SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Goes straight into the Engelstad money bin!! ;):D

scrooge.gif

As it should. I cannot believe there are actually people on here that believe a family should donate a $104 million gift to the university and get nothing in return. Especially for non-school events in a building that the family still owns. If you want all the money made in the building then you take the entire ownership responsibility for the building. Including insurances, taxes, maintenance, etc

• Like 1
  • Downvote 8

7 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Shell game is exactly right. UND needs to pay for the usage, services, and employees at the Ralph. Ticket revenue is simply the means through which UND pays for that. Take ticket revenue out of the equation, and UND needs to find some other source of money to pay for the usage, services, and employees at the Ralph. 

I understand you agree the funding for UND football is not tied exclusively to the football teams’ ticket revenue.  The athletic department is going to allocate money to the football team regardless  of the team’s ticket revenue. 

Others on here clearly don’t understand how any of this works. They actually portray it as the Ralph taking away money that the athletic department allocates to the football team. 

Changing the 52/48 breakdown or removing football ticket revenue from the usage agreement would do absolutely nothing to ensure more funding to the football program. 

I don't think we are far off here...my biggest issue is that by allocating football revenues to an entity that provides no services in return, you are distorting the financial picture of the football team in a negative fashion (not materially to the point of profitability, but it definitely looks worse than it is).  If those sport-specific financials aren't being scrutinized by the public or being used in decision-making, then it's no big deal.  It just seems unnecessarily confusing and unhelpful to me as a bystander.  My biggest concern is that the athletic department has had to tighten it's belt...but has the Ralph?  If they haven't, then that doesn't seem to be very fair to the athletic department as a whole...however it seems as though the newest agreement shifted some employees to REA, which should help alleviate that issue somewhat.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

As it should. I cannot believe there are actually people on here that believe a family should donate a $104 million gift to the university and get nothing in return. Especially for non-school events in a building that the family still owns. If you want all the money made in the building then you take the entire ownership responsibility for the building. Including insurances, taxes, maintenance, etc

Ralph donated the arena to benefit UND and UND athletics.....NOT to make money for himself. The problem is, he is dead and his entitled only child is trying to screw UND over any way she can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Ralph donated the arena to benefit UND and UND athletics.....NOT to make money for himself. The problem is, he is dead and his entitled only child is trying to screw UND over any way she can.

Easy there Chelsea Handler

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I don't think we are far off here...my biggest issue is that by allocating football revenues to an entity that provides no services in return, you are distorting the financial picture of the football team in a negative fashion (not materially to the point of profitability, but it definitely looks worse than it is).  If those sport-specific financials aren't being scrutinized by the public or being used in decision-making, then it's no big deal.  It just seems unnecessarily confusing and unhelpful to me as a bystander.  My biggest concern is that the athletic department has had to tighten it's belt...but has the Ralph?  If they haven't, then that doesn't seem to be very fair to the athletic department as a whole...however it seems as though the newest agreement shifted some employees to REA, which should help alleviate that issue somewhat.

I agree with you there. Those are all fair questions to raise and points to make. 

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Shell game is exactly right. UND needs to pay for the usage, services, and employees at the Ralph. Ticket revenue is simply the means through which UND pays for that. Take ticket revenue out of the equation, and UND needs to find some other source of money to pay for the usage, services, and employees at the Ralph. 

I understand you agree the funding for UND football is not tied exclusively to the football teams’ ticket revenue.  The athletic department is going to allocate money to the football team regardless  of the team’s ticket revenue. 

Others on here clearly don’t understand how any of this works. They actually portray it as the Ralph taking away money that the athletic department allocates to the football team. 

Changing the 52/48 breakdown or removing football ticket revenue from the usage agreement would do absolutely nothing to ensure more funding to the football program. 

I partially disagree.

Due to operating expenses, there is an average net loss for UND football that the university covers (thus football is not self-sustaining). If the net losses were reduced (increased revenue and/or additional support), then there would be additional funds from the university left that theoretically could still go towards football. That surplus is badly needed for UND football; particularly with coaches salaries and equipment. This doesn't even touch on the most important need: HPC phase 2

Anyone agree that the accounting for non sporting events at the Ralph is almost non existent?  I dont remember seing numbers clearly stated in the 990 that show revenues and expenses for concerts and other events.  Or total concessions revenue.

21 hours ago, WiSioux said:

Without the athletic budget of a Big Ten school that is literally impossible, a pipe dream. You have to prioritize your funding of sports because everyone can't have everything they want. You MUST take care of your money making sport or all of your other sports will have less available money in the future. UND's football coach is never going to have a salary on par with D1 FCS schools, we can't afford to pay a football coach (for a program in the red) millions of dollars, we just can't.

As we are a D1 FCS school isn’t your statement inherently wrong?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

As we are a D1 FCS school isn’t your statement inherently wrong?

My apologies... FBS. It has been corrected. Now would you like to address my point of not having the funding to provide all sorts the opportunity to excel at this level?

@darell1976 I do prefer hockey. But I attended every single football game and some basketball games when I was a student and lived there.  Now I live out of the area but will be moving back next spring... Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they don't know anything

49 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

My apologies... FBS. It has been corrected. Now would you like to address my point of not having the funding to provide all sorts the opportunity to excel at this level?

@darell1976 I do prefer hockey. But I attended every single football game and some basketball games when I was a student and lived there.  Now I live out of the area but will be moving back next spring... Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they don't know anything

Has anyone said they expect our staff to get paid like an FBS one?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/lifestyle/money-and-finance/4464152-metro-sports-foundation-received-85-million-engelstad-foundation

why????? fargo of all places....

is there a chance some und fb money ended up in fargo?

$8.5 million to Scheels Arena to keep it open.  How does that benefit NDSU?

UND gets real benefits from it as it a arena that can bid on regionals.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Continues to show how generous that family has been.

It continues to show according to some posters how Fargo and NDSU centric the Engelstad Foundation now is.

Without those gifts, the Scheels Arena would never have hosted NDSU basketball for their year when the BSA was being remodeled.  NDSU would have been forced to play at the Fargo Civic or Fargo North.  The state hockey tournament was played there too, taking away again from Grand Forks. :lol::lol:

But maybe the Fargo Force is more important to train hockey fans and players than NDSU winter sports are.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2018 at 5:16 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

I'd not be that harsh.  In her defense she is working with the agreement made before she was in charge.  I felt years ago when I saw the contractual agreement that this gift was to give UND a state of the art facility to run the hockey program and it was expected to generate a nice stream of revenue which much would be returned to athletics but some would spread the wealth to other good causes.

6 hours ago, bison73 said:

Please explain how UND FB money would end up in Fargo?

52% of all of UND FB ticket revenue ends up with the REA. So in reality, nobody knows where that 52% ends up. UND should collect all of the FB ticket revenue and pay the Alerus rent fro the days they have games there. But it sounds like UND administrators really wanted the $100 million arena "gift" that they were willing to give the REA anything they wanted. They will continue to struggle funding sports other than mens hockey until the ridiculous ticket revenue agreement expires. No venue should be entitled to that much of the ticket revenue even if they are hosting the event. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

They will continue to struggle funding sports other than mens hockey until the ridiculous ticket revenue agreement expires. 

It expired a year ago.

UND signed basically the exact same agreement this last week and said they felt "very good" about the agreement.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It expired a year ago.

UND signed basically the exact same agreement this last week and said they felt "very good" about the agreement.

#REAstillstealing

• Like 1