SiouxSports.com Forum

UND doesn’t have a female head coach now

SiouxVolley

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

I would take odds that Chaves will change this with his first hire.  We won’t know if he did it for PC reasons or if he truly went off of qualifications. 

If your athletic department is one of two at the D1 level in this situation qualifications are not going to be #1 on the hiring criteria list.

• Upvote 1

If you are going to create news you gotta dig deeper: how many departments at UND have female chairs? How many administrative offices have female chairs? How many female coaches and department chairs within the entire state University system? 

What about coaches of color? What about LGBTQ coaches? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

If you are going to create news you gotta dig deeper how many departments at UND have female chairs? How many administrative offices have female chairs? How many female coaches and department chairs within the entire state University system? 

And, how many of these chairs, and coaches, identify as women/men??  

In this day and age it is wrong to assume.  It's also wrong to ask.  So how are we supposed to know something that is none of our business?  

Shame on you Grand Forks Herald for printing such drivel and living in the dark ages. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

If you are going to create news you gotta dig deeper: how many departments at UND have female chairs? How many administrative offices have female chairs? How many female coaches and department chairs within the entire state University system? 

What about coaches of color? What about LGBTQ coaches? 

If you are a female and also fall into the 2 bolded categories.....that's the Trifecta! 

So where is the comparison to other D1 schools in the area?  How many womens coaches does NDSU, SDSU, USD, etc have?  What is the national average for womens head coaches across the country?  Sure UND won't have any, but how many have more than 4? .  Not having that information doesn't tell the whole story.  Pretty sure there is a lack of women's head coaches all over the country at all levels.  Sure UND will now be only 1 of 2 at the D1 level, but I am sure there are many other schools with 3 or less. (BTW, NDSU has 2 womens head coaches on staff, only one more than UND had before Martinson's resignation).

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The lack of a female HC with the women’s golf coach stepping down makes UND an embarrassment to the PC world.  Only Arkansas-Pine Bluff has the same issue.  In most women’s sports, female coaches predominate.  Why is UND an exception?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4455261-new-ad-chaves-aware-unds-lack-female-coaches

So we should fire a current, qualified coach, from their job, and hire a woman to be PC? Yeah, that's a smart approach. How about, when a job becomes open, we interview the most qualified candidates, male or female, and hire the best one we can.

You're mentality suggests punishing a current coach, by eliminating their job, to create one for someone else. Not sure I understand that.

If you are running a business, would you legitimately pass up on the most qualified candidate applying for a position to hire a preferred sex or race? 

I'm all for diversity, but not at the expense of hiring the most qualified person. If there was a female hockey coach that was more qualified than Berry, or one of the assistants, by all means, give her a shot. But don't hire a woman, just to say that you hired a woman. That is a slap in the face to the program, the fans, even the female coach.

Diversity in any manner, should be a product of NOT DISCRIMINATING against sex, race, etc. It should be natural. If you have to force diversity in any manner, then you are really just shifting your discrimination from one group to another.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The lack of a female HC with the women’s golf coach stepping down makes UND an embarrassment to the PC world.  Only Arkansas-Pine Bluff has the same issue.  In most women’s sports, female coaches predominate.  Why is UND an exception?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4455261-new-ad-chaves-aware-unds-lack-female-coaches

umKXQLx.png

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If your athletic department is one of two at the D1 level in this situation qualifications are not going to be #1 on the hiring criteria list.

Didn't you get the memo? UND is Division I in name only. Our mentality is Division II. That is why we waste time with crap like this (sarcasm). :silly::angry:

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Didn't you get the memo? UND is Division I in name only. Our mentality is Division II. That is why we waste time with crap like this (sarcasm). :silly::angry:

Was that in the same memo that accused the REA of stealing from the FB program??? ;)

• Upvote 1

Number of Womens head coaches after June 30th:

UND - 0

NDSU - 2

USD - 2

SDSU - 3

Sure UND is going to be one of only two D1 Universities without a womens head coach, but it's not like other schools in the area are doing any better.  National average is 40%, so the rest of the country isn't doing great either.  Lazy reporting by Schloss not to even mention these other statistics.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Was that in the same memo that accused the REA of stealing from the FB program??? ;)

Totally separate issue, although I would argue they are loosely related. We have been running this department like a Division II program since we moved up. And look where it has gotten us.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Number of Womens head coaches after June 30th:

UND - 0

NDSU - 2

USD - 2

SDSU - 3

Sure UND is going to be one of only two D1 Universities without a womens head coach, but it's not like other schools in the area are doing any better.  National average is 40%, so the rest of the country isn't doing great either.  Lazy reporting by Schloss not to even mention these other statistics.

Not sure what would preclude Brad to need to compare UND and other schools. His fact pretty much summed it up that UND is one of 2 schools that will not have a woman head coach. Why the need to compare to others? To make it seem ok? Lol

Btw, I couldn't care less if UND doesn't have a woman head coach in the system as jobs should be based on merit, not gender, but I don't think it makes Brad lazy for not comparing UND to area schools.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not sure what would preclude Brad to need to compare UND and other schools. His fact pretty much summed it up that UND is one of 2 schools that will not have a woman head coach. Why the need to compare to others? To make it seem ok? Lol

Btw, I couldn't care less if UND doesn't have a woman head coach in the system as jobs should be based on merit, not gender, but I don't think it makes Brad lazy for not comparing UND to area schools.

The whole point of his article was one big comparison to Division 1 schools. Why be lazy and not show where UND's peers are at to add some context since he took the time to write the article? He looked through all the schools, so it isn't like he didn't have the data.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but it seems like there is always information omitted that would add context in the Herald's article lately. And for whatever reason, that information that is omitted seems to shed positive light towards the UND side of whatever point they are trying to make. I'm not saying they are intentionally biased, but it doesn't exactly do them any favors when there is a perceived axe to grind against UND/Kennedy/the athletic department.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Right, but by leaving out that information the reader would assume that this is only a UND problem when in fact it is a nationwide problem.  I get the exclusive factor of having no female head coaches is the hook of the article.  But this problem is an issue across the country, including the other 3 Dakota schools.  Is Matt Larsen aware of the lack of female coaches at NDSU?  

• Upvote 1