SiouxSports.com Forum

Destination hockey

WiSioux

I know this has previously been discussed in other threads but I couldn't find one pertaining specifically to destination hockey.

Brad tweeted today that UND's next destination hockey game will like be Nashville in two years.

Sounds great to me! Let's just make sure the rink is big enough ;)

50 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I know this has previously been discussed in other threads but I couldn't find one pertaining specifically to destination hockey.

Brad tweeted today that UND's next destination hockey game will like be Nashville in two years.

Sounds great to me! Let's just make sure the rink is big enough ;)

Sounds like a road trip to me

I’m sure UND would like to get a game in Calgary and Edmonton at some point along with Saskatoon and Regina. 

L.A./Anaheim would be a good place, all the sights and Disneyland.

San Jose 

Seattle after Key Arena is done.

Dallas 

Miami, Tampa Bay was a hit so why not try Miami or maybe Orlando.

I’m just going with places that haven’t hosted a Frozen Four or UND goes to to play non-conference games (i.e. Boston, I know Anaheim has hosted a Frozen Four).

I'm from the area, would be awesome if true. Bridgestone is a great facility and at a perfect location. I'll even bring a few friends and family with me for new fighting hawks fans. Hopefully it's not during college football season or there will be very few casual observers. On Saturdays in SEC country nothing else matters.  

I place my bets with UAH being involved somehow. 

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

Sounds great to me! Let's just make sure the rink is big enough 

2 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I'm from the area, would be awesome if true. Bridgestone is a great facility and at a perfect location. I'll even bring a few friends and family with me for new fighting hawks fans. Hopefully it's not during college football season or there will be very few casual observers. 

Eh I'm not keen on a destination game involving UAH... We need a bigger name school. A bigger, better hockey school. Apparently they've been in talks for a year, just not sure who the opponent will be yet (anybody have some inside information???)

2 hours ago, northernraider said:

I'm from the area, would be awesome if true. Bridgestone is a great facility and at a perfect location. I'll even bring a few friends and family with me for new fighting hawks fans. Hopefully it's not during college football season or there will be very few casual observers. On Saturdays in SEC country nothing else matters.  

Involved, as in playing?  The only way I see that happening is if they play a tournament type setting with UND guaranteed to play a big name school.

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

Involved, as in playing?  The only way I see that happening is if they play a tournament type setting with UND guaranteed to play a big name school.

NCHC could get two UND and lets say Denver to play Minnesota and Wisconsin at one of these destination games. Then just have the teams switch the next day.

21 minutes ago, cberkas said:

NCHC could get two UND and lets say Denver to play Minnesota and Wisconsin at one of these destination games. Then just have the teams switch the next day.

Don’t think they would want to change the format unless the league pushes them, as it is a recruiting benefit to having destination games. 

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

Since they usually play it as the Hall of Fame game to use the exemption status, I don't think they'd change the format.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bridgestone is a nice arena in a good part of town to host hockey fans.
I can personally verify those statements.
No further comment. ;)  

Pro tip

The arena is up hill from broadway bars. Best to pace yourself pregame and stumble down. 

32 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Honestly, Penn St has a good following and usually sells out their barn.  They'll only be better and more established in 2 years. I know they're not a blue blood but I like the opponent.

Can't complain about the location or rink on this one, need to find something....