SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Go into Memorial Stadium sometime.  It will take 10 mins.  Then get back to us with your thoughts.  

This is strictly a facilities conversation.   Yes, we know Rudy can coach much, much better.  Bubba needs to do much more with his handling of the game plans and overseeing his team.  There are issues other than facilities, we all know 

It wouldn't take a Ralph Engelstad to take care of that for them.  Once again, where are the football Alumni that could build a new stadium, much less the Phase 2 improvements?   Apparently they are fine with the status quo.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The new screens will help insure that fans have a wonderful experience.  The Alerus and Betty have done similar things.  Getting fans to pay for ticket is one of the most prudent opportunities.  

New screens at REA will pay for themselves over the years....without anyone noticing.

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

It wouldn't take a Ralph Engelstad to take care of that for them.  Once again, where are the football Alumni that could build a new stadium, much less the Phase 2 improvements?   Apparently they are fine with the status quo.  

That is ONE guy that stepped up for the hockey program and gave over 100 million.  Sorry, UND has mined that one guy for football yet.  They just have a bunch that only came up with 10 million for the IPF. 

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So if new (or at least non-condemnable) facilities aren't so integral in bringing in top end recruits, please explain the multiple locker room renovations that have occurred at the REA since it was opened 17 years ago.

Pull the once-in-a-lifetime donor out of the equation and I would think that football alumni have given much more back to their program than UND hockey alumni have.

It certainly shows!

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Lots of those REA renovations were done with private donations. 

Every dollar spent now saves the university a dollar later.

You realize the REA itself is a private donation, right?  They can simply say "private donations" were used for this project.  

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The notion that UND can't compete in football and other sports because they are underfunded is ludicrous.  It is all about culture, and the people continually railing on the hockey program  because of jealousies are only enabling the excuses that they can't compete because of funding.  The last I heard most of the Big Sky didn't offer FCOA, so UND should have an advantage there.  Women's volleyball isn't all of a sudden good because they received all the more funding, it is because they have coaches that changed the culture of losing and excuses. 

To argue that the hockey program hasn’t been taken to a new level after 2001 would be pure unadulterated bull$%!#. There is a direct correlation, I would argue causation, between program budget and facilities and success.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The irony of this is interesting.  Hockey won't even consider going more than five years without renovating their locker rooms and chef's quarters.  But football people are trying to bring to light how dilapidated their 80 year old facilties are, to the point I believe it will be condemned soon, and they are made fun of.  Interesting.  

Speaking for only myself it’s more of a frustration with current football staff than a failure to acknowledge the irony you’re alluding to.   HPC phase 2 will be a huge asset for football once completed. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

To argue that the hockey program hasn’t been taken to a new level after 2001 would be pure unadulterated bull$%!#. There is a direct correlation, I would argue causation, between program budget and facilities and success.

A new level, yes, but they had the culture from before.  Seems to me they won 7 national championships before the new Ralph.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Speaking for only myself it’s more of a frustration with current football staff than a failure to acknowledge the irony you’re alluding to.   HPC phase 2 will be a huge asset for football once completed. 

Right on, I gotcha.  There is a frustration level right now for sure.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The last I heard most of the Big Sky didn't offer FCOA, so UND should have an advantage there.  Women's volleyball isn't all of a sudden good because they received all the more funding, it is because they have coaches that changed the culture of losing and excuses. 

1. UND football doesn't recruit against Big Sky teams.  UND recruits against MVFC teams, most if not all of whom offer FCOA and pay their coaches more.

2. Volleyball is well-funded and has very nice facilities relative to our conference opponents.

But yes, culture certainly matters most.

• Upvote 1