably thorough recitation of relevant facts, or to at least believe that their favorite journalists are actually doing their job.

When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Because there are no facts involved.  There is projection.  The fact would materialize on July 1st.

Also, he counted the next most pullups and next most after that.  Oh, and the only reason it was written at all is because he counted CM's pathetic amount of pullups from 2017 for context.

A projection to sell papers. So be it :)

C'mon a UND recruit had the most pull ups at the NHL combine. That's pretty cool, IMO. Plus, it's great that it indirectly takes a swipe at the Gophers! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×