SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Glad you finally agree with me on probably the most important-among many- reasons why this name was a bad choice.  :)

All it would take is a few people pointing out Teddy Roosevelt was a white guy with a gun chasing Indians.  

As we all know, facts don't matter.   

Heck, facts not mattering is how we became the Roughrider state in the first place.  :cool:

Tear down those statues and change the state nickname

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

If MK even has this in the back of his mind, the meeting with KEM will be a disaster.

That is just my opinion based on what I know. I am sure Kennedy is better versed in the fine art of diplomacy than I (and most people on here) am. The fact that she ran to the Heraldo and lied about not being offered meeting dates tells you that KEM is not an honest broker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I would have had a tough time yelling, “Go Riders”. Nope can’t do it, and I am sure a lot of GFC alum would feel that way. I entered the name Jets but maybe being too close to Winnipeg was the reason to axe the name. 

Why can't people separate the high school and the college? I think BYU has the same thing in their town. I don't think I would have a problem yelling "Go Riders" at a UND sporting event. Now at a high school game involving GFRR and a certain other high school.....that is a little different.:)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why can't people separate the high school and the college? I think BYU has the same thing in their town. I don't think I would have a problem yelling "Go Riders" at a UND sporting event. Now at a high school game involving GFRR and a certain other high school.....that is a little different.:)

Well for some here, Darell for example, the fact that "Go Hawks" is all monosyllabic vs "Go Riders" makes it easier to roll off one's tongue.   ;)

• Upvote 1

TR said the following words about American Indians in a speech in January 1886 in South Dakota, 

"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the western view of the Indian. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indian is the dead Indian, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth. The most vicious cowboy has more moral principle than the average Indian. Take three hundred low families of New York and New Jersey, support them, for fifty years, in vicious idleness, and you will have some idea of what the Indians are. Reckless, revengeful, fiendishly cruel, they rob and murder, not the 'cowboys who can take care of themselves, but the defenseless, lone settlers of the plains.

That would not end well. 

The only thing to work against that would be the members of Standing Rock that said UND should be the Roughriders. 

Yup, Ron His Horse Is Thunder said so

His Horse Is Thunder suggested a replacement nickname that would focus on a North Dakota hero, Teddy Roosevelt.

"I would ask the UND alumni, the state board of Higher Education, . . . to take a look at changing the logo, and choose an image that all of North Dakota could be proud of," he said "We have the perfect logo: North Dakota Rough Riders. . . . Who could object to that? It is talking about bravery, it is talking about courage. I think everyone could agree on that."

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

TR said the following words about American Indians in a speech in January 1886 in South Dakota, 

That would not end well. 

The only thing to work against that would be the members of Standing Rock that said UND should be the Roughriders. 

Yup, Ron His Horse Is Thunder said so

Come on Sic, if we've learned anything from political correctness, it's that the thoughts of those who 'should' be offended, don't matter. 

27 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I suppose we could have renamed GFRR the Little Riders, or just plain River Rats is acceptable too.

22 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I suppose we could have renamed GFRR the Little Riders, or just plain River Rats is acceptable too.

Little Riders could be offensive to vertically challenged people and River Rats may be offensive to the Rodent Community.

41 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Where is the outrage that the government of North Dakota WAS giving money to build a library in the name of Teddy R. with quotes like that!

Will that quote be highlighted in his new library and museum in Medora, ND?

Fyp ;)

Here is my limited manifesto on the nickname, logo and floor at the Betty.

• My understanding from those that deal with MK regularly is that he can be difficult to deal with.  He needs to figure out how to maintain a relationship with a large donor like KEM.
  • I am not a big fan of the nickname or the logo but they are what we have and I support both.  Fighting against them serves no purpose in my mind. I was a huge supporter of the Sioux name and wanted to fight the good fight but it got too harmful for the university to continue with it.
  • It sounds like the agreement with REA is written to say that it exists for the betterment of UND (or something like that).  If that is true then the REA should honor the wishes of the men's and women's bb teams, the vb team, the AD and the president in deciding what is at mid-court at the Betty. 
  • Upvote 2