SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

29 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Amazing that the REA has the power to make decisions like this while at the same time taking half of our ticket sales.  They have more power than Chaves it seems like.  New scoreboard contributes much more to the AD than a new practice facility.... lol

Won't even use half of their cash/reserves and that was using 2017 numbers.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Good for the university, the Ralph and UND hockey.

Yep.  There are definitely better ways UND could've spent the money diverted from the university into the REA (more urgent needs could've been addressed), but can't deny that it's better than having it sit in the REA's bank account earning 0.05%.  Very good for REA and hockey.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yep.  There are definitely better ways UND could've spent the money diverted from the university into the REA (more urgent needs could've been addressed), but can't deny that it's better than having it sit in the REA's bank account earning 0.05%.  Very good for REA and hockey.

They need a new banker

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm guessing he agrees with you, but is pointing out the REA has power to do much more than this.

It's just funny that the REA can somehow justify giving und only 500K a year when they have this much cash on hand.  The current scoreboard is beautiful.  

Edit: "giving" is probably the wrong word.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I wonder how they'll manage to keep the Sioux logo on the bottom....

I think that was in jest, but hopefully they are just upgrading the display screens and keeping the frame.  Not sure what that stuff typically costs, but most of the new scoreboards around the country are ugly as !@#$.

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

I think that was in jest, but hopefully they are just upgrading the display screens and keeping the frame.  Not sure what that stuff typically costs, but most of the new scoreboards around the country are ugly as !@#$.

Guessing they'll go widescreen rather than square.  Curious if they can use the current frame without significant alterations?  And if there are significant alterations, does the logo lose grandfathered status?

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

It's just funny that the REA can somehow justify giving und only 500K a year when they have this much cash on hand.  The current scoreboard is beautiful.  

Edit: "giving" is probably the wrong word.

Just transferred twice that to und athletics

Ralph Engelstad Arena

Dec. 13, 2011 – Daktronics, Inc. of Brookings, S.D., announced that Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, N.D., has installed new Daktronics LED video displays at their facility. 

“The Ralph Engelstad Arena is committed to providing a world-class guest experience,” said Jody Hodgson, General Manager. “Our new six millimeter boards from Daktronics help us achieve that goal.” 

https://www.daktronics.com/Company/NewsReleases/Pages/RalphEngelstadArena.aspx

So that was 7 years ago and be interesting to learn the details of these new upgrades.

5 hours ago, sprig said:

This year,  the 500k is old news

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. 

12 - 500k 

13 - 500k

14 - 1.1M

15 - 500k

16 - 500k

4 hours ago, sprig said:

Last time i checked it was nearly 2019

New usage agreement through 2020... the minimum is still 500K.  Not surprising that REA returned more money to UND this year after rocky negotiations were front page news this summer.

"At the end of each year, REA funds a capital reserve fund for extraordinary repairs, maintenance, and building enhancements as well as an operating reserve fund to cover unanticipated operating expenses, and then allocates the balance of its annual net income to UND athletics. The entities aim to make an annual minimum deposit of $500,000, which is also consistent with previous usage agreements.http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4462768-und-ralph-engelstad-arena-reach-new-multiyear-usage-agreement

Looks like the REA tends to return the bare minimum to UND, if possible.

I hope you enjoy the new scoreboard while all non hockey sports starve for cash.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

New usage agreement through 2020... the minimum is still 500K.  Not surprising that REA returned more money to UND this year after rocky negotiations were front page news this summer.

"At the end of each year, REA funds a capital reserve fund for extraordinary repairs, maintenance, and building enhancements as well as an operating reserve fund to cover unanticipated operating expenses, and then allocates the balance of its annual net income to UND athletics. The entities aim to make an annual minimum deposit of $500,000, which is also consistent with previous usage agreements.http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4462768-und-ralph-engelstad-arena-reach-new-multiyear-usage-agreement

Looks like the REA tends to return the bare minimum to UND, if possible.

I hope you enjoy the new scoreboard while all non hockey sports starve for cash.  

I think there is sympathy among many here?

Going to take a long shot guess here.

During UND's early pregnancy with "The Ralph", if the ND State Legislature would of accepted parental responsibilities, we wouldn't be getting a $3.8M scoreboard upgrade here next year?